2013 IM Mentoring

Comments

• GB .. good choice, you two will be well matched!

My dance card is now full as well, I have a couple for Team Meldy, I forgot to mention that no one is allowed to beat their mentor  image

• Ok....Who wants a challenge??

For any one who met me at the weekend will know I'm an old codger...... but a tough, stubborn old git.

I live in the Manchester area and do my Ow swimming in the Salford Quays,

Background , done marathons, half marathons (1980's)  played rugby, gym etc, always kept myself in reasonable condition.

10k..55mins....5k...25mins

Entered  Outlaw this year only for my dreams to be shattered 8 weeks out with a fall off my bike resulting in fractured Fib and dislocated ankle. Cast came off 2 weeks ago and have managed to get some swimming, turbo sessions in .Did the 3k swim on Saturday 1.32 (think I was second last) but coming back from injury didn't give a shit where I came just glad to have finished it.

Physio will determine when I can start running again but until then I will keep up with what ever I can.

So what do you think???....image

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭

Razor - PM me - I like a challenge.. image

•  

Before I clog up anyone’s time, I could do with some advice about how far off the mark I am with even entertaining the thought of an ironman.

I just cannot get the thought of IMW out of my head. It’s pulling at me with some invisible string! But could I do it? I run, but I’m not fast (marathon pb at Loch Ness 2011 was 4:13) and I know nothing about bikes, cycling or swimming. I’ve now got a road bike and have been pootling about on that and swimming for a few weeks now. But, I am unbelievably slow. I have read all about people who can’t swim/cycle being reassured that lots of people start in that position. But what happens if you’ve started, but are already worried about the cut off? I read somewhere that you have to average 16mph on the bike to make it – I barely average 14mph and that’s only over 11 miles on a reasonable flat. Surely it will be enough of a challenge to increase the miles to 112, I just can’t see how I can speed up as well. With swimming I’ve had 2 lessons now (three to go) and done one OW session. Most of what I read is that people should get lessons, get their technique sorted and it will all work out. That actually depressed me as my instructor said my technique is quite good – if my technique is good, yet all the breaststrokers still overtake me what scope is there from improvement?

• KK..cheers for the coffee and sound advice...I'm thinking more 'yes i can do this' rather than 'oh shit' at the minute...guess that will change! Be good if your other mentee was south west based as well...though guess its not vital. Think I read somewhere that Nurse ratchet is looking for mentor and is based this way....someone also posted that she likes cake and Chardonnay ... Winner in my book!
  • PL - I'm intrigued to read responses to your post, because I'm in almost the same boat as you, speed wise ... perhaps if we get picked by a mentor we might pair up?

Like you I really want to do it and I believe I could tough it out endurance wise but really unsure where speed comes from if it's not there already.
  • Maybe someone good at lists could update the list of newbies and their mentors, or nebies that still require a mentor.

• Britrisky wrote (see)
    PL - I'm intrigued to read responses to your post, because I'm in almost the same boat as you, speed wise ... perhaps if we get picked by a mentor we might pair up?

Like you I really want to do it and I believe I could tough it out endurance wise but really unsure where speed comes from if it's not there already.

Sounds a very good plan!

• Princess leah............there are many on here that did an ironman with a much slower marathon time than you..........

to do IM you need to averaage 14mph on a course that has a 16 hour cutoff..as long as you caqn swim and do T1 in 2 hours which is the majority apart from the truley bad swimmers..crap swimmers usually manage........

before my firat IM i rarely averaged 12 mph on my bike............but the closed roads and the adrenaline of the day made me finish well within the cutioff.................

IMW is a tough bike though.............so you would want to get a lot of bike miles and hills in...........its a lovely course but tough..............

regarding the swimming..............if you are not scared of water or open water then i think the hardest part is done.its just a case of learning the technique and practise

• Thank you Seren, that is VERY encouraging.  Is your mentee (is that a word) list full?

• PL- a 'get you round' might look something like:

Swim 2 hours
    Bike 8 hours (112/8=14 mph average)
    Run 6 hours
    Adding in transitions then that'll get you a 16:xx something.

I think you're possibly getting a bit ahead of yourself in the worry stakes.  If I'd told you that you had to run a marathon after only a few weeks of running you'd have said no (I guess), so trying to judge whether you are capable of covering 112 miles at 14mph at this stage is too early.  Ditto with the swimming.  The more you do the better you will get. 

That said, the IMW bike course is an absolute b*****d.  If you do want specifically do IMW in preference to any other iron distance you will need to find lots of hills to practice on. 

Edit: x-post with Seren, but relieved we didn't flat contradict each other

• i need one!!!! i have only just seen kk's one space left post image

1. IronHolgs & Gastank
    2. Tired Badger &
  • Thanks FF - you're right it is a bit premature and I take your point.  I guess I just asked at this point as if the answer was "err, you are off your head, no way" then I wouldn't bother trying to sell myself (so to speak ) to any mentor image

I do wonder why it is IMW that tugs at me - I watched the trailer that they had before the first one and I just remember watching it over and over thinking I wanted to do it, and I wanted to do it there.

I have told Mr PL that we need lots of trips to Tenby with my/our bikes.  He didn't think I was totally joking, but I'm not sure he realised how serious I was being!

• 1.IronHolgs & Gastank
    2.Tired Badger &
    3. Princess Leah (and possibly Britrisky) &

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭

looks like Razor is sorted...image

• PL....you can PM me if you want.but a warning.my only DNF was last year at wales...........i will be back and it will not get me next time.........image

• Tired Badger wrote (see)

Maybe someone good at lists could update the list of newbies and their mentors, or nebies that still require a mentor.

You're out of luck TB.  There's no-one on this forum who's good with lists.............

• so excited!!!! Thank you so much kk!!!! image

• ET7 wrote (see)
    KK..cheers for the coffee and sound advice...I'm thinking more 'yes i can do this' rather than 'oh shit' at the minute...guess that will change! Be good if your other mentee was south west based as well...though guess its not vital. Think I read somewhere that Nurse ratchet is looking for mentor and is based this way....someone also posted that she likes cake and Chardonnay ... Winner in my book!

Cake - tick

Chardonnay - tick

Based in Scottish Borders.

• seren nos wrote (see)

PL....you can PM me if you want.but a warning.my only DNF was last year at wales...........i will be back and it will not get me next time.........image

Have just PM'd you - hope it worked! image

• Hope your mentoring is better than your geography kk