Starting again from the beginning!

Comments

• I have tried Lucozade carb gels a few years back. The orange flavour one. Very sweet and quick sickly but did go down easily.

Finally got out today well after 4pm. It meant running the last 3 miles in darkness with no head torch but so glad I went. 12.59 miles @ 10:34 so spot on for my long slow run pace. Recovery run tomorrow morning with another easy 3 in the evening if all goes to plan.

Feb - 21.22

2014 - 121.61

• Hi I am 33 and 6ft 2" & 16stone, after a lot of torment from my friends about how much weight I've  put on I have decided to run the liverpool half marathon. 2years ago I did a 10k in 56mins and last year the snowdonia half marathon in 2hrs and 4mins the training I did prior to the races was poor, the 10k I did around 5runs and the snowdonia 1 8runs. I am trying to train as much as I can for the first time ever, by doing so I ran 15 days out of 30  last month. My pace has come down from 10.30 to 8.40 in that space. I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips or advice on how to improve as I would like to get under 2hrs.

• Welcome Noodles! First off, well done for getting back into it! image Your pace sounds pretty good from here, by the sounds of it I would just stick to your training. If you managed such a good time for Snowdonia on poor training then just doing what you are doing will do wonders! Be just as good with your resting as you are with your training, making it to the start line is your first mission. image

I cant give you too much speed advice myself as im more of a tortoise, endurance is my bag image If you need help with going long, fueling on the go, kit and general mind games just give me a yell image 

• 330, good idea, i dont know but i will take a look and see if i can get the same!

Well done on your long run JR!

Hi Noodles. Your pace sounds great already, if you can keep that up over longer races you'll def get under the 2 hours!

B2B what hydration bag do you have? Mine is a cheapy from Lidl, and i already had a bladder from when i climbed Ben Nevis a few years ago, but i noticed your's has bottles on the front and would like to try something similar. Also where did you buy it from?

• Lisa - Its the AK vest by Ultimate Direction (click here) its really small, if you want something that can take a little more gear then maybe head for the SJ instead image

The AK can still stretch to 4ltr and I have found it fantastic so far, had it for nearly a year now. I love using the up front bottles. So much easier and cleaner than a bladder and a hell of a lot less faff. Aid stations are a breeze as you dont have to take it off. It also means the weight distribution is pretty good. 

• Getting back into the swing of things - 3 miles (5k) at 9:46 a mile twice last week.  I'm aiming for 9:30 a mile and want to push my distances back up to around 7 miles - that's where I lost and maintained my weight last time.

Cannot quite believe how much I hurt after Friday's run though !!  Luckily I had two rest days planned in as there was no football, no karting and the wife made bacon sarnies on Sunday . . .  image

• A warm welcome Noodles. I will leave the advice to those more experienced than myself but you seem to be doing very well. Just remember to rest.

Nice work BenjysDad.

Glad you managed to finally get out JR.

Got out today after 2 rest days this weekend. 2.8 miles in steady 10:30 m/m. Wed and Thursday look very busy for me this week. May struggle to get out. If I do it will be late.

Feb - 10.7

2014 - 26.7 image

• Oh yeah and The Wolf of Wall Street is very good (and long).

Plenty of drug taking and sex and bad language if that's your thing but a good story to boot.

Trying to think of my worst film ever........

• Worst film ever is easy - Double Agent 73 staring Chesty Morgan.

• Some good reading here folks regarding the best part of training....resting! (im looking at you Grendel image )

http://www.run247.com/articles/article-4635-rest-and-grow-stronger.html

• Hi FatNoodles, as the others say your pace is great already. I would just carry on with what you’re doing. Running every other day is good as you’re giving your body a rest between your runs. You could google an 8 week training plan if you want something to follow as there are plenty out there. Good luck and why not ask one of your friends to run it with you? It’ll either shut them up or you’ll have gained yourself a running buddy.

