Does anyone else NOT want to run a marathon?!

2»

Comments

• Hallam Blue wrote (see)

parkrun is the best thing out there. Social, and the chance to challenge yourself. Whereabouts are you?

I'm in Norwich, there's one a short walk from me in Eaton Park...

• I started after hearing somebody called me well padded, not original but true, as I was near 19st. Since I've done 4 HM's and a 7.5 mile off road last Sunday and dropped 2st, although I'm the least motivated person, training wise, ever. I always said I wouldn't do more than a HM, but then I saw the event advert for The Giant's Head, in Dorset. I entered before I had chance to talk myself out of it. Then I entered Chester in October. In for a penny, in for a pound lol
  • There are all sorts of motivations. There's a very nice guy at my local parkrun who, in his mid-40s, decided he wanted to run 50 marathons before he was 50. He got that and is now closing in on his 100th. What this means is that he runs an awful lot of marathons, and in decent times (3hrs15 or so, I think), but I would hazard a guess that if he were to decide to run only the one next year, say, and train only for that, he could get close to that magic sub-3hr mark. But he's gone for mostly quantity over top quality. Some 'proper' marathon runners would find the idea of running as many as possible absurd - they train to go fast in one every so often. I often think this about parkrun - I bust a gut every week, but only occasionally come close to a PB, because doing a 5k race every week is not the best way to run as fast as you can, I would assume.

• I don't want to run a marathon either.  It sounds painful.  I think it would be bad for my feet and I'm too fat. Anything which requires taping/greasing one's anatomy or performing bodily functions in public does not appeal.  AND, I don't like the idea of long training sessions because I often leave my kids in the house while I go out.  Little and often is more my thing.

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

I started running because i wanted to run a marathon. My 3rd marathon put me off marathons for a while. i have no real desire to 'race' a marathon, just run for pleasure.

I prefer to race 5k to hm. I think 5k is the toughest distance to race because I have to run at a pace that is painful. i'm racing on the track on Sat. 400m. now that really does hurt.

• Hi, never wanted to run a marathon, not even a half marathon.   I used to chalk up 50kms a week every week doing around 12kms/per hour.   Alot of my running acquaintances and friends ask me why I won't try out for the marathon.  Well I am just not inclined image  I have been running all my life LOL and for me life IS a marathon ;-D  OH the next frequent question I get is why do you run?   Well because I can, I have two healthy legs and I intend to use them well !  

• always wanted to do a marathon ever since I did a runner from Borstal in the 70's.

• I had to really push my wife into doing one and later in the evening after doing it, she was looking for the next one.  I'm in the longer is better club, but I am impressed by a sub 40 min 10K as well image

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Faithsdaddy wrote (see)

I had to really push my wife into doing one..

Did she run on behalf of "Women's Aid" by any chance?  image

• I'm not sure if I'd like to do one. Maybe one day when I have more time but the miles needed training put me off and really, I'm just not that bothered. I am of the 'well I did a 10k now want to do hm" camp but I think 13 miles is easily far enough and a big enough test of endurance (for me anyway). Also going to keep doing 10k runs as it's just a nice distance and one that I'd like to beat the pbs in.

• After I run the manchester marathon later this month, I plan to stick to 5k and 10k distances for the next year or so. I won't be entering a marathon in 2014 but hope to run one again in 2015, but not until I've got my 10k time to below 40:00 so I can have a decent crack at running a GFA marathon time.

• Yeah, I don't particularly want to run this marathon in two days time...
    I found that the more marathon training I did in the build-up, the more I realised I'm really a 5K/10K runner with no real appetite for long, slow mileage.
    Suppose this might all change if I finish Sunday with a semi-respectable time, but I doubt it will.

• I do wish everyone the very best of luck and freshest of legs for Sunday.

I have been looking at speed Vs distance and I think my first post-C25k thing will be to improve times.  

I think I'll start with adding a 4th run day to my week which will be Parkrun on a Saturday and then I can work on improving times...

Thanks for your input/advice everyone, it's really made me think!

• Run Wales wrote (see)

You're at the "cannabis" end of running right now.  It feels good.

You're in control. It seems impossible that you'd ever want to progress to the cocaine and heroine end of the spectrum. And even if you did, you think you have the willpower to resist.

