Newbie Runner

Comments

• I'm so frustrated, I braved the storm (really just a bit of wind/light rain) and ran my first mile (this week is the first week that my running intervals get up to mile) and then my running app froze! Very annoying as I'd managed a 10:58 mile, I'm usually about 12 or 13! I was so frustrated at having to start the app again that I walked 5 minutes and then ran another mile home. I was supposed to do 4 reps of 1 mile running/340 yards walking. But I suppose getting to my first mile will be progress enough for today! I actually gave up halfway through my first run last week (0.8mile intervals) but the other two times I've done the whole thing and felt great. Funny how the same run can feel completely different on different days.

Watto, how are you finding your Garmin? I have had the same one in my Amazon basket for a month but was put off by a few people saying the GPS took too long to locate them, the other reviews were positive though, but I haven't made the plunge yet!

• NicolaSlow - i really like the Garmin Forerunner 10, part of me wishes i had spent a bit more to get the cadence tracking etc, but have a polar for HRM if i wanted to check that!

I didnt wanna spend upwards of £100 when I wasnt sure if i was going to stick with the old running lark, but if I do then i may look to upgrade and ebay the 10 and the polar. 

How much is it showing for on amazon, think it was £75ish i paid..but can check!

Regarding the location GPS, i have not had a problem as long as I am standing still.  On saturday I set it to find location whilst walking my walm up lap and it couldnt pick it up.  However once i stopped still for a minute, it picked up the signal no problems!

I really love the virtual pacer functionality, think is is great feature and can see that being a large part of my training dependance.  

If you have the money avaialble, i would say go for it!!

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    booktrunk wrote (see)

TankDriver: hehe the editor would have to work overtime. i know that my grammer is awful! I promise you i'm not an inspirational figure, I'm so not image I'm more a poster girl for how not to do things. You to can do this..... or if you had any sense you'd eat sensibly and exercise and not get as bad as I did image

MS Word could be your best friend...  It will fix spelling mistakes and highlight grammatical errors for you...  I seem to remember that you've run a marathon (twice the furthest distance I've ever managed) and have either done or are planning to do an ultra so you're not doing too badly...  And I guess you must have learnt a thing or two along the way...  I'm sure we've all made mistakes but recognising them is half the battle...  I've recently started again in order to improve my running gait in an attempt to not be an over-striding heel striking plodder...  That was only last week so to soon yet to say if I've been successful image

• Jeez, I turn my back for a day and the thread explodesimage

Hi Nicola and well done on starting this running larkimage

Tank et al, Booktrunk is being a little modest as she is inpirational! There are lots of people that have been inspired by her (me included). All I'll say is take a look at page 21 of this months RW mag (yes, an entire page).

However, I'll bring her down a peg or 2 next September when we go head to head (or should that be toe to toe?) at the Loch Ness Marathonimage

Living up North there was very little wind today but heavy rain. Managed 3 miles 'easy' in the VFF bikilas. 1st mile was too fast, 8:53 @65% MHR. 30:06 for the 3 miles so slowed to keep HR (71.81%avg) in check and, average cadence was 186spm image

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭

Andi -- I'd like the chance to read page 21 of this month's RW (is that Oct or Nov) but it's not sold in any outlets in the town closest to where I live image  An average cadence of 186 spm is very impressive, particularly at a slowish speed...  How exactly do you manage that?  I'm struggling to reach 180 no matter how hard I try.

• Sod it I need to buy a cadence sensor or a 620 image

• Tank, sign up for it here, they usually have promotions onimage And it's the November issue (came out over the weekend). If you want a (very) long version of page 21 then take a look at booktrunks thread.

Cadence has increased in the VFF bikilas as they 'make' you mid/toe strike, am still transitioning in them so mix it up with 'proper' shoes where my average cadence is around 164!

lol Steph, running ain't so cheap as buying a pair of shoes is itimage

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭

Andi -- I had a quick look at that thread but think I'll wait to read the abridged version in the Nov issue of RW...  I'm out and about tomorrow so I'm hopeful I'll be able to pick up a copy somewhere.

