2013 IM Mentoring

Comments

• I think I managed to break my last mentor image  image  image 

• Shall I start, then? [yes, ok]

I'm doing my 1st tri next weekend, an Oly

I can swim a mile in the pool fc but not fast

I've done 4 OW swims and am gaining confidence, and a similar story with the bike - longest ride 33 miles

Happy running - did 1st marathon in April - 4:18. Doing another in Oct - in a running club but not a tri club.

My main issue is support. I'm really busy with 3 jobs and 2 adopted kids, but I'm confident of finding the time but not the support. Our kids are hard to handle and it's tricky to negotiate my OH being stuck with the kids on race day, or not coming at all. To many that might not seem a big issue but to us we haven't really found the solution yet.

I have Fink and have read it. I have a heart monitor but have never trained in this way. I'd love to do IM next year and am stopping myself from signing up to a 1/2 IM in Sept, at least til after my first Tri and OH agrees.

I live in Hull.
  • Sorry wouldn't ever wish to mentor anyone. I have enough stress dragging my sorry carcass around

But always happy to answer questions
  • Britrisky - I think your biggest problem is that you live in Hull!  image Everything else makes you perfect Pirate IM material.

And you will find as much support on here as you need. Believe me. It doesnt come more supportive than this.

Good luck and you will do it if you want it badly enough. 

See you at the Challenge Henley Half in October then!

• Britsky - as a recent graduate of this sausage factory, one with 'little time' to train, it can be done. It was hard work to find the time, and it was a good test of how much I really wanted to do it. Your OH looking after the kids is support at its very best, whether they're there on the day or not.

Admission: I'm not throwing my hat in the mentoring ring as I'm still wet behind the ears with only 4 tris to my name (KK will probably disagree with me on this one...).

• I am happy to mentor too. I don't really feel the need for a match maker as I am happy to work out with an individual personally whether and how we will run the relationship.

I'm probably more suited to an improver than a beginner. I'm a scientist which probably influences my attitude to training.
  • and a sound medical knowledge eh Meli?  image

• Would we need to have our ears pierced as well Melli?? image

• I would be happy to menor image

I'd be happy to take on a beginner; but probably best suited to a woman as the slower end of things 

I am not a scientist!

• I would love a mentor if there are any Pirates out there with a soft spot for high maintainance worriers!!!

Bad amature footballer in a past life and did not consider triatlons until I weighed myself New Years Day in 2011. At 14st (my heaviest ever) I signed up for a triathlon that very day. This was a sprint (ha!) event in Buxton last September. I set myself a target of 1:30 and came in at 1:33. Annoyed at missing my target, I signed up for my second the following week and managed a 1:18 in Holmfirth, and before I knew it I was bitten by the bug.

Both of those were done using breast stroke so I really worked on my swimming over the winter. This year has been quite busy with the following races

Holmfirth - 1h:22 (different course to 2011 so hard to compare)
    Nantwich - 1h:14
    Manchester 10k - 45m:01
    Llandudno Sea Triathlon - 1h:36
    Great Manchester Swim - 32m:28

And yet to come are Buxton (this weekend), Nantwich, Sandman and Holmfirth (again). Although I'm racing sprints, my training is up to regular 1 mile OW swims and 22k training runs. My longest bike to date was 90k.

I'm really looking forward to stepping up in distance and it was the advice from you Pirates that got me the green light from Mrs Stanners.

My aim is to do the Outlaw using the Fink Intermediate plan and aim for a sub 13 finish. The challenege (on top of the 2.4 / 112 / 26.2) is that I have a lovely wifey and 2 children and a new job in Manchester city centre starting in August that will no doubt be demanding on my time.

I am lucky enough to live in the High Peak, Derbyshire which means hills, lots of them, for all my long bike and run sessions!

If anyone fancies the challenge of getting someone who is a little too competative for their own good round HPP next year, I'd love to be adopted (gives Puppy eyes). I'm sure STIL would also be greatful as he must be sick of my daft questions!

• I've now got two people to mentor. One I've been talking to away from these forums for months and we get on great. The other I met for the first time this weekend and he seemed a top bloke, we've interacted loads on this forum, he knows where I'm coming from and I know his background.

