Dropped food

Dropped food.

Do you employ the 2 second rule ?

Comments

• HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭
    10second rule in our house.
  • M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭
    Mostly.

Unless I've not cleaned the floor for a while.

I have picked up fruit pastilles when I've dropped them in the road and eaten them whilst out running.
  • BookyBooky ✭✭✭

It's a 5 second rule for me. It depends what it is, where I've dropped it and what it looks like when I pick it up image

• limperlimper ✭✭✭

5 second rule here.
    It's a scientific fact, tried tested and proved in my house, that cat hair can adhere to dropped food quicker than bacteria can.  

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

nah - just blow on it, it'll be fine.

• Having once been a student, I'm shocked by this talk of 5 SECONDS !!! ... in your archetypal student house in the 80's it was more of a 5 DAY rule, and even then it was probably still ok as long as liquifaction hadn't begun !!

However that said, now living in a house with 2 Northern Inuits, there is no such thing as food hitting the floor, any falling food is located, targetted and scoffed before it even reaches ground level !!

• I have an additional conditional rule. if my husband has seen it land on the floor, it goes in the bin; if he hasn't, I blow it (or maybe rinse under water) and carry on. 

• Yes at home, no in the big kitchen

• Yes at home, not outside. I recently found a chip on the sofa.... I ate it, no idea when that was from... it was just automatic.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

5 second rule indoors. If it's outdoors - not unless i'm really bloody hungry.

Helen Liz wrote (see)

I have an additional conditional rule. if my husband has seen it land on the floor, it goes in the bin; if he hasn't, I blow it (or maybe rinse under water) and carry on. 

I love this rule!

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

10 second rule for me. Unless I am cooking for other people in which case my standards are higher.  I also eat food that is several weeks past its use by date, but again I wouldn't serve it up to other people.

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭

if it drops on dog shit - 5 secs

anything else - as long as it takes

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Depends - did anyone else see that I dropped it?

• As long as the fluff can be blown off it is fair game. A bit of dirt never killed anyone...obviously if was clearly inedible then I'd get rid! When I was a kid working with horses I was known for sharing an ice cream with the horse...and I lived to tell the tale.

• Vixx76 wrote (see)
    JvR wrote (see)
    seren nos wrote (see)

GFB................i still think its really sad that someone feels they have to live alie all their lives.............hide who they are...........yes its hard when they realise too late to avoid marriage and kids..............

I think that now people are more aware of transsexuality, its been on television a fair bit over the last year, My Transsexual Summer, My Dad's A Woman, and the drama Hit and Miss most recently.

Chances are that now a lot of transsexuals will be able to seek help at a younger age when its possible to halt or reverse the effects of testosterone and eostrogen. Even more than that, then the impact on other people can be minimised by helping them before they get married, have children and all the other things that people do and which quite a few transgendered people end up doing.

That's almost the same as my dad's generation. He is a gay man and when he was growing up it wasn't the done thing to be gay (think it was still illegal initially then age of consent was 21), so he got married and had me and my brother, but told me that I ruined his life because if I hadn't some along he wouldn't have been trapped in the marriage to my mom.  His issue, but with the gay rights movement becoming more visible, it is easier to be gay now than it was back then, and so there are more gay men and lesbians that can choose to have children within a gay relationship, rather than having to get married to hide who they are.

Emmy_bug wrote (see)

5 second rule indoors. If it's outdoors - not unless i'm really bloody hungry.

Helen Liz wrote (see)

I have an additional conditional rule. if my husband has seen it land on the floor, it goes in the bin; if he hasn't, I blow it (or maybe rinse under water) and carry on. 

I love this rule!

Managed to spill half a tray of roast potatoes on the floor while taking them out of the oven the other weekend.
    Teenage son didn't notice as he was in a world of his own. Other half wasn't in the room so I scooped them back into the tray and put them back in to finish cooking image 
    No complaints so they must have been ok image

• 30 sec rule here.  I remember years ago being round at my friend's brothers house, and we'd just got a Chinese delivered.  The brother dropped the fried seaweed on the carpet, and we all just looked at each other.  He started to say 'oh no, what a shame' thinking it would have to be thrown out, until they realised I wasn't at all bothered, so he retrieved it from the carpet and carried on.  Politeness almost denied us the seaweed! image

• HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭
    Oh goodness Lee that reminds me of an incident after a raucous night out. We'd been for takeaway and were staying overnight as guests of friends. After the curry was plated it was put on a tray and on the journey frm kitchen to living room the plate started to slide. I over corrected and launched said curry off the tray and head first onto the brand new white couch. We did scrape it back off the couch and ate it. The couch never recovered :0(
  • Hahahahaha! White couches are NEVER going to be a good idea; they're just begging to have red wine poured all over them. Or curry. Glad you at least saved the dinner!
  • HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭
    Sadly I vomited it up later that night. They found the noodles still hanging in the U bend whenn they took the bath out a couple of years later. (it was that which end do you stick on the loo dilemma)
  • image they obviously should have 'Mr. Muscle'd' that u-bend many moons before!!!

• In every good Irish household the rule is pick it up - kiss it up to God and you'll be grand image