Just awoken from a coma, can I run the VLM?

Comments

• seren nos wrote (see)

does cocking make you gag then David

Well he says he's friends with Tom Daley image

• I disagree about going to the expo, you don't see the elite turn up to collect their number, that's just for the charity joggers. You'll have more important things to do before the race like your final 20mile MP practice run. Just tell one of the marshalls on the day who you are and your predicted finishing time. I'm sure they'll be happy to write your name on a fresh race bib and you'll be good to go.

• If you see a guy called Mo, he's running at your pace. Try to keep up with him.

• well, the way i look at it, if Eddie Izzard can run 1000 marathons in 1000 days with no preparation, then I should be able to get ready for a marathon in 11 days.

I've spoken to a really good friend of mine who is really hard, and he's been in the army and everything, and he said to get as close to the start line as possible, then just nail it when the gun goes off, and perhaps stop down around mile 20 when i hit the wall, have a gel, then nail it again.

That sounds like the kind of plan that would work for me, and I trust my friend because he's really fast. He did a 26.2 mile training run in 1:45 last year, and he could have gone to the Olympics but he didn't want the hassle, but he's the best in the world at the 800, mile, 5k, 10k, half marathon and marathon, but he's too busy to enter races because he's in the army, so you won't be able to find him on any website, but he could definitely beat all of you on here. Did I mention he's really hard too?

• I have never LOLed so much on RW as I have today. My colleagues must think I'm batshit crazy! image

• Screamapillar wrote (see)

I have never LOLed so much on RW as I have today. My colleagues must think I'm batshit crazy! image

its certainly been a good couple of threads.....

is David still gagging..........must have something in his mouth keeping him quiet

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

a wise man once said its only 2 half marathons back to back, and they are easy.

& its only 4 * 10kms races and you dont need to train for them, doddle!

actually its even easier than that its only 8 * 5k and they are a piece of pi$$ as my mums mate, fat brenda, the one with the gammy eye and limp did a top end race called a parkrun and finished it nearly without walking.

hold on a minute its only approx 400 * 100m sprints - and i could do a 100m at my school on a grass track in 10 secs, timed by my PE teacher on a casio calculator watch and they were really good.   coma or not i think you will be finished before andrew marr show has finished

• This thread is brilliant!

i actually started reading thinking this was genuine image

• so glad I was reading the other one already, it just made this one soooo funny

• dean - so doesnt that work out that you could be done in like 70 minutes? Sounds simple enough

• I think we should keep focused, AgentGinger will of faced real adversity to get to the start line of VLM... I see a film in this!

• They could call it "Coma Cameleon" image

• that would be epic. I could be played by either Tom Hardy or that fat one off of The Only Way is Essex who walked around the london marathon last year.

• OMG I think I know who AG and his mate is. I think they've both just been signed up to a premiership football club. 

Anyway AG I don't know if you know but there's a run in Brighton this weekend, which can't be as far or hard as the London Marathon so I think you could win that too. You should do it. I mean that Mo Farah guy did exactly the same thing last year, winning two races in consecutive weekends. He's only a tiny skinny runt you're bound to be better than him. 

• True, you had a lot of time to rest up...your good to go!

• awesome, cheers guys, i'll do that. I mean, Brighton isn't as good as London right? Hardly anyone has heard of Brighton, so it should be easy.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Back2basics wrote (see)

dean - so doesnt that work out that you could be done in like 70 minutes? Sounds simple enough

70min is nothing, i spent longer than that in nandos this lunch time....winner winner chicken dinner.

• Are you sure the Brighton marathon is the same length as the one in London?

• Jen HartJen Hart ✭✭✭
    Well, you'll ace it AG! I myself did a 10 mile ride on my bike last weekend and that was after a long walk! I can also swim so reckon training for a triathlon is next!

By the way, I assume you are putting your ballot place to good use and are also taking part for a charity, please don't forget to post a random link to your fundraising page so I and all the other forumites can sponsor you!
  • I really think all this advice you've been given is terribly irresponsible. You won't finish the marathon on so little training. You should sell your ticket. You'll be able to do it quite easily on eBay.
  • dean richardson 7 wrote (see)
    Back2basics wrote (see)

dean - so doesnt that work out that you could be done in like 70 minutes? Sounds simple enough

70min is nothing, i spent longer than that in nandos this lunch time....winner winner chicken dinner.

image Its in the bag! Not even a challenge really

• Love this thread and such great advice image

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    If you really want a good time don't forget to push right to the front at the start.

You won't upset anyone because you have your headphones in. Anyone who tries to get past you is just being rude and elitist.

It's your race so just run to your own rules, no one else's

Good luck!
  • Also, make sure you get together with some mates and run or, preferably, walk four or five abreast right in the middle of the course.

You'll make lots of extra friends that way image

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

Have to agree with RR. I can't see what the point is of running this, you would win anyway so you may as well flog your entry on ebay and save yourself the hassle of actually having to run it.

Millsy, never heard anything so silly, how is AG going to find 4 or 5 friends fast enough to keep up?

• If AG really wanted to sell his place I don't know why he would bother with ebay. I thought this forum was started to allow people to sell/swap race entries?

His friends could always just go along on their push bikes. I saw one of these marathon things on TV before and there was loads on people on bikes with the leading pack. I assume they were all friends. 

• SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭

I think you should sue the people who allowed you to run so fast you went into a coma in the first place. Aren't the Police responsible for making sure you don't collapse? Shouldn't there be a warning on pairs of trainers etc saying that this could happen?

Sue the s**t out of them, then use the money to pay someone to run for you! A sub 2:15 marathon and you don't even have to break into a sweat!

£3M sounds about right

• The important thing at London is you want everyone cheering you on, it gives you a big boost!

So make sure to wear a really big elaborate costume!

• Again I have to disagree. AG should just stick to his hospital gown. It's ideal running wear, it's light weight, breathable and he should get a lot of cheering from people behind him. 

• Chimpster wrote (see)

Again I have to disagree. AG should just stick to his hospital gown. It's ideal running wear, it's light weight, breathable and he should get a lot of cheering from people behind him. 

Or screaming! image