The 2012 Pirate Kit Order Thread

Comments

• Gastank - the simple answer is.....

You have ordered kit before image

• Hi Schunkee, i logged on a while back but have only just posted, I train with Ridge Back Max, Flower Power and Cornish Digger, I was with them and completed the Outlaw, I was at your pub presentation, and thought I would like to be more active.

• kittenkat wrote (see)

KK - I am not sure why you have used that smiley when you raised your concerns a month or so ago and it was duly answered by Barley.

kittenkat wrote (see)

Guys, some new people are getting put off by this thread. I know I've had mail, let's just welcome everyone. Anyone can join and order kit, isn't that what the Pirates are about, welcoming people into triathlon.

I think it's wrong to give people the third degree, because that's what it feels like.

Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)

All, Just want to make it clear that anyone is welcome to order pirate kit, there is no vetting or acceptance process.

Id like to think that the pirates are open and inclusive, theyre not an official club, neither are there any rules. This works both ways, in such that if someone is asking for kit then I think its fair and a demonstration of our interest to ask them why what races theyre doing, maybe where theyre based etc. Its not a case that theyre being judged on this basis.

Also, sorting out the kit order can be an onerous process, collecting order confirmations and payments from dozens of people takes time. If someones asking for kit with their first post on the forum, I think its fair to ask them a little more about themselves. If that's their only communication with us how will we get in touch with them in a couple of months when the kit order is being organised.

As has been said about minimum orders, if we get to 16 and that comprises 6 people that have only posted once and arent contactable, change their mind etc then the order process gets postponed.

Everyone thats ever wanted/paid for pirate kit has had it collected.

kittenkat wrote (see)
    Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)

All, Just want to make it clear that anyone is welcome to order pirate kit, there is no vetting or acceptance process.

Id like to think that the pirates are open and inclusive, theyre not an official club, neither are there any rules. This works both ways, in such that if someone is asking for kit then I think its fair and a demonstration of our interest to ask them why what races theyre doing, maybe where theyre based etc. Its not a case that theyre being judged on this basis.

Also, sorting out the kit order can be an onerous process, collecting order confirmations and payments from dozens of people takes time. If someones asking for kit with their first post on the forum, I think its fair to ask them a little more about themselves. If that's their only communication with us how will we get in touch with them in a couple of months when the kit order is being organised.

As has been said about minimum orders, if we get to 16 and that comprises 6 people that have only posted once and arent contactable, change their mind etc then the order process gets postponed.

Everyone thats ever wanted/paid for pir

• The supporters kit comparison is a poor argument.  People who order supporters kit are not subject to minimum order levels.  They can buy their gear as and when they like. 

As Barley said, we are not stopping people who want kit.  We are merely asking them what their intentions are so that we can gauge whether we will still reach minimum order levels when the kit order is ready to go in. For example, two people who are on the kit list have not posted since October 11; one of those has a total of 2 posts, both on the same day they signed up, the other does not have PM enabled.  So, figures for that piece of kit may well be overstated by 2. Surely that's not fair on the others who also want that kit item and are expecting the order to go through based on the figures shown on the list

In addition, is it not friendly to ask people a little bit about themselves.  The Pirates have previously had accusations of being cliquely. Surely by asking people to tell us a little about themselves we showing an interest in that individual and being welcoming

So, I'll expect your smiley to be a regular feature on this thread

• I'm sure I've seen pics of people wearing Pirate tech tees, are they available anymore?

• DTT - I *think* they were from Carvalho.  if so, GasTank has an email address for them (it may also have been posted on this thread a couple of pages ago)

• Hi everybody, 

I have recently started reading about the pirates after completing my first sprint tri and am totally addicted! I am doing the 'little woody' in August and would like to order some kit for when I start my training for IMUK2013! 

If possible could you put my name down on the list for a monaco and gillet both in large? Thought I better go bigger just in case! Thanks

• Adam - in order that we may get to know a little more about you, please could you let us know what your Tri ambitions are and what attracted you to the Pirates.
  • I'm not sure as to what to fill you in on- what do you want to know? I dont mind answering any questions as it seems a fairly friendly forum...like I said I am new to the sport of Tri but love the training and the idea of competing in a race.