Well done BenjysDad, just add one more run (3 per week) and that will help massively. In order to improve (and stop hurting) you need to be running three times a week. You will be hitting that 9:30 mile in no time.

Keep at it Beachball, consistency is key. Good to see so many of us posting (and running).

The wife went early this morning so I’m out later tonight.

• Hi to everyone and thank for the responses, I am running with some friends at the marathon and I would like to beat a certain person but am not sure am fit enough,as he is aiming for 1.45 but am not sure I can do it Just based on what I am doing. My wife is helping me eat a better diet of good foods(some lapses) but dnt her lol. As I work long hours and have a new born I run late at night, not easy after a day at work but I really want to beat him!! I would be grateful if anyone would give me some tips on possible speed work if it would benefit me? If I could lose weight that will also make me faster but that is a lot easier saying than actually doing.... I also dnt drink when I run, I just  run is that good of bad??

• Nice easy 5k tonight. Starting to feel a bit more confident, especially after Sundays 12 which I have recovered from very well.

FatNoodles, with just 8 weks to go until the Half I wouldn't worry about speedwork too much. Maybe once a week introduce some short bursts of speed, say to a landmark. For example, pick a tree or building not toofar away and pick up the pace until you reach it. Do this half a dozen times in the middle of a run. When it comes to your longer run which you should do once a week pick the pace up over the last half mile, fast but comfortable. It'll help train your body to put it in when tired. 

Feb - 24.32

2014 - 124.71

• B2B - I am resting - currently two days off a week BUT the schedule I am following is mov ing up to one rest day on a Monday - not sure whether to leave it at 2 though, especially as I am swimming in the evening?  It is a good article - I look back to 1998 when in preperation for the 'London' I upped my mileage from 70 to 100 each week (with a further 25 miles walking)  and know looking back I blamed my bad London on dehydration - I wasn't I was completely burnt out. and it took 6 months of reduced mileage and a load of creatine tablets to recover - (did win an 11 mile cross country race at the end of that period though) - If I do run on Friday it will be very easy.

Went out this morning for my first run of the week - 6 miles which given Sunday's 20 miler was quite brisk - the legs did protest a little bit this morning towards the end but I tried to trot along at a reasonable but not fast pace - 6 miles to do tomorrow incorporating 4/5 "long" hills May. My reward this week is a 10 mile on Sunday (although schedule does say incorpoarate a 10K race) so will do 2 mile warm up and then 6 mile marathon paced tempo run two warm down.

Fatnoodles agree with JR just incorporate a littel bit of 'fartlek' during the week - as you seem to be doing OK - once you have got the half out of the way take a step back and look then to add an element of speework into your running - it generally takes about three months to benefit from the speed work (or so I understand)

Finally I bought a load of packets of dextrose glucose tablets. Happy days

• Well done Lisa, can't comment on gels etc I haven't run far enough to need anything more than a jelly baby or haribo yet image Your first marathon, you must be really excited image

Welcome Noodles you have come to the right place for fantastic support and oodles of good advice

Well done BB the miles will soon add up

B2B you need to read that article AGAIN and then LISTEN to some of it 'one day off for every 10 miles runimage'

BD - Take it nice and steady and you will get the miles in without injury

JR nice running you have already run three times as far as me and it's only Feb

330 - Good luck on your road to St James Park

Grendel - What does creatine do? sounds interesting, glad your taking some extra rest days you deserve them. How's the extra Protein going?

Hope I haven't forgotten anyone? If I have sorry

I am going out tonight with B2B for our usual Tuesday night splash through the woods or similar, I have been taking a few extra rest days myself as I was getting an increasing amount of pain in one calf, but the rest seems to of done it good and have been eating some extra protein & fats. Did a nice 6k Sunday with no pain so hopefully on the mend

Feb - 3.72

2014 - 43.40

• Creatine is a muscle builder - a sort of protein - I took it for 6 months out of desperation 16 years ago -

The extra protein is helping I think, BUT maybe it it the rest days that are proving more beneficial -

• Thanks Grendel I will have to have a look at that, Not sure that I want bulging muscles but extra energy or endurance would be just fine in my book.

