2013 IM Mentoring

Comments

• Ironholgs wrote (see)

ps: Britrisky - I love Hull, went to uni there and think it's a great place image

It really is, its just that it has such a bad press some are even too scared to go there!!!

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/events/the-hull-marathon/193511.html

• mellifera wrote (see)
    I want to like your post bedders!

image....an old softy at heart

• Postie I need you! Or anyone else willing to take on a complete novice....unless you all tell me that an Ironman in 2013 is a daft plan...

I haven't done a triathlon before. I haven't got a road bike.

But I can run - slowly! - (x country 10k sub 50) and I can swim - also slowly! - (pool mile just under 40 mins). At the moment I run 25-30m p/week over 4 sessions and swim 2-3m over 2 or 3 sessions. And I cycle to work every day (albeit a shortish distance and currently on a MTB). 

So I am not completely useless, and would (begrudgingly) defer to the wisdom of other Pirates and go for a 70.3 first if you could convince me it was a better plan...But, I'm in a bit of a training lull and I am looking for a challenge. Preferably a big one. I am the keenest bean you will find and have heaps of time to dedicate to training....what does anyone think??

• Hmmm realised I missed out the vital stats - I am female, 26, based in S.West - and I'd be happy for a virtual mentor, as I have a performance analyst and a PE teacher on hand (2 brothers!) to help me through day to day training if I need it....

• yellowrubberduck wrote (see)

So I am not completely useless, and would (begrudgingly) defer to the wisdom of other Pirates and go for a 70.3 first if you could convince me it was a better plan...

Nooooooo. Dive in to IM and don't look back! I did one pool based sprint tri, then signed up for an IM straight away and did it a year later. Make a 70.3 part of the training for IM...mad but that's what my mentor told me to do

.........fb......nuff said.

• imageimage Bedders are you having the same problem as me with my 'faceless shadow'?

yellowrubberduck wrote (see)

Postie I need you! Or anyone else willing to take on a complete novice....unless you all tell me that an Ironman in 2013 is a daft plan...

I haven't done a triathlon before. I haven't got a road bike.

But I can run - slowly! - (x country 10k sub 50) and I can swim - also slowly! - (pool mile just under 40 mins). At the moment I run 25-30m p/week over 4 sessions and swim 2-3m over 2 or 3 sessions. And I cycle to work every day (albeit a shortish distance and currently on a MTB). 

So I am not completely useless, and would (begrudgingly) defer to the wisdom of other Pirates and go for a 70.3 first if you could convince me it was a better plan...But, I'm in a bit of a training lull and I am looking for a challenge. Preferably a big one. I am the keenest bean you will find and have heaps of time to dedicate to training....what does anyone think??

PM me duck

• seren nos wrote (see)

i think you need a new swim mentor Schmunkee...............have you considered asking Plum imageimageimage

Oi, not my fault I don't know the difference between 25m and 400m imageimageimage

• Schmunkee - The List Fairy wrote (see)

seren nos wrote (see)

i think you need a new swim mentor Schmunkee...............have you considered asking Plum imageimageimage

Oi, not my fault I don't know the difference between 25m and 400m imageimageimage

Well....your last swim mentor did let you down and leave you to it.....in waist deep water! image

• I've linked up with Postie now, so that's me sorted image

• AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭
    ST Rutland water I think brintisky put me on to it. Nov 4th.
  • AliBear thought so Mathschick and I are doing that to as our first Marafun image I'm from Leicestershire Mathschick from Nottingham, where you from? We hang out in training for a smaller Tri thread, come say hi image
  • I am willing to mentor someone preferbably in the South West

I have done 6 IMs going from 13:40 down to 11:12

I am knocking on a bit and am based in cornwall i tend to keep training basic the most technical i may get is a basic HRM

I am a pretty competent bike mech so am good with bike maint/problems i dont mind what standard all i ask is bags of enthusiasm, honesty and no BS if you sre the type that is invlined not to shun your training i may be your man!
  • IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

Schmunkee - The List Fairy wrote (see)

seren nos wrote (see)

Well....your last swim mentor did let you down and leave you to it.....in waist deep water! image

Her mentor can actually swim..............I only volunteered to keep her company..............she obviously fancied the canoeist company more than mineimage

most people can cope with my company for more than 25 metresimage

• M...eldy wrote (see)
    Iron Rose wrote (see)

OK, if I haven't scared the brave souls off that have already PM'd me I am full up. Roll on 2013, the pair of them just need to decide what race now image

Can I tell them the truth now? image

Best not

• I have a willing victim image

I probably came accross as a bit of a twat earlier mentioning 12hr ish target etc

I think its important for a mentor to understand the stuff a mentoree is going through. so if possible choose a mentor that was where you are now if that makes sense. they will know what they did to get through things so will have lots of really relevant advice

Oh and 12 hrs is about average for a bloke.... ( 13 for a lady...?)

Of couse pirates are not average though
  • Noob Alert

PLEASE SHOOT ME

I am clearly looking over a parapet into a very dark abyss. I have been around since time immemorial, and this year have decided to think about triathlon.
    -9 or so years of running, with 17 marathons, the best just sub 3.
    -2 years retirement since then
    -swims like a brick (crap swimmers are us)
    -bikes like a noob.
    -mental age 19, physical age 50

I need a mentor with a sense of wicked humour, and a sized 12 right boot.
    I'm not aiming to win an Ironman, or even get Good For Age (if they do that sort of thing). I'd be happy to finish before final cut off in each section.

The question is whether KK is too sensible....

• It will never stop raining but no reason not to ride, MTBiking in prep for off road winter duathlons image

• Blisters Kittenkat may be better based than me to mentor with rides invyour area etc still happy to help if you want it
  • Alternately Appledore and Salisbury...group rides sound good to me - going to need all the help I can get image

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

Always willing to mentor anybody through open water swimming, but I have little experience of running or biking so would be no good at the whole tri thing.

Four years ago I was terrified of OW to the extent that I had a panic attack the first time I went in.  Now you can't get me out of the water.  Happy to share experiences with those who are scared of their first OW swim.

• SuperCaz - when it fits in your diary, I wouldn't mind getting together for a sea swim especially with the swim event I have in mind for 2013/2014
  • I would be happy to mentor someone too if there is anyone who still needs some help.  I know what it is like to be back of the pack and chasing cut offs so anyone who fears that I am happy to give back some of what I have received from others image

• I'm happy to mentor anyone who is willing to take advice from a brick like swimmer!
    as I've mentored runners previously,  incl a group of novice runners to Marathon success last year.

4 IM completions nearer the back of the pack (13h - 15h range),  but I've personally learnt something from each one.  Am based in Sussex / Surrey so someone Southern based would work out better for me...........30 day free trial with full refund if not satisfiedimage