Insanity Workout

Comments

• Pure Cardio tonight - and wow that was intense, again I enjoyed it though so it was definitely just a false start last week!

I switched things round tonight and did my run first (5.7 miles) and Insanity afterwards, it seemed to work better that way and both went well! The only drawback was it was too late to do Cardio Abs too by the time i'd done - I shall sort that out tomorrow!

I am yet to persuade Mr Cheetah to have a go, although after doing a few myself there definitely isn't room for both of us at once without switch kicking each other or something. I'm still struggling to do jumping jacks without whacking the lampshade!! image

• Cardio Abs now done - TWICE as I felt guilty about not doing it last night and it's too blimmin hot to do much else! (I've walked 5 miles today, that's enough exercise now - on with the programme tomorrow image )

The one exercise I had a real problem with was the one where you're sitting then lift both knees up then stick your legs out and lift them up - it's not that my abs can't do it, it's more that my legs WON'T! They just don't bend that way! They won't stick out straight either - let alone lift up! I checked my form and tried adjusting my position slightly in as many ways possible - but no, my legs weren't having it. I'm not sure if that particular exercise will come up again, but if it does I can only keep trying but will probably spend most of it sitting down looking confused as my legs won't cooperate! imageimage

• This is the "sitting on floor, one leg bent with knee up and foot on floor - with other leg held horrizontal, bent in, extended out and raised" If so, my solution to this was to have my hands further back so that I could support myself better and then work the leg whilst holding in the ABS. It still hurts. Remember that we are not as practiced as the DVD people.

Hey - dont forget me and my 6 mates doing the 3 Peaks this weekend. We start our first climb at 6pm Ben Nevis on SATURDAY. We hope to end Snowdon at or before 6pm Sunday.

• Henstooth - I could do that one, it was the one after it where you do things with both legs at the same time. Or you're SUPPOSED to if you have legs that want to join in!

Good luck with the 3 peaks! image

• Ahhh - the switch kicks whilst on the floor! I know the BASTARDS. Rest assured that AT FIRST I couldn't do them (as Ariel seems to be bi-onic and a FREAK). I tried to do them but was a gibbering wreck. I concentrated on doing each leg at a time whilst keeping the ABS tight.Towards then end of training I did manage to do several in a row but NOTHING like the DVD people (in fact you can see one or two of them doing what we do). Don't frett - do as best you can, keeping form, one leg at a time keeping the ABS tight. It has the same effect and as you get stronger you will find that you can do a FEW AT A TIME.

• Recovery week completed.

long days and nights have meant I had to miss two days.

I should get back into the swing of tomorrow for the start of Month 2.

Had a really stressful weekend and so am looking forwards to smashing out some aggression on Insanity tomorrow morning.

Phew glad the weeks over, it does get a bit repetitive.

Cheers

Ed
  • Month 2 Day 1

Only time for Max Interval as I have a meeting to attend. Will do the fit test another day.

I wasn't able to switch on properly as I was still stressed and a little worried after my weekend went wrong.

But training definetely helped me work through the issues and give me a clear head for the meeting.

Feel so much better now, and ready to go!

On the other side I am definetely looking stronger and feeling stronger too.

My Misses agrees and likes it very much!

Cheers

Ed
  • Had a bit of a rough week last week as pulled my hamstring, so couldn't do to much other than recover in recovery week. Managed to Train on the saturday, but struggled a bit if honest.

Mondays workout which was meant to be fit test followed by max cardio turned into a complete nightmare after going silly eating a large filling of pasta about an hr and a half before. I felt full when I started and thought it would clear. Instead about halfway through I finally had to stop before something bad happened!

Still improvement in the ones I completed. Felt rough for the rest of the night so no max anything.....

Max plyo is something else, was probably the hardest thing I have ever done exercise wise. Wanted to stop several times, but just pushed through it, but felt sick after. Towel was soaked through. Body was shaking for ages after.