This afternoon I am going to try and make some healthy energy bars to see if they will be any good as running fuel as I can't use gels etc. think I will try one out on B2B later.........so watch this space for results

• Grendel - I would keep the 2 days of rest, the rest is far better than any tablet. You will be super speedy for the marathon! image You have put in a lot of training already, the ground work is there, relax and trust in the rest day image

Mummysaurus - 1 day for 10 miles...ive had more than 4.5 days now! imageimage

Just finished a great book ill post a blog link once Mummysaurus has proofreadeded itimage

• Mummysaurus I'm having problems with my calf too since Sundays run. I was hoping to go out tonight but I am being sensible and resting it, as I have a 10k round Gravesend Cyclopark again on Thursday (part of their winter series). Fingers crossed it will be ok and rested by then.

Thanks for the race vest link B2b.

• I get tight calves. Try this for size, most people only do one stretch for their calves.

Calf stretches

• Hi everyone again thanks for responses. can anyone recommend decent running jackets and gels Plz?

• B2b after much research and umm-ing and ahh-ing I will probably buy the same vest. Just before I def decide on the AK and not the SJ, looking at The Wall's kit list, from your opinion will it fit..

Basic First Aid Kit containing at least:
    - a triangular or conformable roller bandage,
    - assorted adhesive dressings including one of approximately100mm x 100mm
    - separate sterile absorbent material (eg gauze or gauze bandage)

Spare Food minimum of 100kcals of nutrition to be carried at all times

• Full windproof/showerproof body cover
    • Survival bag or blanket

Optional -

Additional upper body thermal layer

• Waterproof layers
    • Sunscreen (hopefully)
    • Sunglasses
    • Blister treatment kit

Thanks JR, I might try some of those before my next runs.

Fat Noodles, only just started trying the gels, so will let you know as and when...

• Lisa is the Gravesend cycle track where the Kent Marathon takes place.

• Yeah, but this is only 4 laps, don't think I could mentally handle 17!

• Its only 16 full laps though and a shorter lap!!!

• Wow this thread moves fast !!

Fat Noddles - welcome to the madhouse !! coming down from 10.30 to 8.40 pace is some achievement and one I would like to make myself. I have a Karimoor jacket got it in sports direct normally over 30 quid got it for 6 !! Its shower proof but anything heavier not much good but it does the job for me. Good luck for the half and your target of 1.45

JR - Your going well well done on the 12

Grendel - reading you posts and training your gonna smash that marathon !!

B2B -Good book review might get a copy of that

Mummy - how the home made energy bars go ?

Lisa - are you planning an Ultra ?

After my 10 Sat rested Sunday and felt really out of sorts Monday so no  run. Consious of my target for month was out tonight for 6.42, didn't feel as smooth as Saturday,  legs tired, breathing heavy must look at my fuelling and eating habits during the day. Have started taking those fizzy Barocca tablets in water, they seem to have loads of vitamins. Just think that I should be feeling a lot fitter than I did tonight, even now calves, muscles at back of thighs (what are they called cant mind just now) still aching as if they need a good stretch

Thinking of getting a good multi vit aimed at over 50's but want a good make any recommendations ? Any one else take supplemets they can recommend. Not after any freaky wonder vit just something that may assist in energy / general health am thinking of the protein powders and been recommended this one

http://monstersupplements.com/store/p/5934/1/

• Lisa - yes but it takes a lot of practice to get it all in the bag! Top tip - grab a 5ltr dry bag from sports direct (click here) as you have no waterproofing image practice packing and unpacking your kit and get used to what you can get rid of. I carried way to much stuff on my first ultra. Look for kit that doubles up, for example dont bother packing a hat with a peak, a beanie hat and sunglasses. Get 1 hat with a peak and leave the rest out. if you are doing it in one hit then take the silver blanket.

