Mixing HR based training and 'Normal' training

I am following a marathon training plan via a thread on this forum. I am happy in that plan and I feel that it will get me over the line at the VLM2013 in a good time. It is a traditional plan. It is based on mileage and the paces I have been recommended are too high to build endurance I think i.e. I think i will be operating well above 70% max hr.

I don't want to deviate from that running plan but I am concerned about building endurance for a September 2013 IM. I was wondering if I do low HR cycling on the days I am not running whether that would help? Would the endurance I develop from the cycling help me in my running at the IM too? I know they use different muscles. Would the fact that on my running days my heart rate would be much higher spoil the low hr work I did on my bike? 

I'm a bit confused as you can probably tell from the words above. HELP! Please. image

Comments

• Tortuga - your easy and long runs on your marathon training plan should coincide with the general aerobic work you'd do for long distance tri training (Don Fink's Z1 -2). If anything I'd suggest dropping any recovery runs and swapping those for rides (remembering that your bike HR zones will be different from your run ones). I have consistently dropped my running PBs on a diet of Z2 runs and rides and three swims a week.

Of course if you are really worried/targetting a very fast time at VLM you could concentrate on the running with some swimming until then and become more tri specific thereafter.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.