I've recently purchased a pair of Nike Free 3.0s so that I can get a better feel of the ground beneath my feet...  I'm consciously trying to hit a cadence of 180 spm but am hitting between 175 and 178...  And also trying to bring my feet right up under my arse so that they land under my centre of mass...  I could get an average cadence of about 168 in my "proper" shoes image

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    booktrunk wrote (see)

Sod it I need to buy a cadence sensor or a 620 image

I'd definitely go for the 620 if my wallet could stretch to it...  Something else to consider is an electronic metronome, which can be picked up for about a tenner -- just set it to 180 bpm and try and keep time with it image

• Tank, I'm reading a book (don't laugh I have read a few). It's by barefoot Bob (not bf Ted from Born to be wild) and trying to pick up a few tips - he reckons a white line on the road* is a barefooters paradise and today was trying to get both feet to land on the white line with reasonably success. The other thing he does which felt weird is to bend his knees more than most (sort of like squatting a little). It seemed to work best going downhill but reckon I look more than a little silly lol.

Oh, was playing around with my foot landing today and came back with sore ankles as I was obviously landing differently - trying to land on the ball of my foot but with a flattish foot so the heel just touches the ground (got confused a few times).

* best not to use the white line in the centre of a road of course.

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭

Andi -- What's the "Born To Be Wild" book?  I'm currently reading "Born To Run" and Barefoot Bob gets a mention in that...  I'm also currently reading Chi Running by Danny Dreyer and Get Running by Matt Roberts...  These are books that I was able to pick up off the shelf at my local book store.  I'm not familiar with the "white line" idea... Are both feet supposed to land on the centre of it or just touch it?  Also, what's the theory behind the bend of the knees?  Just trying to hit 180 spm and keep a straight back feels a bit goofy after many years of a hunched over plodding style...  I decided to go for a more minimalist shoe after recently watching a video clip of myself running...  Prior to that, and I'm going to sound like a bit of a numpty here, I always thought I was more of a mid-foot striker image

• oops, must have had the song in my head, of course, tis Born to Runimage Barefoot Ted is a major character but yes, Bob does get mentioned a few times too.

I think the white line thought is that its one of the smoothest surfaces a barefoot/minimalist runner can run on and yup, Bob suggests the landing foot should be in the centre of the body - makes sense to me image

I guess the knee bend is to reduce impact, I know I find running down hill harder in the bikilas than running up it and in 'proper' shoes I still tend to heel strike and am basically putting the breaks on going down hill.

I also read (and thought) that 180spm was the optimum cadence but reading this book it would appear to say that should be the minimum in the barefoot world.

Now we are in danger of hijacking Watto's thread, maybe we should start a barefoot/minimalist one? 

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭

Andi -- In Born To Run I think there's a Barefoot Bob and a Barefoot Ted, it's a bit confusing...  Anyway, good idea about starting a new thread, if you could do the honours I'll be along shortly image

• Watto, thanks for the advice! It's £79 at the moment but has fluctuated between 75-80 since I put it in the basket. I may have to go for it now. My app gives me my pace at the end of each rep but I have to look at my phone to constantly check and it always surprises me, I really can't tell the difference at the moment.

Andi - I signed up for the magazine a few days ago but the January issue (out 27/11) is the earliest one it would let me have. I'll have to hunt it down in the shops! Although I've read Booktrunk's thread at least twice now!

• hijack away...it makes me feel popularimage!!

Run last night...wasn't really feeling it to be honest, had a massive row with the boyfriend beforehand.  Ran a mile in 14.40 so slower than saturday.  Hey ho, it was cold, windy, rainy and to be honest I just couldnt be bothered. 

Today I feel like a new day and want to look to try to start increasing my speed a little. 

I have uploaded my Garmin onto Garmin Connect and have seen the Max Speed column.  Last night it was 10.57max speed (mile) but on Saturday morning when I felt great and did my quickest mile my max speed was 5.20 although looking at the drill down part of the pace shows it at quite a jagged run!  There were a couple of slower times and a couple of faster moments but overall the average towards the end of the run looks nearer the 12min/mile mark.  I wonder if I should be aiming for this with my speed training.  

The Route i run is pretty flat or i think it is, it shows the elevation gain as 40, I am right in thinking that is about as flat as it gets?!  Sorry to be thick but what does the 40 stand for??!

No more outdoor runs until Sunday now as conflicting shedules with my running partners, so going to go to the gym on Wednesday and do some interval training on the treadmill and then a swim, then gym again on Friday. 

