50 yr old born again runner

Hi all,

I've returned to running after 17yrs. I think I may have started a little too enthusiastically. Aprox 3 weeks ago I began running along a disused railway line for approx 20 mins. I did this every day for a week. The following week I switched to alternate days, as I was experiencing a little discomfort just below my knees on both legs. On the 3rd week I found a large field to run in, which also has an ancient athletics track tucked down one side. I'm into week 4 now and I still have a bit of  a twinge under my knees, but not half as bad as before. I run for 25 mins, which equates to 4 laps of the huge field with a 'chariots of fire' 1500 metres around the track at the end. I do stretch my quads, calfs, and hamstrings after each session and sometimes throughout the day as well. I also swim and walk for pleasure. Are there any training tips you could offer, especially with regard to the shin splint issue. I train in Salomon crossmax 2's which feel ok. I did have my gait analysed and I'm a heel striker with mild to moderate pronation.  I weigh 80kg.  And breathe.

Comments

• Well, I just bought a foam roller from Argos (£9.99p) and have abused my body with it, doing glutes, quads, hips, calfs, hamstrings and shins with a little help from a youtube guru. It's a like a workout in itself! I hope it helps with my stiff, aching muscles? I'll try again tomorrow afdter my morning run.

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Good luck.  How often are you running at the moment? I saw that you were insane and did it every day for the first week. As you body is adjusting and getting used to running again i'd not try to do more then 3 maybe 4 but i think just 3 days a week for the first month or two and slowly build up after that.

You can always cross train a couple of days a week improving different other areas like you core etc.. and that long term will help with the running as well.

• What Booktrunk says - stick to 3 days a week for now. Thre's nothing to stop you running for longer than you're running now (perhaps aim for 30 minutes) but it's important you give yourself time to recover. And don't run too fast either.

Shin splints is common in new runners. It should go away after a while but one tip is to write the alphabet in the air with your feet as you sit in a chair or sofa - it helps loosen the tibialis muscles at the front of your lower legs.

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭
    Peter Collins wrote (see)

The alphawhat?

Giggle don't you know your A, B C's? image

• Thanks all,

After the initial agony of the foam roller, my legs feel a lot better. I will try and calm down and limit myself to 3 runs a week. Is it better to start slow and build up ones speed? At the moment I'm running around a huge field for approx 25 minutes, or until I start to fade. 

I may join a running club too. If they'll have an old codger like myself?

• Simon

I too, am over 50, used to be a serious runner 10 Londons last one in 2006, after this around mid 2007 I basically stopped just done a few miles now and then

Taken it back up couple of months ago and now am only up to 4 miles. Problem is enthusiasm does take you over. Just ease back into it and increase distance slowly, I am running 4/5 times a week

I so want to run another marathon but at my age I need to take things slowly to avoid injury. I am planning a half next March / April to allow myself time to build up and not rush and push the distance. I also don't want to do  race too soon, I want to be able to get round a half sub 1.50 at least

So were in same boat really be interesting to see your progress