realistic times

whats realistic?? i started running in the last week of February this year.  my pb for a 10k (last week) was 60 minutes.  I run between 3 and 4 times a week - short faster runs in the week and a longer slower one at the weekend.  I am a 43 year old female and quite goal orientated and perform well when aiming for something.  I would like a little advice on what times i could realistically aim for.  I am only 5 foot tall but not sure how much that would effect time.  Any ideas? thanks

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

How much mileage between the 3-4 runs? And at what paces?

Was the 60min 10k pb in a race?

Being quite short won't be an issue, look at some of the elite women. What will be key is how much natural potential you have.

Whatever age you start at, you should have a good 7-10years to improve.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

There are too many variables to say.

Your height has a little to do with it (being related to leg/stride length), but my friend is a good 5 inches shorter than me, but a LOT faster (even though she is older, although age has nothing to do with it either!).

Your natural, genetic make-up makes a lot of difference and you can't do anything about that.

I'd simply aim to knock a little bit off your pb each time you race and see how you go. 

Maybe follow a Smartcoach programme (they're on this site somewhere), to give you structured speed and tempo sessions.

• i am running about 3 to 4 four miles per run during the week.  definatley running faster than long slow runs as breathing much heavier and unable to talk !! first 10k was 78 minutes back in April and very hard, now much much easier.

Great to hear height and age not so much of a factor.

• stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

if you're goal orientated the best way to do it is to sign up for a 10k race and get yourself a finish time.  Then you can start working to reduce this time in subsequent races.  It doesn't really matter if its 80, 70, 60, 50 mins etc - your challenge will be to reduce it.   

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

RFF, don't get me wrong, age is a huge factor, generally the earlier you start the better your peak will be.

However, you have the advantage that you will peak in your 40s, whereas anyone starting and training seriously in their 20s and 30s will be either just about holding on, or will be declining!

In terms of your weekly mileage it's very low, meaning if you build gently and gradually your times will plummet like you can't believe.

I'll always remember a really top runner hearing i did 30miles a week years back and his exact phrase was, "you've not even started training yet" image