Beginner to Half Marathon?!

Hi Guys,

Looking for some advice please image

Bit of an overview of me:
20 Years Old
Suffer from Fibromyalgia (had it for 5 years so I'm extremely unfit)
Have signed up for the Brighton Half Marathon in Feb 2015 image

I recently did the C25K programme on a treadmill and did the 3 Mile Sport Relief race at the end of march. I was told on the c25k programme to slow down if I couldn't keep up, but unfortunately I ended up 'running' at 4.5mph in order to complete the 20 Minute running segments.

Anyway, I ran/walked the 3 Mile race in 36 minutes and have started running again on a treadmill at 5mph but I can barely run 1 mile! I have signed up for the Brighton Marathon in 2015 so have over 300 days to get ready! The only downside is that I have Fibromyalgia which means I have to take it slow and steady. 

I think a run/walk plan would be best, but does anyone have a training plan for it?  The ones that I have seen are for shorter periods of time (about 12 weeks) but I think jumping from 1 mile to 2 miles in the second week is a bit out of my capabilities image

Thanks in advance!
Elise

Comments

• you have loads of time, just start building up very slowly now. 

I have recently started using Jeff Galloway's training programmes and have just finished my first full marathon. Basically the running sections are very short - I did the marathon running 20 seconds at a time, with walks of 30 secs 

here is a link to his website: http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/half-marathon-training/

3 miles in 36 minutes is great for a beginner!! Well done

• mathschick wrote (see)

you have loads of time, just start building up very slowly now. 

I have recently started using Jeff Galloway's training programmes and have just finished my first full marathon. Basically the running sections are very short - I did the marathon running 20 seconds at a time, with walks of 30 secs 

here is a link to his website: http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/half-marathon-training/

3 miles in 36 minutes is great for a beginner!! Well done

Thank you image

Yes Jeff's programme looks good! I get a bit confused with the 'MM's though? 

Really excited about it already haha!

• Don't get hung up on speed, you can always build your own time-based plan around whatever feels  comfortable for you, for instance run 5 minutes, walk 1 or any combination that works.

You have plenty of time to build up - good luck!  image

• Screamapillar wrote (see)

Don't get hung up on speed, you can always build your own time-based plan around whatever feels  comfortable for you, for instance run 5 minutes, walk 1 or any combination that works.

You have plenty of time to build up - good luck!  image

Thank you image

Did my first run today on the Treadmill. Did 30 mins of Run 3 mins, Walk 1 min, and my lungs were BURNING by the last few sets! Do you think R3 W1 is too ambitious for a beginner? Was going slow (5mph for runs and 3.5mph walks)

Also, was looking at the Garmin Forerunner 210 as it's on offer in SweatShop. Is it worth me getting a GPS/Heart rate monitor at this 'early stage'?

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Re HRM / GPS if you want one at snypoint the this seems a decent price image

Also if it's hard then no harm in increasing the walk sections at this stage, you have a decent amount of time, so no need to rush. 

• booktrunk wrote (see)

Re HRM / GPS if you want one at snypoint the this seems a decent price image

Also if it's hard then no harm in increasing the walk sections at this stage, you have a decent amount of time, so no need to rush. 

Thank you image

Also, was going to follow the Jeff Galloway programme (http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/half-marathon-training/) but I've just realised that the 2 x Weekday runs are only 30 mins each?! Was expecting the time to gradually increase as well as the Distance runs on the Sunday.
    Does this seem like enough training? I'd be happy to increase the time every week or so?

Thanks for the great advice so far! image

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

It's very much a get around plan image

if you want once you have built up a base then yes, maybe look at increasing one if the midweek runs, solely up to an hour or so, then consider increasing the other a bit or maybe trying to push slightly faster in the short one.

Plans aren't fixed in stone so by all means adapt for what works for you.

also cross training if possible so work to strengthen your core will do you no harm at all and makes running a bit easier especially when you are tired. 

• You have loads of time.  As above but another option would be follow a 12 week plan but do each week twice, but increase say the long run by 1/2 a mile rather then a full mile so your weekly increase is shorter.

Good luck!! You have picked a good half marathon, not run it but have heard loads of good reviews and if the support and atmosphere is anything like the marathon, you'll find this a mager help with energy and spirit if you feel like you are getting tired.

• Thanks, that's a great idea about doing a plan over 24 weeks rather than just 12.

Still unsure what training plan to use. I have a feeling that running for 13.1 miles is out of the question image It took me about 3 months to get up to 15 minutes running at 4.5 Miles per hour. The Jeff Galloway method would mean that I don't get disheartened about my running, but I kind of feel that it's cheating a bit... (no offence to anyone who has done it, but I'm very hard on myself).

