Options

NSPCC Milton Keynes Half Marathon

2»

Comments

• Options
    runlozrunrunlozrun ✭✭✭

Anyone know good spots for spectators, not running this year but a mate is so want to provide some support.

• Options

Running prep all done with a 10Km this morning.

Spin class tomorrow maybe. Pool work Friday. Rest Saturday.

Rain still forecast with comfortable 18 deg.

Good luck all!

• Options
    Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    Sounds good. I did a fast 10mile Friday and a very slow 13mile Sunday with hangover. Will knock out an easy 4.5mile tomorrow AM and Friday PM.

Looking for a sub 2hr after my pitiful 2h27m last month.
  • Options

My long runs have been appalling the last month, DId the MK 10K last night to get some redway practice in and a couple of other 6 milers this week.

Just aiming to try an survive sunday and enjoy it.

• Options
    Can't wait ! Ran the Southend half marathon in 2.10.55 just a minute outside my best. Been taking it easy since including 8 days in Ireland. This week I just ran short runs as my body wasn't feeling it. But tonight I felt good. Nice comfortable 6 miler . Will take it easy now . Travelling from south east London. Aiming to run it in 2.05 image
  • Options

Hi all - I wrote to the organisers about any potential cancellation/postponement with all this rain forecast for the weekend.  I'm driving up from Kent tomorrow so thought I'd ask.  Their reply:

"Hi Vatau – we have been watching the weather closely over the past couple of days and the forecast has gone from heavy rain, to light rain and back to heavy showers again! However, we believe that we will be on the fringe of the really torrential rain that is forecast for the next 24 hours or so. 

In the past 14 years, this race has been run in all conditions (including very heavy rain) and we do not anticipate that there would be conditions on Sunday that would make us cancel the event this year.  We will be keeping a close eye on any parts of the course where there might be standing water (ie under a couple of underpasses) but the race is run on the city’s redways which are generally well drained.

I hope that this reassures you and that we will see you on Sunday."

• Options
    Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭

Superb.

Two of the problems I have in the rain should be solved with some careful placement of tape and Vaseline.

The other one, other runners cutting across to avoid puddles, I can live with.

If I remember correctly, there is a wooden walkway across some marshy ground at about 10-11 miles that will be slippery.

• Options
    Johnny2323Johnny2323 ✭✭✭
    When I booked this race three months ago I never thought I'd have to worry about it being cancelled cos of the weather. Bonkers.
  • Options

Thank you Vitz! Sounds like a PB is out of the question then. More like focus on not slipping !

• Options
    TimR wrote (see)

If I remember correctly, there is a wooden walkway across some marshy ground at about 10-11 miles that will be slippery.

Yup, it zig zags a bit aswell, just after the canal section I think it is. Might be running in my most knackered runners if it looks like they will be soaked the whole time, don't fancy ruining a newer pair...

• Options
    Johnny2323Johnny2323 ✭✭✭
    Bit worried about all the traffic heading to Silverstone. Anyone know if the M1 is likely to get clogged up? I'm coming up from London.
  • Options

All set for tomorrow just packed my bag got everything from a vest to a sou' wester

• Options
    Johnny2323 wrote (see)
    Bit worried about all the traffic heading to Silverstone. Anyone know if the M1 is likely to get clogged up? I'm coming up from London.

I'd have thought it would be ok, you can come off at 13 or 14 for MK and 15a is where the SIlverstone traffic will be directed too, but you can always come off at J9 and head up the A5 through Dunstable. Single carriageway but should miss any Silverstone Traffic.

• Options
    Johnny2323Johnny2323 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Padders. Gonna set off an hour early to be on safe side.
  • Options

That is helpful Padders. Cheers.

• Options
    runlozrunrunlozrun ✭✭✭

Well done for all who ran it, 3 olympic athletes took the first 3 places.  Managed to see my mate 3 times round the course and he beat his PB by 3 minutes so hopefully everyone else did well.

• Options
    Johnny2323Johnny2323 ✭✭✭
    I beat my PB by a couple of minutes. Very happy. Loved the course (well, the flatness of the course!).
  • Options

First half Mara for me and set a new PB image. Was all good though, warm but not stupidly so, no rain and no floods to run through. 

Plus alot of great support from the locals and marshalls. All in all a good event.

• Options
    So right Padders! A great run and the weather was kind. It was my slowest 1/2 but that was due to a Bakers Cyst in my left leg so I'm happy to finish.

Any results posted anywhere yet guys?
  • Options
    Well done everyone who got a PB today. Slightly envious as for whatever reason my legs just totally went at 13k and then it was a battle of attrition not to DNF. Just gonna put it down as a bad day. Nice course though and really friendly and well organised event. Cheers
  • Options
    Johnny2323Johnny2323 ✭✭✭
    Chip times are at

http://racetimingsystems.com/

Is the Half that's in March as good as this one?
  • Options

Well done all.  No PB for me but an improvement on my shocker at Southend in June so not totally down.  

Next half: Maidenhead in September.

Happy running all!

• Options
    Johnny2323Johnny2323 ✭✭✭
    Oh, I'm thinking of doing that one. See you there!
  • Options

Sweet Johnny2323. There is a RW forum up and running for Maidenhead Half. See you there!

• Options
    Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    Well done padders. It's a great feeling of acheivement isn't it? Here's to many more.

My race prep went a bit awry when I was invited to Silverstone for the Saturday, had a few beers and camped over, was woken in the night by people returning to their tents. Still managed a PB for the course and much better than my last half in June.

A good day out and being able to say I have raced with the Malawi runners was a good bonus.image
  • Options

I really enjoyed that. Shaved nearly 3 minutes off my PB  so I am very happy with that. Beautiful trail through the countryside that I just had to take my camera out and take some snaps! And they came out alright ha image