Starting again from the beginning!

Comments

• 330 - spot on! And not just any old fuel. If you want your car to run well you wouldn't chuck any thing you could find into it because it would break down. "clean" food is the same idea, eat clean and everything will run a lot smoother.

Im reading into no sugar, no grain at the moment. For a while now I have been actively reducing my sugar and grain while upping my good fatty food. Apart from loving it, I have lost nearly half a stone!! I was just over 10 to begin with and yes I did do an ultra but my weight doesn't move much normally. Im really interested to see what happens the more sugar and grain I cut out, might even see some abs soon!!!! image

I think the point im trying to make is unfortunately that one magic pill doesn't exist, the good news is if you can find a balance with food then the pill will never be needed image

Not liking veggies does make it a lot harder, we started hiding veg into other dishes! When I used to have pasta bake a lot we used to grate carrot and courgette into the tomato sauce so it just sort of melts away. You get all the good stuff without directly eating the carrot! image I don't really have too much of an issue with veg now and I have actually found my taste has gone mad now that everything isn't masked by sugar and grain image Butter, salt and pepper tender stem broccoli is amazing! image

• All good stuff there B2B -

330 - I'm not looking to storm the marathon, just get round - after Sundays 20 I felt I could have plodded on - after that it is 5Ks and 5 milers all the way!!! and of course rest days!  This week is a lower mileage week, as the schedule says do a 10K - but can't find one locally so will do a fartlek type session I think -

Thanks to Grendel3 Junior am struggling with a sore throat type cold but managed to get out this morning and do 6 times 'long hills'  Not sure what constitutes a long hill but the only hill I have is 250 metres or so (which is why I did two more than the schedule said) - but that was enough this morning to be honest.  Like I said yesterday the schedule has moved on now to 6 days but have decided to keep with the two rest days.  Looking back to my first marathon I was only running 5 days and I did ok there so Learn from other mistakes eh?

Happy Days

• B2B I may well have a look at that book as I figure lugging 171 pounds of weight around 6 mile runs is a lot harder than the 154 pounds I want to be at. So 17 pounds to loose !! I actually lost weight but put 5lb back on over xmas, wasn't running as much so put it down to that - ran 113 miles in Jan  - lost 2lb !! Have started the bad habbit of snacking in the evening - and bad snacks at that - biscuits, chocolate bars - that needs to go !!

Grendel - think you will surprise yourself with a good marathon time. As you know I have a London place for next April, at the moment I cant see me having the enthusiasm to travel to London knowing I will be looking at over a 4.30 marathon to be honest (what with cost of accommodation, fares etc etc). For now am content to bash in the miles, then maybe think about getting faster later in the year - want to do London but want to be around 4 hours Max

• Nice one Grendel, stick to your guns and keep the 2 days rest image

330 - If you can reduce the sugar and grain from your diet you will see the weight fly off! I found it really hard to start with as I absolutely LOVE bread and pasta but it has made such a difference to my bloating and energy levels.

My typical breakfast during the week is a fat coffee (now with peanut butter as well YUM!) and at the weekend bacon and eggs cooked in kerrygold butter with a fat coffee. It was tough to stop having it with toast but to be honest I now dont really miss it. I do love to have pancakes so I am going to look into getting some almond flour so I can cut out more grain but still get the good stuff image

Lunch at work is scrambled eggs in the microwave (not ideal) with chia but im working on more interesting NSNG stuff to bring with me. I find lunch at work the toughest as its so easy to eat biscuits and sandwiches. I think the key is to bring my own stuff and stop being lazy image 

Eating out can still be great, you can still eat most of the stuff you would normally get but just tweak things a little. For example you could still get burger and chips just dont eat the bun and dont smother it in loads of ketchup! So you are eating beef (hopefully!) and potatoes with a little bit of salad. 

• Forgot to add my miles from last night image

Very clunky, clicky run with mummysaurus last night. It was the first run after the thames trot, tough going but everything still seems attached, ill call that one a win!

2014 - 72.1

• Some really interesting stuff going on here....good reading.

Lisa - Hope the calf doesn't give you too much trouble - The vest suggestions from B2B are all good I have seen how much he gets into his, the only comment I would make and *Fellas close your ears for a moment please* these blokes are rather flat chested and we aren't if you get my drift, so when they strap on the vest and have 2 big bottles of water on the front everything feels ok but that isn't always the same for us ladies those bottles tend to beat the hell out of the extra padding on the front, or try to disappear under your arms,  just something you might want to keep in mind and maybe have a look at what other ladies are wearing....

JR thanks for the link those exercises look good I will have a try

Noodles - I have the Montane Marathon Jacket it's really light and packs down to a really small size, the only thing it doesn't have is a hood so if you don't mind getting wet or wearing a peaked hat it's a brilliant bit of kit.

330 - Time for me to play Mummy............eat your bloody vegetables image you could try blitzing them up and putting them in sauces for meatballs or mince etc, roasted veg are really yummy or how about making vegetable oven chips with anything but spuds, soups are also good for getting the veg in or swap chips for jacket spuds, Eat fruit rather than biscuits or make healthy energy bars with real ingredients........gosh I am going to have to borrow B2B's soap box if I go on any longer. The one thing B2B is really right about and I am living proof......get rid of the sugar and you will see the weight drop no without a doubt

B2B - Thank you for an amazing run last night really enjoyed doing the speed bits even if they were through muddy puddles, felt like a big kid well a short big kid image had to take my sandals and socks into the shower with me.

Energy bar update............They were yummy and worked really well will be making them again just maybe with slightly less Chia seeds next time.

