Olympics

While I wish each and every member of Team the best 

Who do you think will be an Olympic Flop ?

Comments

• mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

the opening ceremony?

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭

I honestly don't know what to expect for the opening ceremony. I've seen the 'vision', but what will it actually be like? Cows and people having picnics? How does that translate to an opening ceremony? 

• Hopefully no one but I'm thinking the cycling team won't be able to do the same this time around. That's more of a comment about how well they did last time than anything else. Still got a lingering supition about why they did so well in 2008 given that at the time they had discovered so many cycleist's had cheated and taken drugs and the brit team at times seamed to be the only nation not involved if it was just because we where the only team in the build up not to be on them.

Question I have is which sport that none of us really cares about will suddenly because a national tresure? We have a very good BMXer in the games?

• Yeah but she fell on her arse in 2008 !

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    Slowfoot 2012 wrote (see)

Yeah but she fell on her arse in 2008 !

bit like shares really though innit - past performance is no indicator of future performance.

I wish Shaz well this time - she deserves to win

• image She does and if our Jess does well watch out because sheffielder's of the world will unite and the p*ss up will last a few weeks after braking a bone before the last olly's.

Should be noted through that it's all about how you do on the day and you have to earn throse medels in case any of them kids are lurking out there.

• sarah the bookworm wrote (see)

I honestly don't know what to expect for the opening ceremony. I've seen the 'vision', but what will it actually be like? Cows and people having picnics? How does that translate to an opening ceremony? 

I think the opening ceremony will be incredibly cheesy.... all London busses, Big Ben and The Beatles.... cheesy to most Brits, that is, but actually that's what lots of non-Brits (I'm especially thinking Americans, Germans) seem to love, so I think the rest of the world looking in will probably love it.

• Do you think the opening ceremony will be that literal? They always seem a bit abstract (to put it politely).
  • I think that girl who tries to win a medal on a kids bike will be the biggest flop. You know, the one from Manchester who fell off in Beijing.
  • I have a horrible feeling that the biggest flop will be our dignity (opening ceremony is really filling me with dread!).

But if I really HAD to pick someone who I'm not so sure will perform, I would go for Phillips ... don't know why (and god knows I'll be screaming for him to win on the day), but just have an uneasy feeling he's gonna mess it up.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Not sure I understand the motivation for starting a thread like this.  If anyone's made it this far they're obviously near the top of their game and this will be one of the highlights, if not the highlight of their sporting career - football and tennis aside.  image  So if they fail miserably, it's gonna be a bit of a personal disaster.  So if you luckily guess on which particular individual has a nightmare, does that give you some sort of satisfaction to be able to say ''I told you so''?  Nice sentiment.

• Juliefrazz wrote (see)

I think the opening ceremony will be incredibly cheesy.... all London busses, Big Ben and The Beatles.... cheesy to most Brits, that is, but actually that's what lots of non-Brits (I'm especially thinking Americans, Germans) seem to love, so I think the rest of the world looking in will probably love it.

One of our clients is creating a social venue in London for the US athletes and their families...     there is indeed a black London cab, 10 old red phone boxes (they weight over 2 tonnes each!!), various mock up art pieces of Big Ben and other London sights and a replica of Stone Henge...!     I'm told it will look very nice when its finished...

• Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
    I think that girl who tries to win a medal on a kids bike will be the biggest flop. You know, the one from Manchester who fell off in Beijing.
    Don't let the shield slip.
  • Lou Diamonds wrote (see)
    Do you think the opening ceremony will be that literal? They always seem a bit abstract (to put it politely).

What are you on?

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

I hope they don't because they both have the talent to jump long, but Greg Rutherford and Chris Tomlinson never quite seem to live up to expectations.  

• PhilPub wrote (see)

Not sure I understand the motivation for starting a thread like this.  If anyone's made it this far they're obviously near the top of their game and this will be one of the highlights, if not the highlight of their sporting career - football and tennis aside.  image  So if they fail miserably, it's gonna be a bit of a personal disaster.  So if you luckily guess on which particular individual has a nightmare, does that give you some sort of satisfaction to be able to say ''I told you so''?  Nice sentiment.

Were British isn't that enough motivation !

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

The opening ceremony seems incredibly long - four hours or so?  I'd be fed up with it after a couple of hours. 

I've never actually watched any other opening ceremonies, so I won't be able to make comparisons, but, I do think it's likely to be cringe-making from the sound of it!

• "Who do you think will be an Olympic Flop ?"

All of the high jumpers. 

Next question.

• Dicky M wrote (see)

"Who do you think will be an Olympic Flop ?"

All of the high jumpers. 

Next question.

I would have thought of the divers !