We've all been there.

Get back on the couch. Now.  Before it's too late.

This is so true.

I'm going through the mood swings of withdrawal due to groin strain image

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    Faithsdaddy wrote (see)

I'm in the longer is better club

Allegedly, that's what your wife said too image

(sorry, I couldn't resist)

• I used to say I never wanted to run a marathon, and I am training for one in August. Whilst I train I think I should have stuck with half's as they are a lot easier and less demanding! But they don't challenge me which is why I took the next step!
  • BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Tenjiso wrote (see)
    Faithsdaddy wrote (see)

I had to really push my wife into doing one..

Did she run on behalf of "Women's Aid" by any chance?  image

LMFAO...

Seriously, it's all down to personal perferance. I think it was Chris Brasher who said that 5k is like being burnt with a match and marathons are like being roasted alive. Think he was referring to short, sharp pain v long lingering pain image

• I grew up wanting to do marathons as my dad did them. I love doing them. I find it much harder and less enjoyable doing a 5k, I'm just not cut out for speedwork whereas I can merrily plod along in a marathon.

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭

^^^ Oh God, I've just realised what I said... No offence intended...image

• I have completed two half marathons this year with two more to come. I am fairly new to running (circa 1 1/2 years) and I can honestly say I have no intention of ever running a marathon image

• It's funny, I am full of admiration for people that do them, but apart from not wanting to, I just don't think I could - not in a lack of self-belief way, just realistically dealing with the prep and the post-race care, I really don't think it's in me.  I've read up about all the things to do before and after race day and it feels painful, it makes me wince just reading it!

I might one day be tempted to a half - possibly, maybe, perhaps...

But I am very interested in doing 5k and maybe 10k and improving at those, so perhaps I'll find they're my distance.  I've already mapped my distance to work which is 7.5k, a bit out of my league at the moment, but I could get into cycling that distance for cross-training. It was always my intention to bike it, and I nagged them into getting a ladies' shower and a bike shelter so I really ought to use them!

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I used to have no interest in doing any races at all, and just liked going outside for a 5-8k run at whatever pace I felt like more or less every day, for fun and to use up energy. I didn't want to have to bother thinking about different kinds of training, schedules, etc.

Now I love doing races because I'm competitive and I quite like the focus of having a training plan to follow, and I've just done my first marathon (it had not occurred to me before last year that I would want to do one). But it is quite a different thing, and I like the just running around a bit outside and using my body approach too.

The other thing that occurs to me is that I think 5k races are hard too because of having to run faster. But for some relative beginners if they have put a lot of work in to building up to 5k, and they are not likely to be very fast anyway for a while, then it does seem logical that 10k and then a half marathon seem like the same kinds of target.

• Did anyone ever think less of Michael Johnson because he never stepped up to 800m ?

I started running in 2002; I've done 10 half marathons, and love the distance. I enjoy 10ks too, and love parkrun, but the half marathons are the challenges I relish.

I have no desire to do a marathon (But respect and admire those who do. A friend of mine ran a PB in Boston and then did London too. Another set a PB in London last week, then smashed it in Sunderland this morning !)

I once said I would never do a marathon, but was rebuked by a running friend. "Never say never" I was told. To appease him, I said I would do one when Sunderland (his team) do the Premiership/Champions League double. He lost a battle with cancer last year, but just in case he's watching, I'll make good that promise if I ever need to. I think I should be OK though.

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

They are going to survive in the premier league and beat Newcastle 3-0 for most that probably equates to a better double.... Better start lacing up your trainers... image 

• I have only been running since last summer, and did first my (very slow) Half last weekend. I honestly have no desire to ever run 26.2. I do want to improve on my Half time, but that's enough of a goal for me. 

This may partly be influenced by the fact that I have power walked 26.2, twice, and I still remember how utterly boring it was between miles 19 and 24! Also, being such a slow runner, I could be out there for days trying to run a marathon image

• Even when I was a keen 10K racer I never had the urge to run much further than that, and now, after a 17 year break from running (and just starting the Couch25K) my interests haven't changed. My goal at the moment is to survive the Race for Life 5K in July wearing my VFFs, then I'll aim for 10Ks. Fell running interests me far more than marathons.