New Year...New runner

Comments

• Sounds like a tough session, not one that I would fancy.

I'm doing ok, knee really rough today, had really bad night with it image Had painkillers and feeling a little better now.

Good luck with other other runs, but take it easy with back.  After my knee I worry with pushing too much image

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Hi all,

De ja vu, out with jog scotland last night and guess what another thunderstorm, absolutely soaked! I must be mad.  Apart from the downpour it was a pleasant enough run two miles up hill 1 mile down and the remainder of the run on the flat, just over six miles in total in 1hr 5 mins bring the total for the month to 85 miles.  

• Well done, you are doing great.  did you sign up for the HM in Sept/Oct?

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

No not yet Maam, but I will

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Cricket cancelled today because opposition couldn't raise a team image so I went out for a run instead 6.2 miles in 1hr 7 mins 90 miles for the monthimage,

It didn't feel right at all my calf felt tight so I'm going to rest up for a couple of days and then re-assess.

• Sorry about the cricket, good run though.  Resting is sounding good.

I had MRI yesterday now just to wait till 11th for the results, fingers crossed.

• Hope things are going well for you.  I have now officially deferred my GNR place until 2013 image Needs must though as still not walking let alone running!

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Maam,

Sorry to hear about the GNR, but it's probably the right decision, but all the same you must be gutted image

5 miles last night at an easy pace, I've still got a calf/shin niggle but the foam roller at the gym seems to be helping, I'm also doing lots of stretching I'm determine not to turn this niggle into a full blown injury.

• Stewart

Be careful, maybe speak to someone at the gym to have a look at it just to be on the safe side. 

I am gutted about the GNR, but it will be for the best and come next year I should be fighting fit again.  I'm booked on the Silverstone HM in March so have that to work towards, will be good running the GP circuit.  Not worried about time, just getting back to fitness and having the satisfaction of completion while staying injury free is my aim. 

Off to the cinema this afternoon to see MIB3, should be fun. Still finding it tough finding enough to do to keep me motivated and going while I'm off.

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Enjoy the Cinema

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Hope you enjoyed the film, and your not too wet down in Englandshire, I hear the weather is terrible.

5 miles last night with Jog Scotland, I was helping last night so I ran at the rear of the group, making sure no one was left to run on their own.  It was a mixture of hills and steps on the route so it was quite challenging, manged to get round comfortably enough 5.4 miles in 58 mins @ 11:15 avg pace.  Can't wait for my long run at the weekend depending on the weather I may run it on Saturday,

Happy Running image 

• Stewart,

Sounds like you have a good training plan in place and reallly good that you help out now to help others along. Really proud of you for that.

The film was good, but so was the ice cream that I had with it image

Keep up  the good running image

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Glad you enjoyed the film and the ice cream Maam image, long run today just over 10 miles in 1hr 51mins, last 2 miles were a struggle my lower back tightened up making it a little uncomfotable.  I'm happy enough otherwise, kept my pace fairly easy all the way, overall it was an enjoyable run in overcast conditions, thankfully  not a drop off rain to be seen.

Happy Running image

• Hi Stewart, you had a good long run. Keep up the good work.

I've been enjoying ice cream, daytime TV, and been back to the hospital yesterday to get the results of my MRI.  Things didn't go so well as scan not conclusive so I'm in for theatre tomorrow afternoon for surgery.  They decided that I'm an urgent case.  As a result I don't know anything and may have to cancel my holiday image

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Hi Maam,

I'll have my fingers crossed for you , heres hoping you can still go on holiday, the silver lining if there was one is that you're going to be on the road to recovery sooner rather than later, good luck tomorrow, please let me know how things are going as soon as you feel able.

On Tuesday we did a five mile loop involving a hill it took 50 mins, the first two miles were on the flat @ around 9:30mm, certainly a little quicker than I would have started normally, slowed down a little on the hill but picked the pace back up once got to the top.  I'll be out again this evening it's overcast so perfect running conditions, not sure what group I'll be in this evening as I'll be helping out again, hope to be in either the four or five mile group.

Happy Running image

• Thanks Stewart,

I will let you know how I get on, once I'm back in the land of the making sense. I'm hoping I'll be back online Saturday but all depends on how I do.

Good luck for your run tonight, and sure you'll do great helping.  Bet feels really good helping others along.  Let me know how goes, sure will want something good when I come round.

Ange

• Hi all

I'm back home now, still sore but must be getting there. They have cut part of the lining of my knee out, wasn't the cartilage after all by the sounds of it.

Should be fine for holiday, but haven't seen surgeon, they sent an ENT Dr to see me today so couldn't answer questions. Will have to ring secretary on Monday for more info and next steps, don't know about work/driving/diving or anything. Haven't got physio and not back at outpatients for 6 weeks.  Nice to be home though image

• Maamalade did u have keyhole surgery?