Outdoor run Sunday morning and I am going to push for a mile and half without stopping.  Like running in the day so much more...feel a lot safer and happy to go at my own pace.  

Sorry for all the rambling, in a funny mood and not really sure where i should be pushing myself...speed or distance!! ultimately i want both but I know its not going to happen overnight.  

• Tank, yes, it can be confusing, Barefoot Ted is one of the main characters that Chri M and others thought a little weird, If my memory serves me correctly 'Bob' is mentioned but wasn't in the Canyon Race but may have appeared in one of the ultras? (it's an age/memory thing lol).

If Watto is happy with use residing here and talking barefoot/minimalist then am happy as it will be one less thread to keep track of (am one of many yhat don't get new post notification). Oh, looking at connect.Garmin last night I noticed my max cadence was 204 spm!!

Lol Nicola, I can't remember exactly when I joined Booktrunks thread but remember thinking I'll read the first couple of pages then catch up but ended up reading it all. It's her fault I ran a Marathon as I was happy just jogging alongimage

Watto, if I were to offer any advice it would be to go for time on feet, it's been said already but ignore pace, it's the 'fastest' way to injure yourself!. If I were you I'd not think about speed or speed sessions until at least the Spring. My first Marathon was run with no speedwork at all as you juse don't need it in the early days image As for the elevation does it just say 40? no m or anything ft after it? Neither sound particularly flat for just a mile mind.

That said I always try to run faster each month but now go out without a pace screen on my watch!  just have current HR% and Average HR% 

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭

Andi -- Let's stick with this thread then, I think there'll be some good info for newbies anyway...  And as I've recently started again I feel a bit like a newbie myself...  204 spm sounds amazing to me...  How do you managed that?

WR -- Don't worry about having a "bad" run, some days will be like that...  And as has already been said, pace isn't the most important thing right now, that will come in time.

• The more the merrier as far as I am concerned!!

Thanks guys, I am feeling much better now since i have been playing with the route planner on the greatrun website....i like to see how far routes are and the gradient!

I am nervouse of running around my local area for fear of looking like a t!t and also becuase its not the nicest area at night....not too bad, but dont feel overly comfortable on my own.  Same for the park we normally run at...not too bad but not somewhere I want to be on my own!

Tomorrow no running partners are available, so i was planning on going to the gym to train on the treadmill, but I feel like a run on my own would really do me some good, not going to other peoples pace or expecetations, just me.  So i have found a nice circular route in a very nice area (albiet i would need to drive there...but would feel comfortable to run around that area on my own!) which is 2 miles for the circular.  I am thinking of going there tomorrow, 1 mile walk to warm up and then attempt as much as i can jogging and then another mile to cool down.  

I was thinking of leaving the pace at 14.50min/mile on the virtual pacer and just see how I get on.  I dont think in my wildest dreams I will be able to run the lot in one go, but maybe if i could push just over the mile then that would be an great achievement for me.  

I've done a continuous mile now for 3 runs straight and on sunday i did a mile, walked for a bit and then another mile...so I am thinking I should be able to get over the mile mark in one go.  I'm not quite sure why i have built it up so much in my head!!  we shall see.  Having ran saturday, hard gym session sunday and ran yesterday (albeit half heartedly) i am having today as a rest day. 

Now I have wrote my plan down I am really looking forward to going tomorrow to see how I get on!

Can I ask another silly question...why do you run in barefoot or the bilkas (sp sorry!!)?? is it a crazy adreniline thing or does it make you run better?!  It sounds painfull to wussy old me!!!!

• NicolaSlow, i would really say to get one.  Having uploaded all my runs this morning, the information the GarminConnect gives you is fantastic!

I really think I would be struggling to keep up enthusiasm if it wasnt for all the facts and figures and the improvements that can be seen!

Not sure if you can log in (you have to have something downloaded on your computer) but if you do then I could tell you my username and password so you can see the type of information it can give you??

• Thanks Watto, you've convinced me and I've just ordered one!

I completely understand what you mean about not feeling safe when running. Up until last week I was able to fit in a run after work a few days a week and one at the weekend, but now it's dark by the time I get home. I was attacked and couple of years ago at night (not badly at all but enough to shake me up!) And I still avoid going out on my own in the dark if I can. I've just ordered a treadmill too (coincidentally with the compensation money I got from the attack which has taken a year to come through) so I'm hoping to do 2 runs a week on that and 2 outside. I've joined the gym in the past but just never actually get myself there!

