Virgin seeks an awakening

Hi everyone. I used to run a lot. I can swim without drowning, in a variety of strokes. I know which end of a bike should be up and which end should be down. But I do feel very virginal still.

Long story short - I was running nearly 4,000kms a year, racing maras. Had to have a meniscus operation a few weeks back and the surgeon has recommended I change the balance of my training away from running and do more cycling although I have a green light to run again. Not sure yet in what disciplines I'd like to compete, but adding triathlons to my race list seems like an obvious step.

My newbie question is this: are there any fundamental differences in training discipline/ approach, between long distance running and cycling? Yes, one involves using a bike....]  Do you still do long slow rides, do you still do intervals/ hill repeats, do you still do tempo rides, do you get to manage glycogen and bonking differently because you can perhaps eat more on a bike? Do you have recovery sessions? Does cycle training require considerably more time in saddle compared to time spent running? etc etc.

If you've read this or similar questions a minimum of a zillion times before and there is a book/ website that has all the info for reference, am happy to go and look it up if you could tell me about it. I'd like to get back into serious training after I've done some rehabilitation. And once I've started to train a bit harder, naturally my mind will be thinking about how and where I'd like to compete.

Since yesterday, I've got a new bike to use and think it would be good to rebuild some leg strength with it before  I go much further with running (I can already run 15 pain free kms at an easy pace) and swim 1km in about 24mins without trying very hard. Thanks very much for feedback/ insight. Much appreciated.

Comments

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭

I am by no means an expert, but...

Do you still do long slow rides, do you still do intervals/ hill repeats, do you still do tempo rides,

It's pretty similar. With any training (running, bike, swimming, etc.) you need to stress the working muscles in different ways to build strength, speed and endurance. So long rides, interval sessions, hill work, etc. will all have their own, and combined, benefits. 

do you get to manage glycogen and bonking differently because you can perhaps eat more on a bike?

This all depends on the duration of the race. For something like a sprint distance you could probably manage without anything. For longer distances most people manage to take on more fuel during the bike, both to fuel the bike leg and also to 'stock up' for the run. 

Do you have recovery sessions?

Recovery is important for any training programme image

Does cycle training require considerably more time in saddle compared to time spent running? etc etc.

It depends on distance, but the more time in the saddle, the easier it will be on race day. 

There are lots of books on triathlon training. I quite like this one, although you may prefer another. Have a look on Amazon (other bookshops are available image )

• i think the general opinion is that 1 mile running roughly equals 3 to 4 on the bike..........the advantage to cycling is that you can up the mileage a lot quicker than you do running without the same injury worries........

sorry i can't be more helpful .good luck

• Thanks for the feedback. Broadly what I expected, just didn't want to make any bumpy mistakes. Physiology is physiology I guess, whatever the end discipline. Another friend has recommended the Joe Friel book so I guess I should look to put it on my bookshelf. Thanks again.
  • EnduranceCorner has a lot of stuff there for longer distances
  • Thanks O.range. I'll try and find it.
  •  For longer distances most people manage to take on more fuel during the bike, both to fuel the bike leg and also to 'stock up' for the run. 

http://www.avufo.info/g.gif

• So when're you coming over to the Dark Side, Tricky? image

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    The Silent Assassin wrote (see)
    pete_inthehills wrote (see)

Who is this Jenna Jameson? Is she a good sport? Does she jfdi?

Just don't Google her name whilst at work!

Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)
    Thanks for the feedback. Broadly what I expected, just didn't want to make any bumpy mistakes. Physiology is physiology I guess, whatever the end discipline. Another friend has recommended the Joe Friel book so I guess I should look to put it on my bookshelf. Thanks again.

Probably better if you read it, Dicky!  image