Sat 7 July 2012

No, I don't know where I'm going
But, I sure know where I've been

Yesterdays words: Where Angels Play by the Stone Roses - Predictable or what

Well i'm ready for a weird experience. I was talking to a fella yesterday and he said - "once the wind isnt from the North East you'll be grand" - Look at weather this morning - Wheres the Wind - You guessed it - Its not too strong I hope!!

Wabo - If you havent read by now I'm doing a Triathlon with a Sea swim.

Jasas!!

Comments

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Morning.

Paddy  good luck.  Look forwards to the report image

Wabo is it 6 days till Cleo and mum are here?

What: lemsip followed by hen do!

Have a good weekend all.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Morning!

Didn't Birks use these lyrics the other day?

What: probably a walk and may include a few 10-12 second slooow runs. And stretches. And does gardening count? Need to try to do some before the next rain arrives.

Enjoy your races, those that are involved.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Morning.

The floods have subsided slightly - hoping to find a route that doesn't involve wading through ankle deep (or worse) water.

Five more sleeps Wabo image

Hope you feel better emzap.

Glad you all had a good day Alehouse.

Go for it Paddy!

What:         LSR
    Why:          it's currently dry
    Last hard:   watching the weather
    Last rest:    11/6

Lyrics - yes. In fact that was me yesterday afternoon, whilst the rain had stopped by the time I was able to run we were flooded all around.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Morning

Lyrics: Yes.image

Had a long lie but walked Geordie

Run or indoor bike later

Been scrapping wallpaper off living room last ccouple of nights. More to do today. Count that as Cross Training ?

Have a good one

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

morning all

jasas indeed paddy!!!! go well, cant wait for report

emzap yeeeeeessss! 5 sleeps in fact as LMH said. they land at heathrow thursday at 5.20pm, cannot wait.  I just hope Jodie has an easy time on that 12 hour flight! She is flying to Lima monday so she has  a couple of days till the long haul!

birkmyre too right its cross training.

wish you better emzap

oh lmh, that must be horrid all that water around! luckily I dont have that, I live at the top of a hill, friday hill to be exact so I am safe from flooding. Enjoy your LSR

what: nothing I cycled enough yesterday 42 miles

why: rest up and I am having a fun up London day, woman in black a meal in a BBQ restaurant (cant remember the name) and a stroll I reckon

last hard: yesterday

last easy: weds

come on paddy!!!!!

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭

alehouse I thought we had these lyrics recently too

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Just checked...Birkmyre used these lyrics on Thursday! Don't get too wet dahn Landun Wabo: just had a phone call from one of my runners complaining how wet she is!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Paddy: Don't worry re lyricsimage

Thanks re cross training.

• Best of luck with that tri, Paddy. 

Solid cycle yesterday Wabo.

Wythenshawe parkrun today, Alehouse, is the Sizzler the same course? Was pretty wet and disappointed with my time even thought I felt that I ran ok.

• How bizarre - quite hot and humid for my run (maybe I can blame my slowness on that) but had to turn back twice when I encountered flooded stretches of road where I have never seen flooding before. They're now not predicting any further rain until 1600hrs and just a heavy shower then so maybe it will all settle down. Where's summer?!?

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Afternoon

Just up image

Paddy - you're just keeping us on our toes aren't you image re the lyrics

Wabo Not long now

What: something  short and easy
    Why: what it says on the tin
    Last Hard: Wednesday
    Lyrics I do indeed

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Hi 7D: no, Sale Sizzler course is nothing like the parkrun...the Sizzler is almost entirely road...no grass at all! Nearly went to watch this morning but decided to busy myslef in the garden.The parkrun course is notoriously slow...the Sizzler is pretty quick: look at the results from last time...124 beat 20 minutes! See if you can spot any of your recent competitors! Not many races are as quick as this one due as much to the depth of quality of the field as the course.

http://www.race-results.co.uk/results/2012/salsiz121.pdf

My very wet runner in London won her 5k and is very pleased. So am I!

• Cripes, that is quick, I'd have to break PB to finish top 150. I should be along at the next one though. Cheers Ale.

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

been very heavy downpours here, on and off! Oh well take a brolly 'up London'!

• It's started early here too though just a short, sharp shower so far and currently rumbling with thunder.

I'm with Pammie - where's the report Paddy?

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Well done Paddy! image
    The first part of the report might make interesting reading, though!!image

I managed 8 x 100 metres ever so slooow with stretches after each with no leg problems: mustn't speak too soon, though as it will be in the night or the morning when I can mak some sort of judgement re progress. The running was part of a 30 minute walk.

No rain at all here today, but had to walk a long way round to avoid flooding. Getting very dark, though.

• Lyrics familiar, but can't place them. I can hear the song in my head though.

