Options

Toughest Ironman distance tri in the world?

BookyBooky ✭✭✭

That seems to be the claim!

City to Summit

The Firth of Forth to the summit of Ben Nevis!

Comments

• Options

sounds like a good race but I hate it when they brag about stuff which is not true or not researched.

On the bike it’s 112miles minimum distance and 9400ft of ascent. (181km and 2850m). That's a tougher Iron statistic than any other in the world; and that's just the swim and ride. Wait till you read the next bit…

Unquote,

Nope, its not !! Norseman is 3000M ascent on the bike and the year I did it, 190K.

But does sound like a good race.

• Options
    BookyBooky ✭✭✭

I know nothing of these things!

I just get the emails from Rat Race so thought I'd share image

• Options
    No issues, it's a great share, it will get a good cult following if they run it well.

Thinking about it for altitude training for IM Lake Tahoe next year.
  • Options

I am very tempted by this one.  

It's local(ish) to me - well, the start is anyway.  You'd need a good dose of antibiotics before swimming in the Firth of Forth tho'.
    In good weather, it will be absolutely stunning.  In bad weather................................ 

However, I'm thinking it's probably not the one for me to pop my IronCherry on image

• Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭

there are many claims for the toughest but I would think that, of the 150 entered, of whom only 99 started, and only 51 finished then the X-man held last weekend would make claims to be the toughest.  

sea swim (shortened due to rough conditions), 180km offroad MTB along the South Downs Way and then a run along the Clarendon way off road from Winchester to Salisbury.  

given the weather conditions which were truly awful with pissing rain, an overnight bike leg (unsupported bar 4 checkpoints - and 7 didn't make the CP1 cutoff!), and mud up to your armpits, then I would think that would lay claim to the toughest by a margin.

winning time was 17 hours btw

the race may not happen next year in the UK due to the weather conditions being too variable - the organisers want to get entrants racing and a good proportion finishing.   shame really as if the conditions had been normal summer ones, then it would have been a cracking event 

City to Summit looks interesting as a tough one, but then stick Celtman, X-man, Horseman and no doubt some other new ones into the mix and the UK is becoming the home of tough LD events.   if we can't win easy, win tough!

• Options

http://www.altriman.com

Did anybody here ever have a crack at this one in the Pyrennees? I think the bike has 4,700m of ascent over 194km of riding, topping out at 1,980m, and the run has 600m climbing. I'm guessing that the swim has some seriously sharp bits too.... possibly up a waterfall or something? 

Looks awesome! I'm fancying Vichy or Outlaw myself image

• Options

Nevermind City to Summit, I reckon a great place for an iroman distance race would be the Isle of Arran in the Firth of Clyde.image

Sea swim in Lamlash Bay to Holy Isle and back. Then a couple of laps of the island on the bike (1 lap on the main road is 55.5 miles) then pick your route for the marathon!

• Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭

France has a fair number of tough LD races

Embrunman is reckoned by many to be the toughest road one on the circuit as the ride goes up (and down) the Col d'Izoard which is a classic TdF HC climb, and the run is lumpy as well.  and usually it's very hot.

I'm doing the standard distance at this French event - www.ironbask.fr - in September.  I suspect the IM distance event on that day will be tough as the ride goes into the Pyrenees.

stick Arc to Arch, Decaman, Double-Deca Man in Mexico and the stupid Triple Deca (30 in 30 days) - http://www.decaironman.com/1/ - into the mix and where do you stop???

• Options

I'm more of a Carol Deca man myself.

"Don't push too far your dreams are china in your hands" Yum image image

• Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭

and that is so shit it's inspired....image

• Options
    BookyBooky ✭✭✭

How about this one then? It claims to be the toughest half IM in the world. The UK's deepest, coldest lake, 7217 ft climb on the bike, and  4583 ft ascent on the run. 

And re. the City to Summit race. What are the thoughts on completing it over two days - is it still an Iron distance tri if you have a night of camping in between the bike and run?

• Options

I would say NO - 2 days is an adventure race.

But just my opinion.

• Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
  • Options
    BookyBooky ✭✭✭

That's pretty much what I thought. Complete it within one day, within the cut offs, or it's not the same. 

• Options

I'm entered - So I just need to shift a stone, learn to run off road - then its in the bag!

Fegan for the win!

• Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭

Iron Little Sister - I TOTALLY agree with the Arran idea - I thought exactly the same thing when I was there last year.

It's be awesome!

• Options

Now, Fegan:-
    You must not slack
    Or get off track
    That mental whip crack
    No holding back
    The yellow and black
    Honour you carry
    Oops, rhyming did pack
    In.

• Options

enuf time if u start the trainin now.as im doin 

• Options

the inferno in Switzerland is pretty tough http://inferno.ch/index.php?page=269

swim in a cold alpine lake, road and mountain bike over some tough alpine passes, then a fairly vertical run

beautiful scenery, I tried running part of the course when I was there in the summer, but soon turned round and ran along the bottom of the valley instead...

• Options

the thing wiv these events is preperation to cope wiv the climbin,no easy way other than loads of hill reps.proper ones that take 10 mins plus that work yr legs on the way down as well as up,if yr not a fell runner u wil ava nasty suprise tryin to run down the ben,n lose a lot of time.can b boring doin 1-2 hrs of hill rep,but pays off on race day.did peris horeshoe in wales a few yrs ago 18 miles and 8500ft climb as club champs long race,and wasted all my mates wiv this training finished 12th overall and 25 mins in front of nxt from my club.sufer in trainin and u will cope beta on the day.

• Options

im sorry -  must be me getting to old, but i cant be doing with interpreting kids speak. Its like reading them chinese spammers we used to have image 

• Options

ha,ha not lol.is that better.i am old anyway but its not such a disadvantage.in these long.events where the years of training help more than outright speed  image

• Options
    IrO.n Little Sister wrote (see)

Nevermind City to Summit, I reckon a great place for an iroman distance race would be the Isle of Arran in the Firth of Clyde.image

Sea swim in Lamlash Bay to Holy Isle and back. Then a couple of laps of the island on the bike (1 lap on the main road is 55.5 miles) then pick your route for the marathon!

K9 wrote (see)

Iron Little Sister - I TOTALLY agree with the Arran idea - I thought exactly the same thing when I was there last year.

It's be awesome!

You want to ask Dark Vader about that one... believe he did exactly that...

• Options

that all well and good,but this race is going ahead,so lets get it done and support it.want to make it tougher use skye and the cuillin ridge for the run

• Options

just looked at inferno race,mathschick,looks great,but this is the one i can afford,got terrex 4day c2c adventure race on as well,great race did it last year paddle sections really good, lots of biking and fell running.not that hard if you pace yourself,this time goining to push it though image

• Options
    Push it though ? The mind boggles
  • Options
    What's goining? Sounds sexual...