Jane Tomlinson Leeds 10K

Sticky88Sticky88 ✭✭✭
Thought I start a new thread, after I got itchy feet (pardon the pun) after my first marathon 2 weeks ago, and decided last night to sign up for Jane Tomlinson's Leeds 10K in July. Anyone else doing it or have done it before?

Comments

• Hi Sticky88. I've done the race a few times. It's a friendly race and there's  more road-side support than you tend to see in other 10k races mainly because a large part of the race goes along Meanwood Road where there are a large number of residential houses on either side of the road. 

In truth it's not the most scenic of races though the first bit is a circuit of Leeds city centre, but it is flat and they always seem to get the good weather (though I didnt do it last year).

Suspect if you put your mind to it you could get a fast time but its such a huge field you'll do well not to get caught up in traffic.

You'll enjoy it. I always do.

I'm surprised there are still places though. It used to fill really quickly. 

• I'm doing it for the first time this year. Looking forward to it.
  • Sticky88Sticky88 ✭✭✭
    A Chimp Writes wrote (see)

It's a friendly race and there's  more road-side support than you tend to see in other 10k races mainly because a large part of the race goes along Meanwood Road where there are a large number of residential houses on either side of the road. 

In truth it's not the most scenic of races though the first bit is a circuit of Leeds city centre, but it is flat and they always seem to get the good weather (though I didnt do it last year).

I'm surprised there are still places though. It used to fill really quickly. 

Thanks for the overview of the course! Didn't realise it's so popular with the places, I must be very lucky! Glad to hear it's flat, and the good weather is always welcome!

Blef, I'm looking forward to it too! Good luck!

• Hi Sticky88

I'm afraid 'chimp' was a little circumspect with his description of the course.However I agree that the support is good and the atmosphere terrific.Whilst the route out and back on Meanwood Road is flat and somewhat boring there is an elevational gain of 417 feet overall.Most of this is between miles 1-2 and the 'sting in the tail' when running up through the city centre towards the end of the race.The shops should take your mind of this along with the thought that you have virtually completed the race.

Do not be put off as you will be swept along by the participants and you will hardly realize that the inclines exist. You will I am sure enjoy the day, so best of luck.

• Sticky88Sticky88 ✭✭✭

Hi Irregular

Thanks for the incline warning! Better to be mentally prepared than get stung by surprise on the day image

Something else I also remembered - get near the front at the start as there are loads of slow runners and walkers who can be a bit of a nuisance if youi wish to crack on.

• Sticky88Sticky88 ✭✭✭
    irregular wrote (see)

get near the front at the start as there are loads of slow runners and walkers who can be a bit of a nuisance if youi wish to crack on.

Thanks for the tip Irregular.  I also read on the info page that the start is divided into 'Runners, Joggers and Walkers', and there will be 2 assembly areas according to race number.

• Sticky88Sticky88 ✭✭✭

Good luck everyone doing this sunday's Leeds 10K. Don't forget your wellies, or maybe even your flippers!

• Bring your disposable bin liner !

Weather forecast is not too bad????

• Sticky88Sticky88 ✭✭✭
    irregular wrote (see)

Bring your disposable bin liner !

Good idea. Hope that matches my orange tutu, don't want to spoil the look! image

• Sticky88Sticky88 ✭✭✭

Hi Compo, it's this sunday. Wanna join me for a swim.....I mean run?

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

o dear   can,t    doing Birdsedge race  near Holmfirth

• was good race shame a got stuck right at the back and had to dodge and weave my way through but still managed a 57 min finish was not happy when me and my friends didnt get a medal in our goody bags they must have been short.image

• I enjoyed this too, enough to sign to do the Jane Tomlinson in York in a few weeks time. I also got stuck right at the back and it took me over 11 minutes to get to the start. I managed to finish in 1.04.55. I took a whopping 10 minutes off my time last year and well over 3 minutes off my previous best 10k time. I even managed a sprint finish from the top of Park Row, down the Headrow and across the finishing lineimage

• i was 4 mins from my pb i would have beaten it if i could have been nearer front one to remember for next year i am entering leeds abby dash that looks like it would be a good one to do and just blackpool half to finish the year

• Sticky88Sticky88 ✭✭✭

Wasn't it a glorious day? It was proper summers weather with maybe just a little too much sun for running. Disposable bin liners definitely wasn't required.

I was fairly near the front, even then, there was a lot of weaving and braking needed at the start.

bradders13754 wrote (see)

i am entering leeds abby dash that looks like it would be a good one to do and just blackpool half to finish the year

The Leeds Abbey Dash is a good one to do. The start is organised according to predicted time finish, so slightly better than just 2 categories at the start! Also the start appear to be not as narrow as the Leeds 10K, so less weaving required!
    Well done everyone! It was my first, but will be my regular every year now!

• yeah i will be doing it again next  the crowds and all the cheering was such a buzzimage

• Not my favourite I actually ran well but missed a PB because of a very slow first k running past those starting at the front and walking almost straight away. It is a run for all though, Lincoln 10k has runners of all abilities and walkers but avoids the same debacle.

I am getting into smaller 'runners' events such as Woodhall Spa 10K which was a joy to run. I never thought when started running last September I would become a running snob!

• It was hard getting past a few people but I was one earlier

In year lol