• Ah rite - well my triathlon ambition currently is to finish IMUK next year! I have signed up to a half iron this August just to get a feel for the atmosphere of a race and to see if I can cope with the distance! I enjoyed running previous to starting Tri training but the bike has opened up a whole new world to me and is rapidly becoming my favourite! I enjoyed recreational swimming but swim is weak for me - I am an asthmatic and find it hard to 'come away' from needing my pump (any advice for that much appreciated) so often panic in the water but am getting better! I first heard about the pirates mentioned in 'Ironholgs' book and liked the sound of belonging to a group of like minded individuals (as I currently know no other triathletes). Also I ran part of my last tri (the lakeside triathlon) behind a pirate and enjoyed riding the coattails of their support! (Couldn't find them after to have a chat to). I hope that answers a little more...I am a little long winded sorry!

• Adam .. its just a little in the way of introduction, we need to know you'll look good in black n yeller  image

Welcome aboard .. I suspect its Andy Holgates book you have been reading?

www.pirateshipoffools.co.uk will tell you a little about us in return

• Another one brought to the fold by Holgs image

The pirate at Lakeside may have been Gastank. He hangs (or is that harangues) around this thread from time to time, and also is in the Fatman to Ironman thread. Why not pop in there for a chat? They are a friendly bunch and Boss Holgs checks in there too
  • And Tim, to answer your question, you can find your t-shirt, umbrella, hat, pointy stick and any other pirate related stuff in the pirate bazaar

• Cross post there !   Whereabouts are you based?

Oh and dont be surprised if someone decides that you need a new name   image

• Adam Stubbs 5 wrote (see)

Ah rite - well my triathlon ambition currently is to finish IMUK next year! I have signed up to a half iron this August just to get a feel for the atmosphere of a race and to see if I can cope with the distance! I enjoyed running previous to starting Tri training but the bike has opened up a whole new world to me and is rapidly becoming my favourite! I enjoyed recreational swimming but swim is weak for me - I am an asthmatic and find it hard to 'come away' from needing my pump (any advice for that much appreciated) so often panic in the water but am getting better! I first heard about the pirates mentioned in 'Ironholgs' book and liked the sound of belonging to a group of like minded individuals (as I currently know no other triathletes). Also I ran part of my last tri (the lakeside triathlon) behind a pirate and enjoyed riding the coattails of their support! (Couldn't find them after to have a chat to). I hope that answers a little more...I am a little long winded sorry!

Adam - welcome... see my avatar, I suspect it was me you were following at Lakeside, sorry you didn't see me afterwards would have gladly had a chat (Meldy no need to comment)

• Gas will talk to ANYONE.  And I mean anyone.  Smacks of desperation to me imageimage

• It sure is that book - you must be getting quite a few showing interest from that book! I just hope I can keep up with you all image!  

• I think you'll find you'll be fine.... unless it's last orders.... Then You've got your work cut out! image

• Holly_Golightly wrote (see)

Gas will talk to ANYONE.  And I mean anyone.  Smacks of desperation to me imageimage

takes one to know one... fools never differ.... great minds, etc etc .... if the shoe fits Holly

• So Gastank, Lakeside. Grays lakeside?

• Hope - I think i won the "last orders" prize at Outlaw this year image

Holly - Gas will talk AT anyone me thinks you'll find image

• Thanks Holly I will bear that one in mind image!

So Gastank how did you get on? I finished in 1.48 made a few silly errors but all part of the learning curve lol!

• Yeah, and who was it that ordered my taxi using THAT name? Grrrrrrrrr!
  • Yep Hope i was there doing my worst.... I used to live there about 6-7 years ago, so it was quite nostalgic to do a race at my regular shopping haunt (still go there reasonably regularly) Why?

Stubby you need to change your name...

• Adam Stubbs 5 wrote (see)

Thanks Holly I will bear that one in mind image!

So Gastank how did you get on? I finished in 1.48 made a few silly errors but all part of the learning curve lol!

Schmunkee - The List Fairy wrote (see)
    Yeah, and who was it that ordered my taxi using THAT name? Grrrrrrrrr!

1h 30' 41" Stubby, had a blast!

Muckee I think that may have been me, ordering cabs for you using a shortened version of your real name... have u found your specs?