advice to improve my 10k sub 34mins

hi all. im 15 and i am curreantily running a 34 minute 10k and am looking for some advice to further imnprove my 10k time to hoppfully sub 32 by the end of this seson. any advice welcome. thanx.

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Hi Simon, I'm double your age and a minute slower...can you give me any tips? image

In seriousness though, totally depends on what you're doing for your 34s currently...

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Simon, you're on the wrong forum. This is for real runners not future Olympic athletes. Actually the best thing I could advise is gradually increase distances run and speed but also not to the point of getting really tired. Its a subtle increase in loading, a seven miler in place of an eight or an 800m track rep in 2:28 instead of 2:29. I believe its possible to race faster and faster off a certain level of training before having to increase the training levels. This is a long term process, at 15 years of age you have statistically another 12 years of improvement, so no need to rush things.

🙂

• thanks for all your tips. stevie g. if your realy seroious about running then you should deffentily join a club or seek advice from a profestnail coach.the best way to imnprove though is to vairy your training. you need to have the edge on your compettors so you need both speed and endurance.without thease two components you can not imnprove any further. i would recomend throwing in a few sestions of speed work allong with the endurance work,no doboutly your already doing,to further improve your last streach and give you an edge over your competors. i would recomend doing reps of 400mx6 and 200mx8 a copple times aweek along with endurance work of say,a steady state run of 6 miles followed by core exourisesthen the following day a 10-14 mile run at a lower pace.every week i would advise you to increasse the speed or the durration of your traiming but only increasse the milage once your contofable with it. eventuaily you will imnprove it will take time but dont give up.

• parkrunfanparkrunfan ✭✭✭

Simon - just to put some context to this, 34 mins would rank you No.4 in the UK for U17, anything below 32:31 would rank you No.1. And you're only 15!

Now I notice that you havent yet run a certified 10K, so that is probably your first priority.

Again to add some context, I could probably match your 1500m time but I cant get anywhere near 34 mins for 10K so I certainly applaud your ambition and it looks as though you have some excellent potential but 32 minutes at this stage means very little without knowing what your realistic starting point is.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Simon, ta fella, but i was just kidding.image   ..i have the coach, the club and the training plan to squeeze the last possible improvements out of myself..i've been running for about 10years now...albeit it super casual in the early years.

however, at 15, with that time on the board you could be very fast. Maybe you shouldn't even be thinking as far as 10k at this stage...maybe you should really drill those short and middle distances while you can, and then move up a distance each year when you've extinguished the improvements...

i started with half marathons...and what is very clear is it's harder to go down the distances then up image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    parkrunfan wrote (see)

Now I notice that you havent yet run a certified 10K, so that is probably your first priority.

Again to add some context, I could probably match your 1500m time but I cant get anywhere near 34 mins for 10K l

Second that actuallly....the 2 times you have on your power of 10 record don't look in sync with your 10k time... when you say you're running a 34 10k, just to clarify have you done this in a race?or in training? and if in training, how's it been measured/timed?

is it 34:01 or 34:59? That's obviously a big difference too...

• ive done this in an actual race once for school and once for my club

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

was that the school or club one?  Just need to match that on a UKA certified race and you could help yourself to the rankings parkrunfan mentions above...

• that was a school compertion in which i compeated with 800 other comettors and came firstimage

• i have another race in september too so i can alos post my results then to and hoppfuly imnprove a bit.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

do that it'll be interesting.

But maybe consider hitting the middle distance stuff tho....if you have a coach i'm sure they'd think that wise....then by the time you come back to 10k you;ll have even more speed to play with

your average teenager is a lazy bastardo...so work hard and you'll go from strength to strength

• at the moment i focous my efforts on my 800m training with 10k on the side. is this wise?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

well, you're doing well...but i'd say just do the 800 for now. work on that and get really fast for a couple of years. Then you can move up the distances.

think of it this way...the quicker you can get your 800s...the quicker your 10k pace will be later on...

• so far my 800m time is 2.09 is this any good?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

well it's a lot better than the 2.18 on your power of 10 record shows!

And it's a time that's guaranteed to reduce as you fuel your efforts into it under some good coaching...

to date in 2012 (obviously only in July so far...) that would get you 434th in the country for U17.

Clearly you have a whole year left in that category at least....and you're probably still in the throes of getting stronger..

• i know 800 would do me better buut i enjoy the 10k more. would it harm me to do the 10k at an early age or would i be fine?

• RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭
    Stevie G . wrote (see)
    parkrunfan wrote (see)

Again to add some context, I could probably match your 1500m time but I cant get anywhere near 34 mins for 10K l

Second that actuallly....

Third that.

There's a guy at my club who steeplechases, so he ain't no aerobic slouch either.  His 200 at u17 was a bit quicker than yours, but comparable.  His 10k even now is over 36 mins, and his 800 now is quite a bit quicker than yours.

