Why am I gaining weight??!!

Hi there, I'm looking for some advice. I've been used to running an average of 20 miles per week over 4 days. Recently though, I've gradually increased my mileage to 25-30 miles over 6 days a week. I've made sure I have been increasing my calories to replace the extra miles energy use (I'm a bit of a calorie nazi so am very controlled over ensuring my needs are met)... But I'm gaining weight! What??! Why is this? I know I'm not over-eating. And surely muscle isn't built this quickly (a few weeks). I'm really confused. I've Googled etc and still can't come to any conclusions as to why this is happening. I'm into the last stages of recovery from an eating disorder, and thought I was ready to let myself increase my running again, but this very rapid weight gain has got me stressing out! I've gained 7 pounds over four weeks. Maybe water weight? (I can't see how.) Or could it genuinely be muscle?! My Clothes feel a bit tighter so maybe it really is fat, but hOw? It's stressing me out and I'm considering reducing the running to see if the weight drops back again. I thought about the whole starvation-mode idea but I'm making sure I replace my calories. Has anybody else experienced weight gain when they've increased their mileage, and if so, was it temporary? X

Comments

• 'I'm into the last stages of recovery from an eating disorder'

Reading the full context of your post, I dont think you are

If you have professionals that you can talk to during the course of your recovery then I would talk with them, they have the full knowledge of your medical history

• How much have you increased your calorie intake by to compensate? 5 extra miles is in the region of 500 kcal, give or take a bit - over a whole week. Possibly slightly less if you are metabolically efficient.  Thats 70kcal a day - maybe less; not a lot to compensate for.

As per the previous post - if you are tracking your calorie intake to 70 Kcal per day I don't think the armchair PhDs here are the advice you need...

• i agree, may i gently suggest you get back in touch with your health supporter-type person and say just what you have to us, to them?

it can be overwhelming to have to be in control of such a vital thing as eating, add in the elation which comes from good healthy exercise and its easy to feel a bit panicy.

take a deep breath and have a chat with someone who knows you.

all the best

• summerrain wrote (see)
    Maybe water weight? (I can't see how.) Or could it genuinely be muscle?! My Clothes feel a bit tighter so maybe it really is fat, but hOw?

Just to make the point that tight clothes won't tell you whether it's fat, muscle or water. Weight gains for all three reasons will make your clothes feel tighter!

I also agree you should probably discuss this with your healthcare provider who has full details of your eating disorder rather than a bunch of people online. Hopefully they can reassure you that it's a healthy weight gain required to support your increased level of exercise. Good luck and well done for getting this far with your recovery!

• summerrain wrote (see)
    this very rapid weight gain has got me stressing out! I've gained 7 pounds over four weeks. Maybe water weight? (I can't see how.)

Stress can be a contributing factor to water retention, so there is a small chance it could be affecting the weight gain. But as everyone else has said, it is probably best to discuss this with a proffesional.

• I guess so. It's just that first stage of panic after seeing the unexpected result of exercising more, I just wondered if this had happened to anybody else. I will indeed speak with the team that are treating me next week, as that is when I next have an appointment. Thanks for reading though.