2013 IM Mentoring

Comments

• Hi Purple

I'm in Cliffe nr Rochester image & swim at Holborough
  • Nurse / KK - I think you two would work.... No BS, straight to the point, both like running, dogs, kids, cake, coffee - met one of you, speak a lot with the other... just my three pennies worth image

(going to go and hide now as I'm sure that something i've said will be incorrect and i'm going to get bollocked!)

I have approached my mentor, someone who I respect from afar immensely, and I believe I will be able to relate to, someone who's few words of encouragement over the weekend meant the world to me, and they've said yes - so that's me loved up again image

• If anyone wants to help get me mentaly through the last weeks of training before IM Wales, I would really appreciate it. I'm struggling to keep motivated after a long 10 months training. Swinging from feeling fit, strong and ready, to being tempted to bin the whole Ironman thing as too much of a sacrifice.
  • Crux - that's normal mate. Just try and focus on the positive and use the nervous energy to get the most out of the last crucial weeks. You wouldn't be human if you didn't have doubts. Get your head right, it's a formidable weapon in your arsenal. Just think of how far you've come, don't quit now.

• Crux, 10 months in, 10 weeks to go............hang on in there, it'll be worth it on the finish lineimage

• TJ1004TJ1004 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Been on here a while now and I realise that I could do with a mentor having had wibbles for Outlaw this year and pulling out at about 6 weeks to go, still determined to do it though.

About me, slow, fat and based in not so sunny kent need help on everything although I can just about get myself sorted to run on a semi regular basis.

Any takers??

• Am available this year, not bothered whether it's a sub 10 or achieve a life long goal.

I like gadgets and use training peaks to map training and log workouts.

Motivation is a good thing but you wouldn't be here if you weren't eh ?

Can provide experience about racing/training/nutrition more than anything else but happy to 'help' with training structure, what I can't provide is the reason to get out the door when it's raining, snowing or just plain not nice, that's yours.

Interested, you know where I am.
  • Crux,

Take a week off, freshen up then hit the next 8 weeks with a vengence

If training is getting you down, maybe throw a half IM in or a sportive - remember what racing is like....

Anyway, i am happy to mentor someone, probably someone trying to go 12ish or under - can be a novice, or improver.

I am a crap swimmer, good biker and a surprisingly solid runner.

When i was mentored by Gom i was very enthusiastic... I was probably.like an excited puppy

I base most of.my approach on going long/gordo/ heart rate zones....

Err yes i am a bit of a data freak/ scientist type of approach....
  • Bedders.. wrote (see)

Britrisky - I think your biggest problem is that you live in Hull!  image Everything else makes you perfect Pirate IM material.

And you will find as much support on here as you need. Believe me. It doesnt come more supportive than this.

Good luck and you will do it if you want it badly enough. 

See you at the Challenge Henley Half in October then!

Hey - you dissin' my turf?? Hull's a winner - top teenage pregnancy rate, highest unemployment rate, highest truancy ... plus its a great place to live - love it!

But thanks for the thumbs up - its actually a Ripon HIM I'm wanting to do - Henley's a bit far and it clashes with the Great North Run.

• Crux wrote (see)
    If anyone wants to help get me mentaly through the last weeks of training before IM Wales, I would really appreciate it. I'm struggling to keep motivated after a long 10 months training. Swinging from feeling fit, strong and ready, to being tempted to bin the whole Ironman thing as too much of a sacrifice.

Dont bin it Crux... crossing that line is one of the best feelings in the world , and if you have 10 months training under your belt then you have done all the hard work ..like OC says take a few days out then hit it again for the last few weeks ... See you in Wales , i'll be the one wringing out the full 17 hours worth againimage

PS.. I am in no way qualified to mentor but am happy to talk about the Wales course and what i did to prepare and stay focussedon race day if its of any help.

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Evenings.

Working massively late and stumbled across this thread.

On page 2 - is that me you're referring to KK, I'm confused. What did you mean?

Aside from that, I'm happy to mentor. I've mentored a couple of pirates so far, one I've never met, but I did view him across a crowded room on Monday.  I'm a female athlete, late 30s, female.  I've just completed my 3rd year of IM (having done Germany, Copenhagen and Outlaw).  Next year I'm taking a break from going long, but that's not to say I'm not happy to help someone who is.  I'm a back of the packer, having done one sub 15, one smack on and, this year, with my first ever 17 hour cut off I decided to take a slightly more  relaxed approach finishing in just under 15.5 hrs.  My rare 'talent' among pirates is that I actually like swimming.

For my previous two mentees, I felt that I wasn't there enough for them and guilty that I didn't speak to them often enough.  I have trained for IM the last two years with some hefty personal commitments.  However, these commitments will change in 2013 and I should have more time available.  That said, I work better when prompted by the mentee, with a message on here, facebook or e-mail rather than me taking the lead.  So a potential mentee should feel comfortable prompting me.

I don't regularly post on the IM training threads, but that doesn't mean that I'm not on the forum, nor ready willing and able to help someone.

How's that for my advert?

• Okay, here's me:

Female, 38, stubborn as anything and high discomfort threshold. Can swim for miles but would like some OW practice and wetsuit advice. Haven't got a clue about cycling but quite enjoy it. Longest ride to date 55 miles which was an ambling charity jolly. Slow but solid runner, already got a bunch of marathons and ultras under my belt. Not into shelling out loads on fancy kit and focused more on enjoyment than competition. No kids and work part time so finding the time to train is easy; actually making myself do it is something else though!

