2013 IM Mentoring

Comments

• piertownpiertown ✭✭✭

Hi happy to help anyone out. I have done 3 IM and 3 70.3,im doing Frankfurt next year.Have loads of experience and am good at encouraging people.Based in Kent

• TheEngineer wrote (see)
    Lee the Pea wrote (see)

Attempted one, but yet to succeed! image  I shall be back for another try, but not next year, too many other things going on, and I want to improve my running and reduce my weight first.  Then I shall be back and a contender for first prize *

Maybe in the Most Miserable award! image *runs off*

Yeah you'd better keep running! image

• I'm a little bit late too...is anyone still free as a virtual mentor?

I am 30, SW London, apathetic & slow runner previously, wanted to spend my 30th yr doing something other than enjoying myself far too much...obviously Outlaw was the only option!

(copied off my lonely hearts ad...!)

Work long hrs so fitting training was tough but I've embraced seeing 5am at the beginning rather the end of the day, taught myself to swim front crawl in Jan, didn't die in the rowing lake, spent first 10 mins of the bike crying as a result.

Delighted to 1) survive 2) not fall off bike while still attached 3) finish in 13:26.

I am now completely hooked and want to improve my time and do another iron distance next year.

Anyone want me? (crosses fingers)
  • GP any idea what IM you are looking at next year?
  • Oh and 13:26 is a very tidy first time you should knock bags off that next time just by knowing what you are up against
  • Half_PintHalf_Pint ✭✭✭

Again a tad late so might have missed the boat. But bitten the bullet and going to go for the Outlaw in 2013. Would love a mentor to subject to the really stupid questions, which are somehow easier to ask over the interweb!

Just qualified as a Doctor and start work in a week - so a bit terrified about that. Also unsure about time etc, but Ironman is full of stories of people who manage ridculous working hours, families etc and thrive.

Did the cotswold 113 in 5:41 and absolutely loved it. Goal for the Outlaw would be sub-12 (is this realistic??) / just finishing. My plan is currently work on swim/core/trying not to kill too many people at work. Then start the Fink intermediate program.

Love training with my garmin - tend to feel that without it runs and rides don't count. However would love to really get to grips with heart rates and utilise them properly. Also no idea about nutrition, so would love guidance around this.

Also saving up for a bike so expect a barrage of bike related posts in a few months!

Based in Salisbury.

Been a lingerer on the forums for a while, it was this forum that started the whole flippin' thing.

If anyone has the time to spare, I would hugely appreciate it.

• Welcome HP

Don Fink "Be Iron Fit" is a good read and explains all about heart rate training.

• Pixie.....you'll have a job tripping over ST... have you seen the bloody size of him....image

• Lol I'm not that big Razor image
  • DazDaz ✭✭✭

Recommend 'Going Long' for general advice on long-d triathlon.  Nicely condensed.

Endurance Coach @ DazCarterFitness.com
    Elite Ironman, Ultra Trail Runner
  • Half_Pint wrote (see)

Did the cotswold 113 in 5:41 and absolutely loved it. Goal for the Outlaw would be sub-12 (is this realistic??) / just finishing. My plan is currently work on swim/core/trying not to kill too many people at work. Then start the Fink intermediate program.

with your speed on the bike I would have a bash at the Fink competitive programme. If you can't keep up with the amount of hours, you could always drop back to the intermidiate or hash both together! Realistically I you run and swim as fast as you cycle, then under 12hrs will definately be do-able. 

• Mmmmm Pixie and Giant might look odd if it was real lol
  • Silver Trucker wrote (see)
    Lol I'm not that big Razor image

I do believe it was Nico and Horse who were put forward for that honour at the Pirate awards this year image

• Ridgebackmax so sorry I just saw this! Manic week at work. I'm planning Challenge Henley next year so a while to go and need a kick up the backside to stop eating mh own bodyweight in Jaffa cakes and get started again... Gladys and I are doing some mutual twitter shaming / encouragement but any advice you can offer certainly gratefully received...
  • Raf.....What was that award Horse was nominated for, didn't hear about any of the awards or who won them, have you got a list?

ST.......If your not that big...... I must be a dwarf......image

Pixey......Dont let the big fella boss you about....image

• Daz wrote (see)

Recommend 'Going Long' for general advice on long-d triathlon.  Nicely condensed.

I find "Going Long" really difficult to get my head around. Guess it depends on your learning style. If you need to understand what you're doing,and be in control of it all, it's probably good. But it doesn't "tell" you what to do.... and the only example plans in there (even for "Novice Nick") start at about 16 hours a week.

For my money... Fink is a much better book for finishers... Going Long for competitors.

• GP feel free to message me for any advice you need , i aim to be at Henley either in a do the half and support the pirates or just support role

Fink for me when i was doing my first couple of IMs it was my bible image Freil required to much working out my training is now a sort of mish mash of the two with some Gordo chucked in as well image
  • Pixie you moaning on here to lol I never stood you up you didn't return my im's I went bed crying thinking you had ditched me imageimageimage still at least you went image so well done image
  • Lol sorry Pixie, it was raining didn't want to get my hair wet just had my hair doneimage