Enduroman UK 2013

whos in / thinking about it ?

im contemplating the double but need to do a bit more research and wait until they confirm the date.

Is there any other double distances out there in the UK that arent Brutal / sea swim ?

Comments

• DK i thought the date was confirmed as the weekend of 2 june...........and its the international championship so they are only going as far as the double and leaving the longer ones till 2014.......

the events are brilliantly organised.......well worth doing......image

• KK.have you looked at the results or gone to watch the double and triple this year.............i can't think that you did............they had some amazing athletes there.........just because they are inclusive and put on races that both the mega fast and the wanting to finish can take part in i can't see the problem...............

just because the double put you back 3 years in your run times doesn't mean that racing long is not any good............its a very personal thing..you may want to stop tri and going long....to concentrate on short distances...thats fine..but your way isn't everyones elses;..why always are you on the attack for those who want to go long........just because it doesn't suit you why put the downer on everyone else/.,.

where on here has anyone said that ironman or longer is better.....i ahven't ever read one person say that......it is isn't a competition....its doing things that individual people want to do to challenge themselves................

just because you do something doesn't make it better..............it just makes it different.......

• spongecakespongecake ✭✭✭
    Well said Seren.
  • im not offended by KK's remarks at all. in fact i kind of agree with the longer isnt better attitude.

If KK remembers i even said at the outlaw that I was actually going to concentrate on going shorter and faster in 2013, This is still going to happen, I think it is well in my ability do sprint distance well and still chug around long distance without being  the last one home or have to chase cutoffs.

I mean no offence to people that did the outlaw at close to cut off times but in all honesty i found it quite easy, yes my time was utter crap from what i wanted, i was after a sub 12 and got a 12:46, i learned alot about my nutrition on the bike - or lack of - on the day and wont make them same mistakes, drinking with GB the night before wasnt the best idea either. my mara fell apart and i finished up walking it and still made a sub 13. I was so pissed off with myself that when i got home i signed up for a self imposed arse kicking by entering the grimreaper ultra 70 miler, as the facebook mob will know image . i only ever done 1 marathon before and the outlaw run but i know i beat a few of the ultra guys that had a lot more experience than me just 12 days after doing the outlaw. I seem to be equipped for long distance better than i thought.

So its with these findings that i find myself torn between 

1 - i would love to dedicate more time to improving at shorter distances knowing that i can improve a lot on my middle of the pack placings

2 - i would love to go long - really long, and not at a slugs pace, my finish place in the grim was in the top 25% with no relevant training 

this is why i agree with KK - for me being fast (for an fattie forty year old) is a prime objective, im dont want to chase cut offs, i just want the opportunity to get better and place higher in the type of distance im most suited. image

if you read all that you must be bored to death, and for that im sorry 

• seren 

"Enduroman are currently in talks with Avon Tyrrell to secure the grounds for the 2013 event"

ill be asking you loads of stuff i thinks  image 

• Each to their own I say. I'm going to go shorter and faster next year, when I get my mojo back.

You do have an advantage in that you don't know when to stop. Your Outlaw training was steady, and we all had to enforce rest days on you.Well done on the Ultra, and good luck.

Shame that VT'd already has a mentor too, it would have been good to see you two pair up for next year. image

• I read it DK and I neither agree or disagree, whatever floats your boat I say. 

What I do think is that I'm admiration of your effort, good on yer.

• I think KK's opinion is quite a common one from people at the fast end of things, and I understand it. Personally I would love to both go very long and do short very fast.

I think only an individual can decided what their own ambitions are, long, short,middle, whatever.

I love Ironman distance, but I'd encourage anyone to do any distance that they'd find challenging, certainly don't think Ironman is the be all and end all, and certainly don't think as an Ironman I'm better than anyone that's just done their first sprint. I was once there.

I don't earn a lot of money, but I like to spend some of it on racing long, I'm certainly not quick either - being slow I'm getting better value for my entry fee image

• hehe   thanks cat - i think, i wouldnt think im qualified to mentor anyone as im still in my first season really , but next year is going to be interesting, cant wait to get training for sprints, different ball game altogether. And tnx - the ultra went beyond expectation and i actually feel like doing another one next week but im going to be sensible and wait until mid august if i can get in one

thats exactly it VT - is a personal choice for everyone out there doing their thing. I have so much admiration for the people that enter these races and know full well that they could be pulled from the race at any minute. I think that the slower ones have a lot more determination than i will ever have, if i thought I would be that close to cut offs i wouldnt enter the event - for that matter even if i thought i was going to be in the last 25% i would seriously have doubts about entering. But its definitely a mindset thing. 

• image @Cat.  DK could only work with me for about the same 5 mins it took him to empty my transition bags at Outlaw.  All that careful and meticulous packing:

Me:  'What d'ya think DK?'

DK:  'WTF!  Ditch that. Ditch those.  You'll not be needing that. Why have you got two of those?  You'll feckin roast with that on.  Who told you to wear that? Ditch it.'

Me:  But there's feck all left in my bag!

DK: image

• yep    now tell them them what i told you to ditch that would make you roast   lol 

it was a really nice, thick winter cycling jacket iirc image    oh and the winter gloves...

and a bag of pork pies FFS!!!!

• holgs - thats why i strategically fecked up my biking nitrition- i really wanted to blow up in the run so to get my monies worth, its a bloody good excuse and one that i will stand by. image 

• LOL better looking at it than looking for it.  Pork pies?  I also wonder why I had those, I've never finished a pork pie in my life!

Pity you weren't there when I forgot my Garmin.  I'd have done your head in with asking for total time and miles all way round. 