Not sure which was the worst exercise really as all the new ones are equally bad. The thought of thirty days more of this kinda scares me, but will still with it.
  • Max Plyo is my new favourite.

I can hardly move since and everything is heavy and awkward.

Phew

That is all.......
  • Hang in there Tangol.

I am back from the 3 Peaks - they say its about 2000 cals per climb. We must have used more because we had SUCH bad weather - driving rain, mental winds, reduced viz, cold at the top. Ben Nevis was tough and we thought that would be the worst - oh how wrong we were. Scarfell was just walking in a swimmimg pool as after 15 mins our boots were full of water. We almost turned back 20 mins from the top coz we just couldn't fathom why we were decending UNTIL we heard voices ahead who told us they were coming away from the top. That spurred us on. We then got to Snowdon and the weather was just as bad and we were in wet kit. The wind, rain and cold was awfull. One of our party was looking so bad I almost called in the chopper. But with sugar, nuts and water, I managed to get some colour into him and we all got down together.

INSANITY prepared me for this physical challenge. I am so pleased that I did the course. I was not phased by the effort at all; I "dug deep". Mentally I was on top of it. I became the "motivator" for all the others, and I can honestly say I got the group down off Snowdon with my chipper spirit, mind games, motivational talk and humor.

I loved it. We had so little sleep. We had a great support team who drove and fed us. We drunk a fair bit at the small cottage and I cooked a masive chili. We completed the challenge in 28 hours (and a few minutes). Honestly I am not bothered about not doing it in 24 because the weather was against us and some of the group were not fit enough for the pace needed. We all made it back (injury free) and despite us 7 being the closest of friends since 1978 - we still managed to become closer after doing this together.

• Well in Henstooth. Proud of you pal.
  • hello Henstooth and the rest of you crazy people on this blog!

i dont consider myself to be excessively unfit. i have cycled from lands end to john o groats recently and gym a few times a week but after doing a PUMA FAAS class at Virgin gym recently i heard through a friend about this insanity program and decided to give it a crack. i have always struggled with running even while playing rugby and wanted something that was going to challenge me and improve my core/leg strengt and insanity sounded as close to those PUMA classes as i could getin the comfort of my own home.

i have just started the Insanity program (Day 3 today) and wanted to find a place to share my experience with like-minded people while still at work (blog sites are usually bloked!) and having read some of this thread it looked a right treat.

i will have to check what my Fit Test results were later when i get home but my initial measurements on monday were as follows:

height - 6ft 2in

weight - 110kgs

Waist - 106.5cm

i also measured the stomach with callipers and they're a whopping 38 on the front and 24 on the side. so there is definitely some work to be done there.

• i am trying to do the workouts in the morning before work and so far so good. Day 2 was definitely the hardest with the plyo card resistence workout and this morning's workout was a different type of tough. i have had to take regular breaks though and the sweat has covered most of my carpeted floor depsite having a towel or 2 handy.

having played touch rugby last night i could already feel the difference and that was only after the fit test and the plyo yesterday morning, now that is insane. i am having the same sleeping issues as Ged where i feel i am just buzzing but when i do hit the sack i am tickets. am able to wake up early again without much hassle and looking forward to doing more.

will be hitting the pool tonight to do some light swimming as i am also training for the london triathlon later in september.

• Henstooth - well done on the Three Peaks. It sounded really tough - my absolute worst nightmare with the rain and the wind. Fare weather walker me!

Have to say this weather is seriously depressing me and all I want to curl up on the sofa and hide away from the world at the moment. Where is our Summer?? Grrrr.

I started my recovery week today. I had great expectations of it being much easier on the body.... hmmm, well the tempo is certainly slower but it still hurt deep in the muscles and still made me a sweaty betty... But I am looking forward to completing this week.

I am dreading next week when I move on to the Max sessions. I really don't think i'm ready for it, particulary in terms of my upper body strength. But I guess it's all about doing what you can to improve. I will not be giving up.