Tri group bike ride this morning. 55 miles done and my legs are MURDERED.
    We checked the weather radar and tried to avoid it by going into the Cotswolds. That's Cotswolds as in Cotswold hills. Some wet, some dry. Some hills were actually down. We lost one group member (she missed a turn towards a beast of a hill), so I went back to find her. By tracking her wheel prints through puddles I caught up after 8 miles of chase graded effort, 90% HR and blowing like a steam train. The nice part was the final few miles before home, with smooth tarmac, light traffic and a 40mph descent.

Fell asleep in the bath.

• Well.

First of all apologioes re the lyrics. I did know they were used recently but it was what i felt like!!!! Any you should all have been up to post different words - Lazy Lazy people.

First of all, ny first Tri started with a serious fright - not quite near death but very frightening and ended as quite a positive experience.

Anyway, I arrived good and early and went to register - forgot my One Day Licence - Back to the car and got it. Went back and registered. A fella I know brought a 100PSI pump for me to use and I discovered my bikes tyres had only been at 50 PSI - Item 1 on the shopping list.

Pumped up the first tyre and broke the valve - change required - now no spare for the race. Item 2 on the shopping list.

Rumours of a cancelled swim were abound as the wind was strong and from the worst possible (and unusual) direction. Normally the wind would be from the West/ South but a NE was not good news. Went for a look at the Sea - Jasas!!!. It was akin to the start to Hawai 5-0 or that Old Spice add (for those of you old enough).

The verdict was a reduced swim (750M) with the direction changed.

Put on Borrowed Tri Suit (item no 3 on the shopping list)and borrowed wet suit(Item no 4 on the List).

Race briefing and down to the beach. As I fancied meself as a bit of a swimmer I took a good position to "get off".

Hooter sounds and off we go into the "choppy" water. Jasas again. Up and down like the one of those oil wells in Dallas. Started with by best fancy crawl - but only one flaw - couldnt breathe. Resorted to Breast stroke - get to marker and It'll be alright whe we turn across the tide. Anyway got to marker and at this stage i've more salt in my stomach than a processed food factory.

Started to struggle seriously and considered pilling out but of course that wasnt an option. The Sea was really bad at this stage - serious "up and downing". The saving grace was the decent spread of canoes and boats of the safety crew.

Eventually got to the second marker after two or three efforts at the crawl discovered that is just wasnt an option - breast stroke all the way it was!!!!.

Turned towards the beach and just kept going - got out of the water in 6th last position, but delighted to be still with you all!!!. Couldnt run the transition - got to the bike and stripped off wetsuit but had to sit down for a minute to "gather myself".

Got up, put on helmet and glasses and got on the bike - immediately felt better and into a big gear. Saw them all lined out along the road in front of me and followed. The Cycle was superb - Passed out many and I'd say I got back to about 20th on the bike (maybe worst 25th). The 42k of cycle went well and i got back to transition.

Whip off the shoes and go to put on  running shoes - school boy error - laces still tied with treble knots from last race. Must get those quick release/ tie lace things - Item no 5 on shpopping list. Anyway got up and ran the 10k. Passed a few more and finished in 12 place, second vet.

After the start i had i can tell you i'm pretty happy with that. If i had eliminated the lace issue i probably would have won the vets race as I was second by 60 odd seconds. Still got a prize for meself.

Approximately 100 competitors took part.

Rough splits:

Swim (750m) 20 mins odd

T1 2.40 odd

Cycle (42k) 1.13

T2  1.30 odd

Run (10k) 37.40

These are approximate and my finish time was about 2.15.

Not quite time to change to Paddy UTM but must consider a few more swarrays to the dark side..

Talk later

• WOW, Well done Paddy, I've heard that there's a special liquid that you can take after races to help alleviate the problems from "over-hydrating".

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Great report paddy - felt i was there. Well done

Going to be an expnesive shopping trip. Those pumps are a godsend

Managed 2.48 miles today  surprisingly felt good Beginning of the week i thought i might struggle to do 25 miles i think i'll be ok though

• Excellent report. 10k in 37 after all that is a big effort.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Well done Paddy, thats awesome image

Southampton 1st Parkrun today.... a very fast course with a years best by 24 secs... for a 19:26.

Various other miles to a total of 13.5m and feeling good

LOL about the lyrics

Take care all

• Fantastic Paddy - sounds as though you're hooked image Lock laces are fantastic - and not just for tri, since first using them I've put them in all of my running shoes. That shopping list suggests to me that you're looking for your next event!

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Well done RFJ: shaping up well, fast course or not!

Paddy: saw the result earlier and knew there was a swim story! There will probably be a Guiness story in the morning, too!

• Evening

Paddy: Good race report. Also loved the Old Spice wave size description . I'm old enough to remember those adverts. image

RFJ: Good race.

Still wet up here...