Windsor Great Park Dash

With the Olympic Games having taken over Dorney Lake for its rowing and canoeing events the annual Dorney Dash has had to find a new venue. The Datchet Dashers are very pleased to announce that by special permission of The Crown Estate we have acquired a very rare opportunity to run a 10k trail race around the beautiful and historic Windsor Great Park. 

The route will be over tracks and paths within The Deer Park. It’s going to be undulating taking in both woodland and open grassland, weaving between the park’s ancient oaks before offering spectacular views of Windsor Castle. The organisation will be everything you’ve come to expect from The Dorney Dash, but we know that the race itself will be enhanced by the venue and have a completely different character.

Race website link

Comments

• Is it okay for the rest of the family to come along and support? Also are there any changing shower facilities nearby?

Quite fancy doing the run but would quite tempted to take the family and make a day of it exploring the rest of the park and gardens.

• No problem with spectators - there's hundreds of acres for them to wander in. Dogs must be kept on leads within the Deer Park. You will have to move your car out of the race parking area and into a public car park after the race however as the authorities will want to lock the gate as soon as we're cleared down (hopefully before 2pm).

With the HQ being in the park there are no facilities other than what we bring in I'm afraid, and that doesn't include showers. The only public facilities in the Great Park are at Savill Gardens or Virginia Water, but I don't think either of them have showers.

• Thanks, looks like there is Windsor Leisure Centre a few km away so perhaps I could head there for a swim and shower as a nice post race recovery and then enjoy a wander around Windsor after that.

• Does anyone know if there's bag storage available for those of us coming by public transport?

• Yes, there will be a kit store.

• I have never been to the area before - could you tell me if the run route will be largely flat or hilly? I've been having some trouble with my knee running downhill for long periods but the run looks lovely.
  • Hope everyone had fun today ?

• Blimey it was tough! It was my first 10k race and I struggled up the hill of mud, through the pond of water at 9.5k and managed to come in 57th out of 115 ladies. Feeling very proud of myself now. I had a fantastic time and will definitely be back for more!
  • Well Done Lucy. We imported x-country to the middle of summer for youimage

• We had a fun day. For me the mud and puddles made the event, transforming it from a grandiose parkrun into a memorable day.

Thankyou to the organisers and marshalls and especially the very noisy and cheery marshalls at the mud climb.

A run like that is making me look for one that is ALL mud and puddles!
  • It was Great fun!!!

I'm not sure if it was the rain, the very wet under foot conditions, the Mud or the Iocation, but I really enjoyed the run.

I'm lead to believe this was a "One off", but it will be a difficult one to follow if its run again.

Thanks to all for organising it.image