Asics or other goretex trainers

I'm hoping someone out there can point me in the right direction regarding Asics trail type shoes....

Currently on my fourth pair of Asics Gel 3030 and love them, tried others but found these the most comfy and sort out my over pronation issues. My challenge is that I'm fed up with this rainy summer that is forcing me away from the river bank and onto the tarmac.

I am thinking about buying some Asic Gel Trabuco GTX (14 I think), which seem to have goretex uppers and also the Duomax sole that should help with over pronation. I've been googling and see most trail shoes have no or little support due to the terrain.

The more I look around the more confused I am, are the old model? Is there a new model due? When do Asics lauch new range? HELP.....

The Asics site is litle help, I'm hoping someone on here has experience of this is similar shoes.

Comments

• Goretex will just keep the water in the trainer. Shoes always have a massive weakspot - the holes where your feet go in. You'll be less squishy with normal mesh shoes.

Embrace the wet feet ! 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I've got some Goretex ASICS and they're good across mixed surfaces and do actually keep your feet dry, but only to a point. The downside to them is that the soles aren't designed for mud so unless you invest in some shoes with studs, you'll be slipping and sliding all over the place.

🙂

• What Cougie says.

IMHO you are better off getting shoes that dry quickly. Much cheaper too - Goretex always seems to come at a premium.

If you're willing to consider something other than Asics, take a look at the Mizuno Wave Ascends. I find these a reasonable compromise between grip and cushioning. Did 10k last night in them on a 50/50 mix of mud and tarmac - absolutely perfect.

• I had a pair of goretex lined trail shoes, and will never buy any again. As others have said, they just keep your feet wet!

They may be okay for just running through wet grass, or along good trails where there are just a few puddles, but anything more than that and it just comes over the top and stays there.

Now got a pair of fairly minimal trail shoes with big holes with the easy in, easy out approach to water. Pair this with a fairly thin pair of wicking socks and the result is much more comfortable feet in my opinion.

• TheVicar wrote (see)

Bles the lord my soul - Taize Chant also any Byzantine music

99 Problems Jay Z and I quite liked David Guetta Titanium

Pete S wrote (see)

What Cougie says.

IMHO you are better off getting shoes that dry quickly. Much cheaper too - Goretex always seems to come at a premium.

If you're willing to consider something other than Asics, take a look at the Mizuno Wave Ascends. I find these a reasonable compromise between grip and cushioning. Did 10k last night in them on a 50/50 mix of mud and tarmac - absolutely perfect.

RicF wrote (see)

I've got some Goretex ASICS and they're good across mixed surfaces and do actually keep your feet dry, but only to a point. The downside to them is that the soles aren't designed for mud so unless you invest in some shoes with studs, you'll be slipping and sliding all over the place.

Thanks Ric, which Asics do you have?

It's less the mud and grip per se, so studs would be overkill for someone like me - I know you post a lot on Stevie G with guys who would get more use of proper off road stuff. Me personally I had a nightmare experience in "normal" shoes when I got wet feet running in moderate puddles 2 year ago on an LSR when training for a half - the blisters took three months to disappear completely. I'm now seeing all the paths looking wet, hence my thoughts on Goretex.

To the other replies, thanks for the views - wicking socks seem like something to look for as well

Cheers