If I do the Galloway program, would it build up my fitness enough to run say 2 miles in one go, or is it only very good for 'getting the distance done' rather than endurance?

• I recently did the Derby 10K, having never done a 10K before. I ran as much of it as I could (well jogged it) and walked the rest at a reasonable pace, keeping up with some folks who were jogging. I've got the Notts half marathon to to do later this year and whilst I'm hoping to be able to do longer distances by then I do intend to take the same approach, of not worrying about walking when its necessary.

• I don't think taking walk breaks is cheating if it allows you to cover a certain distance and build up your fitness. You can follow a walk/run programme and still do your shorter runs as continuous runs/build the up to be continuous runs. 

• mathschick wrote (see)

I don't think taking walk breaks is cheating if it allows you to cover a certain distance and build up your fitness. You can follow a walk/run programme and still do your shorter runs as continuous runs/build the up to be continuous runs. 

Thank you image Think I'm going to do the JG method!

What was your marathon time? Congrats on the achievement image

• 6:00:53 image I am slow but I finished and felt good. More importantly I could walk up and down stairs the next day no problem image I think it is the walk breaks that do that 

• It seems muscle memory takes a part too. The last 10k I did my legs and feet ached immediately after, my second I did today hardly aches at all so I guess building up to a distance or doing it before certainly pays.

• mathschick wrote (see)

6:00:53 image I am slow but I finished and felt good. More importantly I could walk up and down stairs the next day no problem image I think it is the walk breaks that do that 

Wow that's great! You are still in the 1% of people that have run a Marathon image Hopefully I'll join you one day image

Andrew Morley wrote (see)

It seems muscle memory takes a part too. The last 10k I did my legs and feet ached immediately after, my second I did today hardly aches at all so I guess building up to a distance or doing it before certainly pays.

That's encouraging to know image Hope the aches stay away for you!

Was meant to Run/Walk today, but I have a terrible cold and sore throat. So frustrating when I just want to get out there!

• Walk breaks aren't cheating, they are an accepted strategy. Some people have run very fast marathons using this method.

Anything that's' helping to extend your training sessions is helping to build up your endurance. Exactly what you need to run a half marathon.

• Hi Elise,

seems they are, which I', encouraged about as it was definately hilly yesterday image I would love to know what a flat time would have been for the same distance. 

• Elise - I have a rubbish headache/sore throat lurgy too, very frustrating but it is essential to rest and get over it before getting back to running

• Yep resting is a much a part of training as pounding the roads. without rest your prone to injury and missing and event.

Rest and recover to run better when your well image

• Yes, I agree! Soooooooo frustrating! Just want to start my plan image Treated myself to a Garmin Forerunner 210 so I want to get back even more now!

Hope you feel better soon image

• Sounds a nice way to treat yourself for when your up to running again image

• Hi all!

Still have sinus problems, but I can breathe through my nose now which is a massive improvement! Went for a run this morning, just an 'Easy Run' of 30 mins. As I'm doing the Jeff Galloway R-W-R method, I decided on Run for 3 mins Walk for 1 minute. It was so hard image Its really knocked  my confidence. I know I'm not 100% but this was terrible! The stats from my run aren't too bad (2.17 Miles in 29.27mins) but it was 100% more difficult than I though. I even changed the R/W ratio to Run 2 mins walk 1 min (after about 1.5 miles) but I was getting tired after the first minute of running. 

When does it get easier?!

• Hi Elise,

maybe try building up by walking first, then doing some "fast" walking and see how that goes ? I know when I first started jogging I could only do 50yards or so before I walked so go gently and I'm sure before long it will get easier image

• Andrew Morley wrote (see)

Hi Elise,

maybe try building up by walking first, then doing some "fast" walking and see how that goes ? I know when I first started jogging I could only do 50yards or so before I walked so go gently and I'm sure before long it will get easier image

Thanks Andrew! It doesn't help that I live on the South Downs and literally there is nowhere flat to run!

Went out for another run today. Covered more distance in a similar time so I was pleased with that image
    Started with Run 1 Min 30, Walk 1 min but had to move it down to Run 1 Walk 1 about 3/4s of the way through. Still feel like I'm going really slow!

/members/images/542202/Gallery/30-04-14.png

• Thats cool Elise,

gently is the way to start image take breaks when you feel you need to by walking, then build it up as you are doing and you'll find before long you've upped the distance quite a bit image

• mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

well done Elise. Don't focus on how fast/slow you are, it really doesn't matter