In fact I even remember asking you at the end of the swim how long it took us.

•  

KK, you start by saying youre clearly going to be in trouble for this?  why? and if so why did you post?

Ive got no problem with your opinion's on this, what I do find frustrating is your need to constantly go on about long isnt the be all, etc etc, Tri is to expensive bla bla bla.

I think your feelings for long distance tri are well know by now, similarly your feelings about the cost of tri.  In light of which, was it really necessary to post 6 times knocking this proposition?    Its not only this but you were regularly posting on this years Enduroman thread saying exactly the same things.

Why not contribute something positive, or if you really feel the need to remind us AGAIN how you feel start a thread about it.

kittenkat wrote (see)

I think I'm on a one woman campaign to stop the culture of longer is more worthy of praise from your 'online friends'.

I thought you were saviour of the forum?

• The place would be pretty dull without differing opinions, wouldn't it? I find a lot of your posts really thought provoking, KK, but you do have a tendency to flog dead horses. Personally, I'm not at all turned on by the longer events, but "hats off" to those that are. Go longer slower.... or go shorter faster.... it's all hugely more impressive than watching telly or propping up a bar.

Strikes me that you have it in you to be pretty tidy at this lark, DK (for an old 40-something). I get a lot of positive energy from the way you train and put it out there.... whatever the event. More power to you, my friend.

• Ive no issues with thought provoking, people having different options or controversy but there is a time, place and approach to challenging people.  It was all said on last years Enduroman thread, as it has on numerous other threads, I just dont think it needs saying again.

Slowerthanilook, sorry I completely forgot to mention you in my Outlaw report, youresupport was brilliant, you were brilliant, thank you image

• You're welcome, mate. You were a joy to support.

• DK, I had a great weekend at the Enduroman this year. It was a fantastic atmosphere all weekend from arriving on the Saturday with all the decas, quins and doublers out on the bike course to the triples and 100 mile runners on the run. Obviously later on all the athletes were on the run.

It was my first longer distance tri so cannot compare to Outlaw, IMUK etc but I think it is a totally different set up. I can only imagine what the bike is like on one of the bigger events but I would assume there is some kind of drafting/bunch riding going on with that many people on the road. At the Enduro I was on my own for the whole distance, 116 miles. It is tough but potentially a true reflection of where I was up to. The run course is hard mentally. 24 loops of a 1.1 mile circuit that obnly has about 200 yards of tarmac, the rest trail and paths. Purpletrilady described the run like this to me prior to the event. Imagine a football with a disc around the centre. Push one side of the disc to the floor and then imagine running around the disc. That is what the run is like at Avon Tyrell. It's not a bad description but add in the off road, tree roots, muddy parts when the rain came down, steep inclines through the woods etc. You have to be mentally strong to beat it.

One point I would like to make is the Enduroman team will be your greatest supporters on the day as well as everyone else on other support teams and your own team. Steve, Eddie and Dan (and others) will help you in any way they can to get you to the finish. On the run having the race directors shouting your name out encouraging you personally is something I don't think you would get in many races.

This is a well organised event but it many not have all the finer trimings of other events. The feed station comprises of gels and High 5. You don't get Jaffa cakes, bananas and whatever else IMUK or Outlaw give out but you also don't have a £225-£375 price tag on the event ( single ). It was £135 to enter. Bargain price in my book. Yes the double/triple/quin/deca are more but thats what you would expect.

I met a few pirates there and their support and chat was great. There were others there that I didn't get to meet but were shouting from the sides with Schmunks, Barley, Supercaz. It is a lift in the bad times of the race. There was good camararderie between suppport teams and fellow competitors alike.

It is different but for anyone I'd say give it a go. Train well, eat well and be strong mentally and if it is a goal that you want to achieve, get there and enjoy the success.

• Brilliant post Chilliboy, it is different but different in a good way (not that most of the 'big event' IM/IM distance races arent good also).  I loved the atmosphere at Avon Tyrell, the cammaradorie between all the participants, supporters, race crew etc, its was a real family atmosphere.

I think its a now a much better location than the Litchfield set-up, I also like that its a tough event.  One day ill be back to crach the Double/Triple im sure.

• Barley it was tough for you this year but from what you said it was right not to do the double when there were other priority events and getting your back sorted. Your support was great. I'm sure you'll be back but not standing in the turning circle shouting next time!! 

• Cheers, backs a lot better now thanks, still taking things steady for a while as dont want to relapse. 

I think what I learnt is that you need to be a lot more ready, i.e. start training a lot earler and not rely on 3-4 months peak training in Feb-Mar, next time I give it a shot I want to be lighter and spend a good few months before Christmas developing a solid base.

• Live and learn Barley, its what life is all about!!

Have you started now for next year thenimage

• tnx chilli - its that hardness that actually appeals to me, just done my first ultra and was expecting a nice jolly in the grimsthorp eastate ( stately home - not council image ) but what i got was a bit of tarmac and loads of long grass, mud and an almost insurmountable  mud hill - i fecking loved it, not so much at the time but now i look back to last friday and wish i was back there. 

and tnx also for the comment STIL, got my training back on track now and quite focused, longer or shorter this year - no real certainity there, but quicker - definitely image

• DK.amongst the tri talkers who have gone longer this year...........a number of them have been PB'ing at shorter distances in tri and running..........my year of ultra running helped me Pb at marathon and all the shorter distances last year...........one can help the other...you are determined and will get good results as long as you listen to your body and don't get injured...........

the beacons ultra in npovember  is a good one ....only 46 miles but fun.......