Are there any potential mentors in the Glasgow-ish area? As well as everything else I don't know much about, I think I'd find info about local training routes and that sort of stuff very useful.

• I'm happy to help. I'm Kent based, done a couple of long ones and probably more suited to a first timer rather than an improver as in the later category myself. I will probably be doing a UK full distance race next year too. Equally happy to help on the shorter stuff. PM me if interested.
  • I would like to throw my services in to the ring,

I have gone from a complete novice, 39 year old man to a Outlaw finisher in 12hr 53 within 18 months .

Although I have only just completed my first Ironman at Outlaw , I also had a DNF at IMWales all within 12 months so ive seen both sides of the coin, the joy and the despair.

I had a great mentor who was always there when i needed him for a chat or advice and helped me with the mental side, helping me believe i could achieve my goals.

If you think i can help you out let me know

• Gastank (1/3 Outlaw... yes I only did the easy bit) wrote (see)

Nurse / KK - I think you two would work.... No BS, straight to the point, both like running, dogs, kids, cake, coffee - met one of you, speak a lot with the other... just my three pennies worth image

(going to go and hide now as I'm sure that something i've said will be incorrect and i'm going to get bollocked!)

I have approached my mentor, someone who I respect from afar immensely, and I believe I will be able to relate to, someone who's few words of encouragement over the weekend meant the world to me, and they've said yes - so that's me loved up again image

I didnt get the email  image

• joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Crux, hang around the 2012 IM training thread. Post Outlaw, probably most of the people left training for something are headed for IMW or Challenge Henley, both on the same day. Like Slag (!) I agree with OC that a few days off now are a good idea, and then we can all struggle together for the next 10 weeks!

Sorry - that's a bit off-topic. I'd also be happy to mentor someone, as long as they aren't a wimp image.

• I've trained several athletes to successful 100-mile even completions, and worked with a few highclass sprinters. Mind you, if they didnt do what they were told, they got a boot in the ribs and I withheld their evening polos...

• Thanks for the pick up from everyone who replied... Was feeling particularly low last night. I'm sure I did too much too soon and am somewhat fizzling a bit now, but i'll hold on in there. O.C's advice to do a race/sportive, I think that may be spot on. Trudging through yet another downpour solo, you do have to try hard to remeber the fun stuff! image anyway I'll head over to the training thread. Thanks again.

• TJ1004TJ1004 ✭✭✭
    Is it ok to have 2 mentors?
  • Joddly, can you teach me how to ride a bike that fast please? image

• TJ .. why would you want/need two mentors?

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭

TJ - 2 mentors could offer conflicting advice. best stick with one.

I'm happy to mentor anyone - I have one on board so far, but am open to more 

and for those who don't know me, I'm a fat old fart.  probably one of the oldest around these parts - only beaten by Ironwolf I believe (and she is well old... image ).  5 IM finishes under my ample belt.  an ex-rugby player (front row) who can be described as a drinker with a triathlon habit.  I live on the seaside in GWR - you'll need to work that one out....

oh - and I've retired from IM racing image

• fat buddha wrote (see)

oh - and I've retired from IM racing image

regularly...

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭

only 3 times, NV.  I think Pebble holds the record with 8.... image

• So do people who retire do so just for the triumphant comebacks?

• Iron Rose wrote (see)
    Am available this year, not bothered whether it's a sub 10 or achieve a life long goal.

I like gadgets and use training peaks to map training and log workouts.

Motivation is a good thing but you wouldn't be here if you weren't eh ?

Can provide experience about racing/training/nutrition more than anything else but happy to 'help' with training structure, what I can't provide is the reason to get out the door when it's raining, snowing or just plain not nice, that's yours.

Interested, you know where I am.

Rosey - I have pm'd you... after this weekend I could definitely use some sensible advice should I go long again next year image

• brilliant thread!!!

ello image 33 year old 5ft 2" podgy (back at weight watchers as of weds 4 july to lose 28lbs) competitive female looking for technical mentoring for 140.6 late season 2013. ideally looking at challenge henley but maybe outlaw if feeling good. based Gloucestershire.

Will need serious arse kicking/motivation during heavy training which always brings on major wibbles and a dark mindset.

also looking for someone to keep me realistic, as i imagine i race like rachel joyce, when i actually race like a podgy short person image 

i really despise swimming as i am flippin useless at it! have had lessons so basics are there. fear of water that i cant see the bottom of a bit issue.
    LOVE the bike, my fave part, must learn simple mechanics though.....
    have run two marafuns, but running is my darkest area as i forget to enjoy myself!!!

first sprint tri was May 6 2012, next one July 22nd.

• This feels a bit like the pirates version of dragons den..... I'm too looking for a mentor, would like to complete Outlaw as my first IM. I'm a 38 yo Male based in Atherstone Warks. I have a full time job which includes international travel, I also have a young family one little girl 20mnths, 1 little boy 3yrs and thankfully a very supportive wife.

Looking for a mentor for support, some technical, some fitting it in.......and with training plans techniques ETC. 

My running's not too bad, I'm a member of the local running club and expect to complete my 3rd marathon in Oct (Chester) in approx 3:45 - 4:00.

Swimming - Started FC in April in the pool, swin 60 ish lenghts twice a week, and its coming along slowly,I haven't attempted OW yet and don't have a wetty.

Cycling - Haven't done any long rides, cycling twice a week approx 16 - 25 miles, up to 17.4 mph.

Anyone willing to take another beginner preferably in the area that I could possible use for help with first open water sessions and longer bike sessions?