"The truth about sports products"

Tomorrow's Panorama is about the sports products industry and the claims it makes: linkety link.

8 pm. I guess I half-know what most of the conclusions will be but seems worth a watch.

Comments

• Really looking forward to this one already. Hope the barefoot trainer brigade will be watching.
  • Thanks Muttley. One to watch. I'm a bit of a trainer tart but not really into protein and recovery shakes.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

I'll have to record it.  I'm having my gazelle blood injections done that evening.

• I'll watch it. But no matter what they say, I'm not giving up my beer and crisps diet!

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

I'm looking forward to the SiS vs pasty test.

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭

I've already set it to record image 

• TimeaJTimeaJ ✭✭✭

Looks interesting, thanks for the recommendation. I will watch it on iPlayer later.

• Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
    Really looking forward to this one already. Hope the barefoot trainer brigade will be watching.

I will be image Wish I could force the people who think that buying barefoot trainers will magically change/improve their running style, with zero effort on their part.

PhilPub wrote (see)

I'll have to record it.  I'm having my gazelle blood injections done that evening.

image image image image 

• GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭

You can say all this but will they answer the big question? Green or red racing flats? Which are the fastest

• Green.

Sounds interesting. I'll be watching.

xine267 wrote (see)
    Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
    Really looking forward to this one already. Hope the barefoot trainer brigade will be watching.

I will be image Wish I could force the people who think that buying barefoot trainers will magically change/improve their running style, with zero effort on their part.

I guess their will always be people, in this case runners who want a quick fix. In this instance better running.

• Such good timing just before the Olympics, probably to be repeated just before VLM2013. If Lucozade get a thrashing and withdraw we may have to buy our own sports drinks and race pace bands in futureimage

• set to record, could be interesting image especially for me as a newbie

Andy image

• Oooo interesting, thanks for that Muttley image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Set to record. I'll be interested to see what it says and what facts it presents.

• Thanks for the heads up - should be interesting
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Boing.

In just under half an hour.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

I've got an Iceland super cheapie Doner Kebab pizza in the oven and I plan to consume it during this programme. Am I a bad person?

• not sure i agree with the shows findings on pronation controll shoes, perhaps it was coincidence but ive been injured from wearing shoes for an over when i supinate, 

• JohnnybikeJohnnybike ✭✭✭

I think it also suggest that protein shakes after gym workouts are not worth bothering with which flies in the face of most of the advertising and opinion I see

Happy to accept tht Lucozade doesn't do much for you but panning everything en-masse is a bit much

• Its a typical Hatchet Job by Panarama.

They did the same thing about Racism in Poland before the Euros. There were no problems at all.

They make their mind up before they do the research.

Tabloid TV.

• tonyp2604tonyp2604 ✭✭✭

Just seen this. Although a lot of what was said in the Panorma programme I can actually agree with, a note of caution - many non-runners might get the impression that there is no place at all for the various products (although personally I don't bother with supplements myself). In turn:

Sports drinks - no need for them unless you are doing at least 1 and a half or two hours running - they just top up and maintain carb levels for long runs. I see the point about the cyclist with the bread and jam but do you want to take a picnic out with you on a 17 mile run!? They don't make you run faster - training does that.

Hydration - drink to thirst which seems to be the current thinking anyway.

Shoes - no need to spend a ton on them - my last pair for general running only cost £68 and are simply comfortable to run in. Barefoot running - love the idea on a sandy beach - but do you fancy it on pavements with dog poo and broken glass?

Supplements - as I said above, I get all I need from food.

Interesting programme anyway...

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Didn't really tell much I couldn't figure out for myself, ie that energy drinks and protein supplements are lifestyle choices rather than sporting ones.

Not convinced by the bit about shoes though. The first predictor of injury is distance, eh? Ok, but if your shoes are all over the place you're going to get injured once you go over a certain distance, yes? Just choose a pair of shoes that feel comfortable - what's good for 10 paces outside the running shop may not be good for 12 miles.

I wish they'd looked at compression clothing.

• All I can say is that when I first started running, I did what a lot of newcomers do and headed on out with my usual pair of trainers.  Kept hurting myself all the time.  Upon getting my gait tested and buying a proper pair of (stability) shoes, the problems went away - although I did have some knee issues a while back (which is still hanging around a bit), I was fine for a good year after buying my first proper running shoes.

Might knock my protein supplement on the head as well - I mean, I can't say I've noticed any difference personally - at least not any extra difference compared to when I was lifting without the protein supplement.  £37.99 a tub is a lot of money!

I was shocked to hear people had died during marathons by drinking too much!!

• tonyp2604tonyp2604 ✭✭✭
    RoadRunner76 wrote (see)

All I can say is that when I first started running, I did what a lot of newcomers do and headed on out with my usual pair of trainers.  Kept hurting myself all the time.  Upon getting my gait tested and buying a proper pair of (stability) shoes, the problems went away - although I did have some knee issues a while back (which is still hanging around a bit), I was fine for a good year after buying my first proper running shoes.

Might knock my protein supplement on the head as well - I mean, I can't say I've noticed any difference personally - at least not any extra difference compared to when I was lifting without the protein supplement.  £37.99 a tub is a lot of money!

I was shocked to hear people had died during marathons by drinking too much!!

The business with people dying/suffering from too much water I understand is known as hyponatremia - which I understand is caused by the over-dilution of sodium, potassium and chlorides in the body and affects neural transmission, kidneys and some other functions - but it is extremely rare.

• Now I don't know what to believe. image

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    To avoid hyponatremia I thought you had to consume electrolytes with your fluids. But earlier in the programme they said drinks like powerade and lucozade which contain electrolytes aren't of any use.

I'm very confused.