There would be no harm in doing the 10k at an early age.  You would be fine.  But please try out either a 10000 on the track or a certified 10k distance to figure out why your times are so out of kilter.  Otherwise you might find yourself disappointed in your 10k time, when you really should be ecstatic about it!!

• my times on the power or 10 have not been updated. my 1500 is 4.40 and 800 is 2.09.

• RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭
    simon weatherley wrote (see)

my times on the power or 10 have not been updated. my 1500 is 4.40 and 800 is 2.09.

I was using your 2.09 figure when I made my comparison.  His 800 at u17 was a bit quicker than your 2.09, and his 1500 was way quicker, showing that your 1500 is out of synch with your 800.  At the moment his 1500 is maybe just over half a lap ahead of you, but over 25 laps you beat him by 2 minutes.

From your 800 to 1500 drop off I would have thought that you needed to train your aerobic systems if you wanted a good 10k, but your time claims otherwise.  So it's very confusing to try to judge what would be the best response to your original query when your times are odd in the way that they are.  Perhaps you had a slow 1500.  Perhaps you've already trained your body to marathon fitness and your conversion is close to perfect, in which case there's no way to improve your 10k time without improving your middle distance times.  If that is the case, you're stuck with training 800s to improve your 10k time, regardless of what you prefer!!

• ive been training for the 10k for 3 years where as ive only trainsd for the 800 and 1500 for 5 months. ive made it quite far without training for the lower distances do you think it will improve my 10k if i trained for 800m as well as 10k.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Dave Bedford ran the occasional fast 10k but was known as not having a lot of speed over the shorter track distances. He made up for this with lots of miles. But do you want to be running over 100 miles a week at 17 years of age like he was?

🙂

• hi simon, i think that your times are excellent for your age! you will defiently improve as you train more and more and will become a sersious competitive athelete. im 28 and my 10k time is 41.35 do you have any tips for me to improve my time? i do alot of exercise and races and would really like to be able to improve. would be a lot of help and mean alot! thank you.....also dont give up on your dreams and ambitions, you will get there someday! image

• hay julie sorry its taken me so long to grt back to you ive been a bit busy racing. as long as you stick to a deceant training play youll bound to do well. i would advise if you take the 10k serosualy to get a professnail coach or join a club to help squease the best out of you. rember never give up. FARSTER,HIGHER,STRONGER!

WEEK SESSION 1 SESSION 2 SESSION 3 SESSION 4 SESSION 5 Week 1 30-45mins run 30-45mins run 30-45mins run 30-45mins run - *Optional 30-45mins run - *Optional Week 2 30-45mins run 30-45mins run 30-45mins run 30-45mins run - *Optional 30-45mins run - *Optional Week 3 Intervals: 5 X 3 mins 90 secs recovery 30-45mins run 30-45mins run 30-45mins run   Week 4 Intervals: 5 X 3 mins 90 secs recovery 30-45mins run 30-45mins run 30-45mins run Week 5 Intervals: 5 X 3 mins rep 2 and 4 faster 90 secs recovery 30-45mins run 30-45mins run 30-45mins run   Week 6 Intervals: 5 X 3 mins 60 secs recovery 30-45mins run 30-45mins run 30-45mins run   Week 7 Intervals: 5 X 3 mins rep 2 and 4 faster 60 secs recovery 30-45mins run 30-45mins run 30-45mins run   Week 8 Intervals: 5 X 3min, 1 x 5min, 1 x 3min, 1 x 5min, 1 x 3 mins 60 secs recovery 30-45mins run 30-45mins run 30-45mins run   Week 9 Intervals: 5 X 5 mins, 90 sec recovery 30-45mins run 30-45mins run Hill session 8 X 45 secs   Week 10 Intervals: 5 X 5 mins, 60 secs rec, 30-45mins run 30-45mins run 20mins tempo run   Week 11 Intervals: 5 X 5 mins, 90 sec recovery 30-45mins run 25-30 tempo Hill session 8 X 45 secs   Week 12 Intervals: 3 X 3 mins 90 secs recovery 30-45mins run 30-45mins run RACE  
  • Simon your times are all over the place 2.09 for 800 and 4.40 for 1500, your 1500 should be 4.20ish in comparison. I agree with Steve G concentrate for the minute on middle distance maybe doing the odd 5k. Some races wont allow you to do 10k under the age of 16,

• Actually I cant beleive a school would let kids run a 10k. i notice you did a 1500 in 5 mins in April and cant find any more mention of you, tbh Simon I think you need to reevaluate what your pb's actually are

• on my power of 10 all my pb are wrong and have not been updatded my 10k time is 34.39 800m 2.10 and 1500 is 4.40.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Simon, power of 10 can be quite poor for road races, as they have to be under the correct UKA board.

However, most track races should be on there, so not sure why yours haven't been updated? Were they at proper events?

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Simon, how often do you race for your club, and do you train with them? Would have thought that you would be competing for them in the YA league, given your standard.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • i should but ive only been training for around 4 months and most of my racses never seem to get updated to my power of 10 card.