Diet tips

Hi all, although im required to maintain a good level of fitness due to my job, im new to running as a passion/hobby and i must say i thoroughly enjoying it. However, im keen to up my levels and am looking at H/M within a few months but i have problem with understanding the food intake pre/post run. Ive read hundreds of articles about what to eat to give slow energy and make sure i eat a bagel with peanut butter half an hour after but does any one know of a website/magazine or book that has a list of the best pre run foods, during a run snack and post run food for recovery etc. It almost feels like i need to trawl the net for hours and make my own menus. There are so many different considerations and this thrown in with the different types of carb, protein and good/bad fats is outrageous. I would love nothing more than a simple "idiots guide" to what to eat when and what to try and avoid. What fliuds to take when and again, what to avoid. This may sound simple to most but i thought i was fairly up to scratch however im definetly not. As a "newbie" with a new found passion for putting miles under my feet id really appreciates any thing you all have to offer.

Tony 

Comments

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Tony,

I say keep it simple. Eat foods that agree with you. Carbs are your fuel, so things like porrige, pasta etc are excellent fuel sources. Post training run, nothing more than a glass of milk is needed.

Half marathon training will not deplete your bodies fuel stores. There is no real need to be worrying about gels, energy drinks etc etc during a training run. If you are to try marathons and above then there are nutritional needs to deal with during a race,

Personally, I find the more you read in this area, the more confusing it gets, and there is always someone prepared to sell you the new recovery drink, energy bar, gel, fat burner etc etc .....

Porrige, milk, banana, Over and out.

• I would love nothing more than a simple "idiots guide" to what to eat when and what to try and avoid. What fliuds to take when and again Cohiba Siglo 1, what to avoid.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

For half marathon I don't think you need to eat anything other than a normal healthy diet. Have a healthy mixture of carbs and protein, make sure you have plenty of fruit, veg, nuts and seed. Also - stay well hydrated always.

Pre-run/race have a normal breakfast at least an hour before. Drink, but don't over drink. Post run hydrate and eat to replenish lost glucose. Don't worry about taking on food during run/race - and drink if thirsty, especially if a hot, sweaty day. If you are hydrated all the time you don't need to worry too much about this.

• Thanks for that, i think i knew what i need to be doing but the more you read the more i felt i was missing something, it almost takes the enjoyment away. Simple if you think about it.

Training is going well but the H/M i was looking at has dissapeared, Tatton park on 4th Nov.

• Also-ran wrote (see)
    Porrige, milk, banana, Over and out.

Agree 100%. I combine the three and make banana porridge with semi skimmed milk. Eat before and/or after runs. And on really long runs, sometimes during as well!

• I find the more you read in this area, the more confusing it gets, and there is always someone prepared to sell you the new recovery drink,

http://www.avufo.info/g.gif

• I'm also agee with  "pauljohns johns", your opinion is erally excellent....! web design the woodlands

• It is really a nice and helpful piece of information. I'm satisfied that you shared this helpful information with us. Please keep us up to date like this.Thanks for sharing.image

• I think this thread started well, dropped off in the middle and the less said about the end the better !

• actually I'm so appreciated to find out this blog which is really informative, thanks a lot to share with us !  Measurement While Drilling