Not getting any easier?

Hi

I have been doing Jogscotland for 5 weeks, nearly 6, and I actually feel like I am getting the running 'bug' now- love the feeling of 'I did it', the change in my body shape, etc etc.

I know this sounds pretty stupid though, but the runs are feeling a lot harder now as we are running more than walking (2/1 for eg). At what point does running NOT feel like a mammoth effort? Is it when I get to the stage of being able to run continuously for 20 mins or more, or before?

I realise no two people are the same, but I am concerned that if every run I do going forward is going to feel tougher mentally and physically that I will not last the course. I like so many want running to not feel like a mammoth effort every time, and for the whole run to be totally enjoyable, rather than getting that feeling at the end. I guess I am looking for re-assurance that there will be a point in the not too distant future when the run is easier...

But I just feel at the moment I am almost going backwards- I can just about complete what I have to do but it is tough. I have not had to quit yet, but there are times where I think I will not get to the end (even though I have, albeit approx. 4.3mph lol). I know we are told never to compare ourselves to others, but when you are lagging quite a bit behind the pack, it can be disheartening.

Having said that, I am absolutely loving Runner's world, the adrenaline rush, and I cannot wait to be able wear some decent fitness gear. I have even being doing strenght exercises in the gym twice a week too! Having your tops falling off your shoulders, and your trousers falling down at the waist can only be a good thing!

Sorry to have a rant, but would love to get some feedback on this, good or bad.

Comments

• Hi Gillian!

I'm very much a beginner too, only been running since the turn of the year. I was also waiting for it to get easy! I think I've changed what I expect now. It's not getting easier, as my distance and speed are going up all the time, so every run is still a bit of a challenge. But what gets easier is that I know I can do it now. 

Having never been sporty at all I think it's me training my brain to understand my body is capable of doing what I ask it to do! It's still a physical effort, but I don't get the mental block now ..

Not sure if that's helpful? But you've come so far already ... keep going!

• I know other people will disagree with me, but I have run 4 marathons now, but still go out and struggle on every singel run. When I try to get people to run with me, they are always intimidated because they think I must be ultra fit and ultra fast. I have know convince a work colleague to come with me and after 4 weeks or so, she is is completely relaxed because she sees me struggling as much as her. However, of course, the more you run the fitter you will become, but not necessarily faster. I ram a 10 miler today and just after the 1st km I seriously considered dropping out because I couldn't imagine getting round, but I did and I did a good time too. TRy to shut out other people. I run my own race, so many people over took me today I was scared to look round, I was convinced I was last, but of course I wasn't. My husband on the other hand who has just started running feels completely pressured by other races and always goes out too fast. When I joined a running club I was always last and felt so huniliated, but I am one of the only ones of them that have run a marathon, but every day when I go out, I think "There is no way I will be able to run a marathon (or any other distance) in xxxxx weeks. You will get better, I promise you but try to not think negatively (says she who is always doing that). Also, remember that your brain is very clever and if you are running 5km for example, it will convince you that you can't run any further than that and you will struggle before you get to the end, but as your distances go up, you will find that you can do a bit more, but once again your brain will tell you you can't run another step, you have to start arguing with your brain and telling it YOU are in charge and actually you can run further and faster.

• just seen all my typos, sorry, I am literate really!

• I came to enjoy my long runs, if you're really struggling on a long slow run, you're either going too long or not running slowly enough. Now the weather's getting better (snigger, okay, it will one day) give yourself some time to get out and enjoy it, take it really slow and look around. a long slow run should be quite relaxing most of the way around, only the last bit should feel like a struggle if you're going further than you've been used to.

Short version, eventually you'll struggle less and enjoy it.

• Gillian I have been running for 25+ years and I can tell you I probably only have 1 run per week when I really enjoy it. It will rarely be easy because as you get fitter you will set new goals. But every now and again you set out on a run and you feel this is good and you feel you could run all day, what has been described as runners high.

So keep going as it will get easier and remeber the ethos behind jogscotland is to get you out running / walking no matter your size, age, shape and most importantly speed.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    If you was to go back to your first week of training and do it again you'd more than likely find it quite easy or certainly easier.

You're still building a base to your fitness. As you keep improving, it's important to remember that it's not sustainable to run further and quicker with every single run.

There's been 100s of times where I've not wanted to do a session or run knowing that its going to hurt. I'd even go as far as saying that pretty much every race I've done there has been a point where I've thought of quitting.

It's a battle in the mind and when it's over the sense of satisfaction of finishing and doing well that makes me want to do it again and again.
  • It should be enyoyable! I suspect ypu are doing all your runs "hard"- too fast or too far. Do a few easy ones too- you should be enjoying the signs of spring as you are out,- and the company if you run with someone, or the peace and quiet if you run alone.

Don't pressurise your self so much that you hate it, cos you'll never keep it going.

•  

roball wrote (see)

Gillian I have been running for 25+ years and I can tell you I probably only have 1 run per week when I really enjoy it. It will rarely be easy because as you get fitter you will set new goals. But every now and again you set out on a run and you feel this is good and you feel you could run all day, what has been described as runners high.

So keep going as it will get easier and remeber the ethos behind jogscotland is to get you out running / walking no matter your size, age, shape and most importantly speed.

I agree with roball. As part of your training you are going out to try to run farther / longer / faster. So it's all push, push, push. If you could go out without a watch or an app or whatever you are using to train or monitor your progress you could just enjoy it.

• I had a great week last week. after thinking it was never going to get easier (4 months in) , I just ran and ran and felt comfortable and at ease. I thought "Ah THIS is it!" The next day I went out and got totally out of breath within 10 minutes! It seems that sometimes you seem to go backward in fitness before moving forward. I just try to enjoy it but don't beat myself up if I don't hit a target I've set myself. The temperature really seems to be my nemesis, cold air... urgh

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭
    I've been running around 10/11 months. Ran 947km and some days are still bloody hard work.

But, it has become more fun over time the first 4-6 weeks are the worse I thinkimage
  • YKWYKW ✭✭✭

Hi Gillian,

I am in a similar situation to you - started around the same time and having the same crisis of confidence. I have tried to step back a bit and just repeating some of the earlier runs again rather than constant push/push/push - which has helped build confidence and make me realise how far I have come along.