Unrealistic?

Hi, advice please.

I completed a c25k in 6 weeks after years of weight gain and no exercise, although just before I did, started to swim for a couple of months doing about 1200m in the pool 4 times a week. I'm now 4 weeks into running my own routine, around 5 - 6k 3 - 4 times per week and am increasing speed (from about 13 mm when I started to a 10.50 today, yay!). I'm doing a Race for Life 5k next weekend and have signed up for a 10k in early October. The charity I work for had some places for the Run to the Beat half marathon in London on 28th October and I have signed up for a place. Is it completely unreasonable to expect to run all the way around, or is someone at my basic and poor level of fitness going to really struggle? I've bought the Hal Higdon Novice 1 app but am nervous about increasing my mileage so much.

All advice extremely welcome but please be nice (been a bit burned by RunnersWorld.com beginners forum which is filled with competitive runners telling people like me that we shouldn't be racing as we're essentially embarrasing and holding up all the elite athletes!!!)

Thanks!

Comments