Thinking about doing P90X after Insanity! But will see how the next month goes first.

• Max Cardio Interval

Really fun this one.

It was very tough, and after your stretches, drink water as there is no opportunity to drink water for the rest of the session.

It is interval training still but instead of resting, you go right into an easier exorsise to recover, until it hurts then you go back to normal beasting.

Good to wear me out so I can sleep tonight, as I have a big interview in the morning.

My level of fitness is approaching what it was when I was a young soldier.

Cheers

Ed
  • Also considering P90X, but will my fiancee be happy if I spend even more time away from her?
  • Max Cardio Interval

Really fun this one.

It was very tough, and after your stretches, drink water as there is no opportunity to drink water for the rest of the session.

It is interval training still but instead of resting, you go right into an easier exorsise to recover, until it hurts then you go back to normal beasting.

Good to wear me out so I can sleep tonight, as I have a big interview in the morning.

My level of fitness is approaching what it was when I was a young soldier.

Cheers

Ed
  •  

Bret  Welcome buddy. Sounds like this is the training session for you. be mindful that this will KNACKER you out and you might find it tough to keep to your normal training. Identify what training is necessary (i.e - Rugby) and keep that in the diary. If you maintain the insanity course you will find that your cardio and core body strength will shoot through the roof.

AliK - The 3 Peaks was great for me. Insanity was the best prep i could have done. the weather was mental and remains so for the whole of the UK - where is the summer? As for your recovery week - remember that I skipped that so I could get more of month 2 done before the mountains, so I don't know what the recovery is like BUT I can't emphasis enough that you will have to DIG DEEP for month 2 and just hang in there. I might focus on my running distance and inter space some Insanity on non run days so as to keep the body cardio to look good for summer hols.

• Well done Henstooth! That is an amazing experience especially considering the weather. I was wondering if you were going to do the entire insanity thing again or if you have had enough???

Welcome Brett good luck!! 

I am officially half way through recovery week and I am really enjoying the slightly less intense pace compared to month one.....BUT I am slightly worried about next week got a bad bad bad feeling about the month 2 workouts......!!!!

Got to say like the rest of you I was thinking about doing p90x or possibly doing insanity asylum after I come back off holiday.......mind you I need to get through month 2 yet........

• thanks for the welcome guys! i am really enjoying pushing myself in the few sessions ive done. 

Henstooth - i am only planning on playing touch rugby and doing a relaxed swim or a short (< 5miles) run on top of insanity, so nothing too crazy i dont think??? congrats on that awesome challenge of the 3 peaks, i believe its pretty intense itself. 

EMG - how are you feeling after month 1 though? 

here are my first test results:

switch kicks - 70

power jacks - 25

power knees - 50

power jumps - 20

globe jumps - 6

suicide jumps - 14

push-up jacks - 16

low plank obliques - 30

so definitely some work to do....

• Well done Brett keep with it you will definitely improve if you stick with it.

Honestly I feel amazing I feel a lot stronger especially on my upper body and I have definitely gained some muscle and definition plus my running is stronger than ever although I may tone the running down depending on how I cope with month 2......

• thanks EMG thats great i am def looking forward to it and sticking to it. did Pure Cardio this morning, legs were heavy and had an ice bath afterwards, great work out though and enjoying the after feeling (when i've caught my breathe!!!)

im glad to hear the running is better EMG, i really need to get it up myself so i look forward to those results. not seeing much on the weight front at the moment, still hovering around the same as when i started and i am sticking to a similar diet as well...

recovery shake time

• day 6 done, def felt a lot fitter this morning, i have to admit that the ice bath worked and i had a massage on my hamstrings and calves. they were super tight this morning though but i pushed through and felt pretty good during the first super set and then the 2nd super set with the suicide level 1 drills i was dying and buckets of sweat dripping everywhere! i am battling with the ski abs thing, but i think i need to use my core more instead of my legs which i feel i am using too much in anycase. hoepfully it'll come with time. 

now i get to look forward to the rest of the weekend off and hopefully lay off the junk food today and tomororw! image 

hope you are all doing well and keep strong and keep at it!!!