(This bit can help you too Noodles) Jackets, head for lightweight, waterproof and breathable. The main feature being that it packs down really well. Something like the Montane Atomic (click here) its a little pricey but you will thank those pennies when the wind cuts across you image

As for the rest of the gear, tape or Vaseline your toes. Minimize all packaging, for example if you are taking pain killers you can only take 1 every 4 hours so you will only need 3 or 4 (round the corners of the packet off to stop the getting caught inside pockets image ) no point carrying 24 tablets with you if you cant take them!

Vaseline/lube can be made smaller by putting it in a food bag, saving space and weight. Loo roll can be made smaller by taping the end to a cocktail stick (with the ends made blunt) then rolling you own roll, wrap with cling film and put it in a food bag. My blister treatment kit is pretty simple (and maybe gross) a safety pin! Keep this pinned to the outside of your bag for easy access.

If you really want a no holds barred kit for those "oh crap" moments, you only need 2 things.

Micropore tape and super glue. If you are ever in a situation bad enough that either of these cant fix it, you need a hospital!

I think looking back I would suggest going for the slightly larger SJ vest and pay the extra pennies. The AK is a fantastic bit of kit but I depends on how far you want to go. Its done me pretty well so far but im not sure it is going to be big enough for the mandatory kit of the TP100

I could go on and on about kit but I shall stop for the moment because gels were mentioned.

I have used gels a lot in the past. They are great for a short term boost but the crash is not a great one. I tried loads of different brands but still kept getting the same crash. This is pretty much due to them being stuffed full of sugar. They have loads of clever sciency names for it but its sugar.

Try real food, something like dried fruit or a hand full of peanuts. A fraction of the price and your body will know what to do with it! Gels only last for a very short time and cost loads by comparison. There is a term for this way of fuelling its called, the sugar train.

Once you are on the sugar train it is really hard to get off. Sugar burns fast, quick boost in the system then its gone and you grind to a halt. More fuel is needed for the fire as it is now burning so low, you throw in another bunch of sugar, same thing. So how do you avoid the sugar train?

Head for things that burn slower, like fats. Im not talking about swallowing down cheeseburgers (although...mmm cheeseburgers), head for things like nuts, seeds, dried fruit, chia, home made things, real food!

The other reason for avoiding the sugar train is the bloating, the discomfort and GI issues that go hand in hand with the sugar. 

Stay off the sugar train for as long as you can and I promise you will have a much nicer run! image

• 330 - please for the love of all that is good in the world don't buy that crap! I can give you a much cheaper way of getting everything in that Godforsaken box!

Are you ready?

Whole milk.

Just eat a nice balanced diet of meat, fish, eggs, cheese, fresh fruit and veg and everything you need is there.

The problem with taking vitamins is that they overload you system with one type of vitamin that makes your body flush out another one to achieve balance.

Do it with food. Need Vit C? Eat Kale 183% of you RDA and it tastes great!

Protein? 25g of the stuff in a little tin of tuna!! Go tuna!

How many times has this happened to someone you know?

Doctor I feel sleepy all the time, "take these iron tablets"

Next month, Doctor I feel sick all the time

"ah, that will be the iron tablets" image thanks Doc!

Just get back to the time tested fact that we are born to eat food.

PHEW! Sorry rant over image

• B2B - I must admit I am sceptical in buying it really as its expensive and seems really more for bodybuilders

I don't and have never eaten vegetables - eat them in soup or casserole but never just say - carrots and peas with meal - cant face veggies that way never have !!

Diet crap during day, I work from home so just raid fridge, so today had porridge for breakfast, hour or so later toast, cheese on toast at lunch and that was it until tonight - lasagne, chips then hot X bun !

I also must drink more plain water during the day, or squash.

Your advice is good. I suppose  I am looking for a "take this pill all will be ok" answer but I guess the answer is - if you want the machine to work well, put good fuel into said machine !!