I had a "small" knee op, cut away some patella?

Anyway the best thing I found was a cheap childs football (£2 asda type) squeezed between the thighs... don't wait around as I found my right leg had no power at first but soon strength came back.

good luck and well done both of you for motivating each other on this thread when the others left, nice effort.

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Hi Maam,

Glad your out off hospital, make sure you enjoy your holiday in Cuba, fingers crossed the op has been a 100% sucessful and you can get back onto the road too recovery image

On Thursday we ran up to the duck pond at Craig Dunain 2 miles all up hill six miles in total in 1hr 4 mins, during the run one of the other jog leaders invited me to a free session of 'Burn it' a fitness group ran by ex army chaps,.

Wow! it was tough, hill reps, core work, sprints and many other activities that hurt!  probably the hardest workout I've done too date, although it was tough I still had enough energy to do a three mile run in a little over 32 minutes.

I woke up this morning and there was this strange yellow orbe in the sky, it was kind off frightening image and as a result we managed to play cricket for the first time in three weeks image and to cap it off we actually won image

I've decided not to do a long run tomorrow I'll just go out for a gentle four or five miler.

Happy Running image

• Stewart,

Good run but does sound really really tough. I understand the confusion by that big yellow thing, but if it helps get a win then bring it on image

Mum says congrats on the win too, she came to see me this weekend with just getting out of hospital after my first op.

Knee still hurting heaps, but staying positive as it has to be the start of the recovery image

• Jellybelly69 wrote (see)

Maamalade did u have keyhole surgery?

I had a "small" knee op, cut away some patella?

Anyway the best thing I found was a cheap childs football (£2 asda type) squeezed between the thighs... don't wait around as I found my right leg had no power at first but soon strength came back.

good luck and well done both of you for motivating each other on this thread when the others left, nice effort.

Jellybelly - yes I had keyhole surgery to remove the Plica.  Thanks for the hints and tips it is more than I have had from the hospital.  They have just said keep feet moving!

Good news is my travel insurance are giving me full cover for my knee image

• Hi

Best thing is moving as soon as you can, the ball thing really helps. A small one can be used whilst you're recovering and sat down watching tv.

The other thing, agreeing with the hospital is moving your foot or in my case my heel. The sooner you start moving it the quicker the swelling goes down as fresh blood comes back into your tissues.

Keep positive you'll be back soner than you think.
  • thanks jellybelly, its bit of uphill fight trying to get advise from the hospital on what I should be doing. they have now said that I should be weight baring and moving as much as can tolerate and it will gradually get back to full movement.  I have found slight weighbaring this morning which is achievement. 

Looking forward to going on holiday and hopefully swim a bit and I'm allowed to scuba dive too.

I'm walking/moving little and often so that I don't stiffen up. Hope to be able to run again soon ish

• have you thought about an aqua jogger belt? might help your recovery

• I've never heard of one let alone thought of one! I am thinking of trying to walk in the pool while away once I can get wet, thinking will help. I'm moving regular and the Dr gave me some extra bits to do this morning so sure I'll be back in no time, or at least hoping so image

• Its all gone quiet, hope all is ok and that the running and cricket are going well.

Just wanted to say keep up the great work and I'll be back in couple weeks, hopefully feeling somewhat better and relaxed.

Oh, and I found out yesterday that I have a partial tear in my crutiate ligament too! Guess cuba will = rest and destress image

See you when I'm back, hope to have good reports to read image

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Hi Maam,

How was the holiday hope you've had fun in the sun and you're slowly getting back on the road to full fitness image

Please forgive the lack of updates, not been much to report, I continue to get out at least three times a week, twice with jog scotland and once at the weekend for a long run, J.S. have started to introduce some interval training every second Thursday, hard but enjoyable at the same time.  I've entered the Half at Avimore in October, there was only charity places left so I'll have to raise some money for the local charity the race supports.

As a result I'm going to have to work even harder over the next few weeks getting myself ready, my longerst run to date is 12 miles but I would like to get that up to around 15 by the end of September, I'll need to add one more run a week into my shedule, it will be another slow run probably around 8 or 9 miles.

I'll make sure to keep you updated with my progress over the next few weeks

Happy Running image

• Sounds like you have heaps on already and are stepping up the pace, good luck with it all but careful not to over do it.

I had a good holiday and have progressed to walking/hobbling short distances without crutches. Still can't fully straighten knee and can only bend to around 90 degrees. Still lot of pain, can't drive yet and still off work so not much new to report this end.

Keep me up to date with how you are getting on, it is helping keep me saine.  I'm trying to stay strong and focused, but hard when keep getting mixed messages on what is wrong.  I have a HM booked for early March but for now will settle for being able to walk and return to work.

Keep up the really good work image