• We have a great gang now - all working hard, all at slightly different stages. As for myself, having completed the session (with minor adjustments because of the mountain climbs), I feel at a bit of a loss. I have one month before I travel to Spain (holidays), and I want to look good. What I have neglected (through no real fault other than I WAS EXHAUSTED BY INSANITY MONTH 2!), is my running. I did a 10k event and a 5.5 mile before the mountains and felt strong, so I think I will start to ramp that up and interspace some Insanity on days off. After holiday - Mmmmm, what to do? The session again OR Asylum! Perhaps the session again as I reckon i would have lost some stamina from the holiday (despite the fact that I will do a couple of runs out there.)

Does anyone here use a running / exercise website? I have used map My Run for ages now and it's great for stats / maps and groups. have a look.

• howzit Hen! i use map my run/ride as well but also use Endomondo from timte to time as i prefer some its functionality. i think both are much of a muchness though

i am feeling grand this afternoon after the plyo dvd again, still havent seen much weight loss but feeling stronger with more puff as well. looking forward to next weeks challenge but you are scaring me with this talk of month 2 Hen!!! haha

• Henstooth - I use map my run and real buzz to plan my run. I like map my run but only problem is my phones GPS is sometimes out of whack which is really annoying!

As for insanity well I had to bring month 2 forward to today which should have been a rest day as I am out at the end of the week so I needed an extra 'spare day'.....

Hmmmmm so I did the fit test (all well)....then I did the max interval circuit.......OMG

Well all I can say is by the end my top was literally stuck to me.....I kept up ok till the last full body drill set when all I wanted was for the ground to open up and swallow me up whole! The extra 20 minutes BURNS........

Sooooo this is month two then........!!!!! image

• hahahaha EMG! hang in there, massive day and sounds really tough, mental strenght to keep in it!!! i am dreading month 2 but i must first face another 3 weeks of month 1 so i am trying to not even think about it. one day at a time, thats the attitude im taking. hope you feeling the benefits after today! good work pal!

month1-week2-day1 for me tomorrow morning before work, cardio power...GET IN!!! lets see if im this chirpy afterwards, watch this space!!! 

• cardio power, my word! i was a bit sluggish starting off but then got into it and my HR shot up and i was feeling goooood! still battling to get through all exercises without a break but i am defintiley feeling fitter and despite all the sweat and pain at the end i am feeling magic after an ice bath and cold shower ready to face the day ahead! i am not so sure i'll be so chirpy come 4pm or when i have to crack it again early tomorrow morning with PURE CARDIO!!! prepare to sweat buckets and bust a lung!!!

on another note RE Diet - i am sticking to it pretty well, although i had a GU chocolate mousse on saturday and had a banging headache most of yesterday and i think that might have come from the sugar spike of the mousse, what are your thoughts? also, had a lunch to go to with a mate who's swimming the channel this week and shared a pint of guiness with him and to be honest, i thought i'd really feel worse than i did this morning (sluggish start) but it wasnt too bad...will be cutting alcohol completely though from now.

my flexibility has also increased, my hamstrings which are usually as tight and short as matchsticks are definitely getting looser and i can stretch further into them so i am very excited about that!

good things people!!!! image

• Last day of recovery today.... actually really enjoyed this week despite it being the same session over and over. I think I might do it again at the end of month 2 to round off the programme. 

Tomorrow is meant to be my rest day but I am away at the weekend so will have two rest days then and so balance this a bit I will crack on with month 2 tomorrow. I'm dreading it a little but also a little excited to get on with it. I have a feeling it is going to hurt for the first few days. 

• ali!! good luck for your first day of month 2!!! awesome work....image