Good luck with your run, I find half the fun is planning the route beforehand image
  • Good on you, i dont think you will regret it...what colour did you go for?!  I have the green and white one - love it!

The darker nights really are a pain in the bum...then again in the light people would see me and how red and blotchy i look image!!!

Sounds like you have had an expensive day with the treadmill....am sure it will pay dividend and will probably only be a few months worth of gym membership. 

I am currently a memeber at a gym which i will stick with until Jan as I have personal training sessions booked and paid for until then.  However in the Spring, if I am still loving the running then I think I will probably knock it on the head.  For £55 a month I can buy lots of running gear!!!

• I went for the green too image it should be here by the beginning of next week and the treadmill arrives on Tuesday. I've just come home to another running t shirt which has arrived too. I agree with Booktrunk, once you've spent so much money on running gear, quitting isn't really an option! My next run is tomorrow morning, going to aim for the 4 reps of 1 mile running/340 yards jogging I was supposed to do on Monday!

• Txs Tank and the cadence is just down to tiny (tiny) steps, you should see me tiptoeing up hills lol

Watto, best to be safe rather than sorry at all times and not just when it's darkimage Sounds like your making good progress already and would imaging these 'easy' improvements will last maybe a year image As for the mimimalist running, it's not so much an adrenaline rush as an old man doing everything he can to remain injury free (though it would appear many 'shod' runners don't agree). Imho it is good fun as well, next purchase is in the post and an 'upgrade' to Xero Shoes huearchesimage

Nicola, sorry to hear about getting beaten up image though the treadmill should go some way to ease the painimage What did you order? And, you need to learn not to agree with Booktrunk all the time else you'll be doing ultras with her withing a yearimage

Aborted my attempt at a sub 30 5k after the first mile today as I got a niggle in my right hamstring image Stretched, bit of a rub then carried on and if I cheat and add the 2 times together it would have been 28:49 so will make that my target for next weekimage

• Andi, I basically went for the cheapest I could find image as I'm not sure how I'll get on with it and it will probably just have to get me through until the spring. I went for this one http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3358883.htm and got it through Homebase on their 15% off weekend so not bad at all. It arrives nest week so fingers crossed!

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭

Watto -- The minimalist thing for me is, like Andi, and older person trying to remain injury free whilst also trying to achieve faster times...  In order to achieve that I decided that I needed to practice good running form...  The elements of good form, or at least what I consider to be good form, that I'm focusing on are (a) a cadence of at least 180 spm, (b) getting my feet to land under my centre of mass, (c) keeping my back straight, and (d) a mid/forefoot strike...  Obviously other people might have a different view as to what constitutes good form, but anyway...  Wearing minimalist shoes enables me to get a better feel of the ground under my feet, plus when all the cushioning is taken away one will tend to naturally mid/forefoot strike as heel striking becomes painful...  By trying to hit 180 spm my stride shortens and there is less chance of over-striding.  This approach won't be for everyone...  There have been people on these forums saying that wearing minimalist shoes has almost crippled them, plus some people think it's just a fad...  I'm only one week into it so it's too soon for me to say whether or not I think it'll be for me in the long run (excuse the pun)...  I hope that makes sense image

• Makes perfect sense Tank image

Oh, and another reason for trying it, these are my next pair of 'shoes' $31and guaranteed for 5,000miles! People reckon a 'normal' pair of shoes are good for around 500 miles so there would be a decent saving there as wellimage

• Interesting thread, hope you don't mind me joining in?

Andi - like your choice of shoes image I have recieved my Pink ones today, looking forward to seeing what they perform like

• Hi Mummy! (sounds weird lol). Did you get yours from the UK? I decided to order a dail earlier and got them from the US but have a sneaking feeling customs have them image

I do have a pair of their huearches but wasdrunk when U cut them out so they don't fit so wellimage Oh, I went for Lime Greenimage

• thanks for explanation,...who knew there was so much to running!!

• lol Watto, I guess getting out there is the easy partimage

Oh Tank, just been recharging the kindle and my current book is Barefoot running Step by Step by Barefoot Ken Bob (Sexton).