Manchester Marathon 2013

I've had an email about early-bird entry for next year Manchester Marathon (with a link to here:

http://www.greatermanchestermarathon.com/runner-information

Anyone confident that the organisers have addressed the shortcomings of this year's race?

Comments

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

I wish them luck. They've changed the course quite radically. Start and finish is near Old Trafford. It goes there and back from Timperley through Altrincham, I guess to make the most of all the support that was there. Misses out Dunham Massey which is a shame, but the muddy, flooded lanes nearby proved too much of a problem last time so they're just addressing that. Part of the course from Washway Rd to Urmston will still be a bit bleak - but hard to avoid I guess. I wonder if they'll sort out the underpass.

I probably won't be doing it as got a GFA place for London - but I will definately be out supporting, and may even volunteer to marshall.

• Apparently no underpass next year.

• I'm tempted as I can't do Chester in October due to breaking my ankle (back training soon). We have till the end of the month to decide image

• I think the early bird discount is only a fiver, so I might wait until London knock me back (again!).

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Can't find the actual date on the website....

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

found it in email - 28th April - week after VLM again.

• Just have to cope with starting and finishing outside that monstrosity. Quite enjoyed the banter last year though as I marshalled in my City hat. 

• I think the route is a big improvement on this year's.  Not sure whether I'll run it.  The change of route is tempting me, and I'm glad to miss out Dunham and the country lanes.

• I'll be doing Manchester or Edinburgh. I will probably give Manchester one more chance.

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

bet they have learnt from this year and will get it right next year

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

For me the main problem was the baggage, and surely they will be making sure that doesn't happen again. Plus, next year the weather will be lovely.

• I'm waiting to see if I've got into London but am beginning to have my doubts about training and running 3 marathons in 12 months! I may just save myself for Liverpool next October.

Sounds like they've addressed alot of the problems from this year though.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

I know what you mean acp - after London next spring might take 12 months off the marathon and do shorter races and run a bit less mileage. Finding marathon training all consuming at the moment - going to need a break from it sooner or later.

• It does become all consuming even at lower mileage! Not sure the other half can take much more! image

Those of you that have run Chester before and ran Manchester in April, can you tell me if that hill (Chester) at 22/23 miles feels as bad as the underpass (Manchester) at 25 miles?!

• ACP- I ran them both last year, the underpass at Manchester was worse only because it stopped you running,with all the twisting and turning.

The Chester hill was nothing to talk about really.

Saying that there was only a minutes difference with my times, but I did run London the week before Manchester.

How does Boston, London and Manchster sound on the trot....thinking about it.

• ACP - the Manchester website explicitly says there will be no underpasses next year.

• Manchester? Not a chance next year, new route or not. Baggage hell etc etc.

I am got a GFA place for London. Might do Edinburgh though also - great place for real ale!!

• Jonah8 and Dan - thanks for the replies. I did notice that the email said no underpass and it just reminded me how bad it felt to come across it so near the end and I wondered if it was comparable to the 'hill' at Chester in terms of how your legs feel at that point in the marathon! image

• I would have given it another go, couldn't be worse could it, but in agreement with Dan couldn't bring myself to go to that awful dump to start and finish

• Hmmmmm, tempted by this one.  I know it received some awful reviews but that was largely down to poor organisation (which should now be addressed and rectified for next year) and freak weather.  PLus they appear to have improved the route.

I've never run a marathon before but am getting more and more thoughts about giving the marathon distance a go.  I'm running my first half in September and have another one booked in November.  Depending on how I get on with winter training I'm tempted to make this my first marathon attempt.  It's pretty local and to be honest the thought of doing something akin to the VLM horrifies me (thousands of runners, huge travel expense, lack of support from family & friends).  Will give it some more thought........

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

This could be a really good event. The weather was really quite extreme - on a better day I think reviews would have been much better. The course is pretty flat, and although not the most scenic especially as now skipping Dunham Massey, the support was excellent through the different towns/suburbs. Also - there is something to be said for having not too far to travel. I live 15 minutes away by foot, and living so close definately took a lot of the hassle away.

• Cheers for your thoughts, 15West.  If I ever do a marathon, I think this one will be it.  Still not quite ready to commit to it yet but loads of time for further procrastination image

• I think I'm up for it, after all it can't get worse than last year with the weather and everything! Still had a cracking time.
  • Well that's it - I've entered.  That's after thinking "never again" whilst in the baggage hell.  Also not sure how I'll find time to train.  But looking forward to the new route, and surely weather can't be as bad as this year.

• Missed it this year due to a knee injury and virus but have already entered for 2013. The weather can't be that bad again surely?

• ShivaShiva ✭✭✭

i've decided not to do this in 2013, the baggage farce was so bad that I will do something else instead.  Maybe 2014 if the reviews are better

• And me!! I specifically remembet saying on the day never do manchester again. However didn't get london again!!! And had to pull out of chester duechest infection. Thinking of doing Edinburgh too..