A cold and sore throat after swimming

Seems every time I go to the pool I end up getting a cold for 24 hrs and sometimes a sore throat. I have only been for two 'training' swims and it has happened both times. However, normally i do my long slow run on sunday morning and then take my girls swimming. It happens when I do that too if I do a short swim while they are in their class. Is this normal?

I have ordered nose clips and ear plugs to see if that helps. 

Comments

• Beconaise up your nose before and after the swim might help if it's a reaction to the chlorine?

• I used to get the sniffles all day long and a runny nose from the pool, chrlorine caused it.  Nose clip solved the problem.

• Do you get a really bunged up nose and/or sneezing fits?? If you do it might be a sensitivity to the chemicals in the pool which is what I have. As suggested, try Beconase!

• Yep, nose clip for me too. Used to suffer for 24hrs+ with sneezing/ weeping eyes. Problem completely went, when I got the nose clips. I have attached them to my goggles with one of those bend-y stringy things that you use to tie up sandwich bags, otherwise they get lost/ fall off/ get dropped etc...... few quid from JJB.

• ... the nose clips, that is, not the bend-y things.

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭

it's probably a reaction to the pool chemicals (chlorine mainly) - lots of people suffer it, me included

Beconase before and after the swim helps a lot but the only known cure is to avoid pools and swim OW instead....

• mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

what everyone else said. I have been having trouble with it. If I am swimming on my own, I use a noseclip. If I am swimming with the tri club I don't use the nose clip (the coach there was very funny about it) and use beconase after. Both are working for me.

Swimming OW caused no problems at all - no nose clip or beconase

• KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭

OK thanks all. Will wait impatiently for my nose clips. FB I want to try OW swimming but not had time and need to buy a wetsuit.

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    mathschick wrote (see)

If I am swimming with the tri club I don't use the nose clip (the coach there was very funny about it) and use beconase after. Both are working for me.

Swimming OW caused no problems at all - no nose clip or beconase

that's because the coach would prefer you to breath out under water through the mouth and nose (watch what any top swimmer does) and a nose clip prevents you doing that efficiently.  in fact breathing out via the nose under water helps prevent the water getting into the sinuses in the 1st place so reducing the irritation

• mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

fb - yeah, and I prefer swimming without the noseclip - tend to find I get load of water in my mouth for some reason, but I don't really like to use beconase 3 times a week - once a week is ok

• Really well fitting goggles as well. I have this problem if I let ANY water get in my eyes, but as long as they stay cholrine-free I'm fine. I fit the goggles from wetting in freshwater not in the pool water, and I splashed out on some more expensive goggles that don't let water in, and my problem was solved. I used to spend the two days after swimming curled up on the sofa with lemsip image.