Why do the 2012 Olympics look so ugly

Compare and contrast

I think Lance was being kind and very diplomatic.

Having read about his work I know a little about the thoughts that were behind his designs for Mexico in 1968, not least of all his interest in Pre-Columbian South American history, and there is no way your telling me as much thought was put into our sorry imagery.

I see this as another way in which even though the Olympics are here they really are not here.

Comments

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Most things to do with this Olympics seem to be very unattractive:

The Lisa-Simpson-giving-a-BJ logo, the weird, horrible mascots, and worst of all that twisted metal thing at the olympic park.

None of it has any style or elegance.

Some of the buildings are OK - they aren't actually ugly, even if they are not particularly lovely.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Well let's get the good stuff out of the way first.  The velodrome is an absolute beauty of design, both from the outside and the inside (I'm privileged to say.)

But yes, the logo, the mascots... really shouldn't have got any further than an episode of Twenty Twelve.  (They're a joke, right?)  To make matters worse, in the past week a whole load of additional signs have sprouted up in train and underground stations, using the same pink that's in the main logo, and it's giving me a headache.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02267/olympic_2267872b.jpg

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I commute into London every day, and as the passengers (not customers, thank you!) get off the train the announcer says "welcome to London Fenchurch Street....."

They has started to say "welcome to London, city of the London 2012 Olympics...."  Thankfully they stopped that after a couple of days. 

They're now handing out maps at central stations, showing you how you could walk to your workplace, so as to not clutter up the buses and underground.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

It just seems to have turned into one big commercial bean feast with sport almost irrelevant as McDonald's, Heineken, Cocoa Cola and Visa try to make as much money out of it as possible -

AW in their issue yesterday you won't be alloed to take bottled water in quantities larger than 100ml and to get a lunch for a family of 4 will cost in the region of £40 - maybe true or not - but hopefully sport will win out and gain centre stage. (if not we have the World Champs in 2017 and the Commonwealth games in 2014 to look forward to).

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭
    Colin McLaughlin wrote (see)

Apparently the opening ceremony will include a guy pinned to a rock by his arm, a load of zombies running round chasing everyone else, a guy who wins a million quid, and a half-strength sun.

All very strange.

You not allowed to call them zombies! They were the Infected *nods wisely*

• *whispers* I quite like the mascots image and in my opinion most of the buildings look great.

Okay the Logo is pretty nasty but after Beijing anything had to be better. The best thing which could be said about Beijing's Logo and mascots was they were bland and forgettable. London's answer to that was suppose to show it as dynamic and innovative........ though clearly not to everyone's taste.

I assumed the 100ml limit was a security thing, though I guess you can treat that with a degree of scepticism.

• It's a shame the Olympics seems to have been hijacked by commercial interests and IOC functionaries etc to such a deeply unattractive extent. Maybe it's been this way for a while now but we're noticing it more because it's happening in London.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Grendel: I think you're allowed to take in an empty plastic bottle which can be filled with tap water once you get into the Olympic park.  I'm pretty sure you can bring a packed lunch as well, but I need to re-read the email I was sent.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Yes, packed lunches are OK.  If the velodrome is anything to go by, loos and water are in plentiful supply. They do a nice bottled cider as well but it ain't cheap!

I think I might have spotted my first Olympian yesterday whilst out on a run.  (Not including my club mates!)  A trim, petite lady with Australia on her t-shirt in the Docklands.  Anyone know where they're hanging out?  (I was too shy/sweaty to chat.)  image

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭

I'm a volunteer at the Games so will be going throug security a lot - and we have the same rules to contend with.  The instructions we have been given is - "No bottles, cans or any other containers (sealed or not) will be permitted".   Not sure about packed lunches though as we get meal vouchers... image

the security checks will be very much like airport security with scanners, and full body shakedowns if needed.   so you should think just like you're going to an airport and don't take things like pocket knives, tweezers, scissors, or any sharp object etc as they will be confiscated.   I'd even go so far as to think whether you need that sharp propelling pencil with a metal tip

so think what you normally carry on you and check before you go and if in doubt, save yourself some hassle and leave it behind.

• To further add to the fun and games, the lists of what's allowed and what's not varies according to the location.  I can take sealed drinks to Box Hill, but nothing greater than 100ml to Hampton Court (although I can take an empty container to fill with water).

• I'm not a fan of the additional signage at stations. In some cases it's covered up useful local signs in order to point someone towards a venue that they're still no where near. It might help for actual events, but I think it's made London more confusing for anyone travelling in between their event days. And the Boris Johnson audio announcements are just awful. I'm still not sure how chaotic it's going to be but I'm very glad I can walk to work at a push.

On a positive note they're put a load of ping pong tables around east London as part of the pre-game hype and they're pretty cool. Strangers have been talking to each other and everything.
  • Apart from the security issues I'm sure they didn't want people lugging great picnic baskets or luggage around in the venues.  Having paid handsomely for your seat would you really want to be sat next to somebody trying to wedge a suitcase into the space between you.

If they're providing water taps I can't see the need to take much more than a packed lunch or snack into any of the venues and I'm sure there will be plenty of food outlets (and they won't just be McDs despite the rumours) for those who want.  No, they won't be cheap but they never are anywhere where there is a captive audience needing fed - concerts, sports events, airports etc

I'm really looking forward to it image  Four days, four events, four different sports & venues and a trip up the weird looking tower thing.

• PhilPub wrote (see)

I think I might have spotted my first Olympian yesterday whilst out on a run.  (Not including my club mates!)  A trim, petite lady with Australia on her t-shirt in the Docklands.  Anyone know where they're hanging out?  (I was too shy/sweaty to chat.)  image

I have had a significant increase in people on my block asking "how was your run" in a slightly loaded way, people who have never asked before. I have been living here for at least 4 years and run most days, I have no previous connection with the area and in effect the only thing anyone can say about me is he runs. Alot. I think people are putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 5 ringsimage

I did have one of the local children  in all seriousness ask me while I was getting off my bike " Are you an athlete" I had to say no because I knew what she meant.

Oh the dissapointment on her faceimage

• I was in the Olympic park last week and I cant recall seeing a single water tap and i walked right the way across it. Maybe they werent installed yet ? Or maybe they're relying on it being wet.

The logo and that sculpture thing and the mascots are pretty rubbish I think - but hey you cant please everyone. 

The actual stadia I think look very nice. Especially the velodrome. Thats stunning. The site itself is very nicely done with the river running through it. Nice landscaping. 

• The logo should be on the side of a tube train with a tag underneath it.

As cities goes London may have global appeal but most Brits dislike the place as overcrowded, full of johnny foreigner and too bloody expensive.

Most Londoners have seen the Olympics as a way of making money and milking tourists. 

The mascots should be taken outside and shot!

As for the security only LOCO (OR something like that) would think its a good idea to employ a company that lets prisoners escape and lets people take knives into a court room !!

Plus the idea of a legacy is highly questionable to most of the country who see it as little more than a massive money spinner for  London

Other than that roll on next Friday !