I'm not a scientist, I'm not quick but I'm an enthusiastic realist who is happy to offer support. I live in Lancaster in the North West of England, have a toddler, a full time job, another time hungry job of sorts and so understand the pressures that come with that.

I did my first Ironman race 5 years ago, and just completed my 5th this weekend.

I'm certainly not a "Pirate God", I'm overweight, a bit of a wreck really.

I am ALWAYS happy to offer anyone help if you message me or ask a question on here, good luck finding a mentor, there are some very good athletes and people offering you help.

• Meldy, Raf - I think I might take a course in stitching, would save a lot of time post-race. Sweepstake on next facial injury?

Kk you wouldn't take my advice.
  • Melli - the blood stain on the shirt the next day did look rather cool! Very Piratey! image

• will someone mento me to a 2013 finish image

Ill be doing the Outlaw or IMUK .......... based in sunny sunny kent image

• Meli, you should talk to Flyaway she could give you a crash course in stitching  image

Failing that, I do needlepoint   image

• I'd love to be told what to do by meldy image
  • Try 'feck off' for a start then   image

• I had a feeling you might say that image
  • Small Seal Pup for adoption:

Female, 25, South West.
    Wanting to 'go long' next year. Love all three disciplines, though not particularly proficient in any.
    Incredibly competitive within herself, constantly wants to improve.
    Is a scientist, logical and methodical, hard working, enjoys cake, fruit tea and playing ball.

Requires a supportive home as work/life/location mean clubs etc are off limits and thus this seal is currently flying solo, which is difficult due to a lack of knowledge and hard to keep self motivated.  Requires someone who doesn't mind having questions regarding the application of the Fink inter/competitive plan. 

Warning: due to a lack of self confidence this seal can at times suffer severe self doubt and go through puddles of negativity, usually a mackrel sorts it out.

For more information please apply within. . . . 

• Not sure if I need a mentor as such but I do need some one to hold my hand ( not literally) and help me with OW swimmingimage Its my biggest stumbling block......I can swim FC ok in a pool but the thought of OW swimming petrifies me... I did join the local tri club but they didn't really have any OW swim session. I think I need someone to go with for the first couple of times just to get me started....image  The bike and run bit is not a problem, well sort of..

• I'm sure that will be very useful if I ever injury my fetlock.
  • Tommy, I think I know where you are but for the benefit of others,where is you local OW venue ??

• Tommy...come and join Slag and me at Holborough lake near Maidstone. PM me for the details.

• Ok, I'll go next.

41 (and a half) years old, hubby, two kids (6 & 4).
    I work 3 evenings a week as a community nurse (district nursing, in old money).  Hubby is a tool of the fascist state (his words), so works shifts.
    I have two hours every day Mon-Fri free for training during term time, and weekends and holiday time I fit training around hubby & kids.

Started running in 2008, never been fast but am ok with that, just love to get my shoes on and go for a run.
    A friend persuaded me to do the Kindrochit Quadrathlon last year, which is when I started swimming and cycling.  Again, nothing special when it comes to either of those, but enjoy both.
    The thing which amazed me about the Quad was that my body kept going for 15.5 hours non-stop, and I didn't die!
    Same friend planted the IM seed and since we did Kindrochit for my 40th, and she's 40 next year, 2013 will be our IM year.

Doing my first tri in 3 weeks image, oly, Gullane Beach. 

I am a complete technical / jargon numpty but a willing learner! Am also a stubborn, determined old bag when I set my mind to something.
    Recent life events have led me to adopt the mantra,"Life's too short, JFDI" 

• Ok might just do that.....i'm sure once i get going i will be fine its jist that first time thing.....
  • EricIsBananaMan wrote (see)

will someone mento me to a 2013 finish image

Whereaouts in Kent are you?

EricIsBananaMan wrote (see)

will someone mento me to a 2013 finish image

Tommygun2 wrote (see)
    Ok might just do that.....i'm sure once i get going i will be fine its jist that first time thing.....

Happy to swim with you at Leybourne or Holborough