• Good advise re the eating B2B and Mummy

I have never eaten veggies - all stems from school (about48 years ago!) when the dinner ladies made you eat everything - I hated veggies and still do. I will have them in soups though or casseroles (but not bloody peas !!!) pasta sauces etc

Interesting about cutting out Sugar - how do you do that its in everything !! Don't have sugar in drinks ie tea, but do have squash sometimes, oh and sugar on porridge !!

• Some good reading on the thread.

330oB , I see you have a typical Norn Ireland/Scottish diet like myself image  I could not spell fruit or vegetable never mind eat one until a few years ago . Forced to enjoy by arrival  little DS. 'Yes little DS. Of course daddy loves his fruit and veg . yum yum image '

Back out running every other night now and have sorted out my dodgy ankle problem I think. Was looking at the wear on my trainers and it is right on the outside of the forefoot on both feet. I wear support trainers (gait analysis done without any insoles) and also on advice of physio (he never asked about what type of trainers I wore) put in insoles to deal with over pronation. This seems to have caused me to be almost over supported and feels like I have been running on the outside of my feet.

So back and at it again slowly building mileage. Am a happy boy again image

• 330 - yeah cutting out grain is just as hard! Check some stuff that's in your cupboards right now and try and see if you have anything without sugar or grain...its tough to begin with. Natural sugar is fine (when kept balance) so you can substitute processed sugar for honey or maple syrup. Grain is hidden away in everything to make it cheaper and bulk things out. I read labels now and think "does that really have to be in there?" prime example, peanut butter. What would you like to find inside? Peanuts right? Take a look around the different brands the next time you are shopping, most of them I wouldn't want to clean the toilet with! I don't mind paying an extra 50p for peanuts in my peanut butter, you can keep the chemicals

Skippy peanut butter....

http://www.naturallymore.com/images/NaturallyMore_nutrition.jpg

Why the hell are there egg whites in here?! image

Whole earth....

/members/images/673252/Gallery/pn.JPG

96% peanuts! Winner image

• That is interesting B2B !!

No run for me due to weather of biblical proportion at my run time. No run now since Tuesday.

The next few days I believe will be very important, I simply need to get out and get the miles in. if I don't hit my target of 112 miles or get near I know I will drop of, lets hope tomorrow sees better weather. I don't mind if it rains when I am out but heading out the door into torrential rain is no fun.

I walked to the shops at lunch got completely drowned

• 330 yes I am insanely signed up for the Rat Race The Wall!

B2B thanks for the advice.

Mummysaurus I don't have to worry about that, I am not blessed with big boobs image lol!

Suppose to have Gravesend Cyclopark tonight but I appear to have come down with tonsillitis again, don't think I properly got rid of it from last week so I am caving in and going to get antibiotics from the doc. Might defer tonights run to next months.

• Hopefully the weather allows you to get out today 330 - but just because you miss a target or a few days doesn't mean you need to drop off - Also you have 14 months now to London so you as yu have the target you need to get your self into a postion to be able to train for it.

Cocked up the schedul today went out and did a 6 checked afterwards and should have doen a 4!!!  BUT tomorrow is a 6 but I am going to have that rest day - and you know what I actually find that I am lookng forwards to the rest days and going back to sleep!!!!

Glad you are getting back out DS hopefully the ankles etc hold up - I suppose the only thing to say is take it easy and don't get to carried away!!!

Lisa I think it is very easy to return from illness to soon - especially as you start to feel better - I am sure I read somwhere that when you do feel better you should take an extra couple of days off to get the virus or whatever out of the system.

Haven't heard from JR for a few days - if you read this I hope you are not to effected by the floods.

• Enjoy them rest days Grendel , have been doing a lot of reading recently and rest days are important as it gives your muscles time to recover. The getting carried away thing is my biggest problem so will be running every other day for 3 weeks then 4th week will be dropping my milesage down for a week with a few extra rest days then start again by upping it slightly.  Looking at my previous running patterns this seems to work best for me by making most progress and more importantly staying injury free.

Happy running everyone image

• Thanks Grendel

I am just so frustrated with this weather !! every single day rain rain rain

My problems is I seem to go on good streaks like last month then something happens to stop me - in this case the weather ! I hate having to take days off because of it. Last month was my best for years and so want to keep that going. Really looking forward to the better weather and our week of summer we get in Scotland !!!!

• Doc said its a virus so just need to ride it out, so have deferred tonights run and am going to rest image. Least its half term next week so i have a week away from the germs to get myself fit and strong again!

• Does anyone have an idea on how to sort a groin problem out? It tends to go usually when I start running but took 5wks this time I've left for a wks and have done two runs nothing far just 4 and 2.5 mile runs,my time was very quick,quicker than I have every thought but still get a niggle am going to rest now for a few days but just wondered if anyone has any ideas to help me plz?

• ah nice spin class this lunch time to stretch out the ol leggies image

Lisa - oh that sucks, enjoy the rest and come back fighting! image

Noodles - You could try seeing a physio then getting some massages done? Most problems come down to 2 things, overuse or form. Unfortunately its hard to help too much without being able to see how you run.

• Whenever I run as in footie training it use to go early on but after a few wks it would repair and wouldn't have a problem but it just goes when I lst start. Very weird.

• hmm maybe something to do with over striding which is putting excessive strain on the groin but im no expertimage You could try shortening your stride on your next run and letting us know how you got on. Nice quick steps, not faster, shorter. Try and get in as many feet as you can.

Try standing on the spot and jog to music with a really high beat per minute. something like drum and bass as it is way up in the 160-180bpm.

Listen to the beat and left, right, left, right and feel the difference in the speed of your feet. If you are used to this kind of cadence it may feel really strange.

Try it out on the road image

• Noodles , have you tried a foam roller ?
  • Things moving fast on here again...

Busy week but managed to get out for a run tonight.

2.8 chilly miles. Hopefully manage to get out again Sunday for my 3 runs this week.

Hope everyone is well.

Feb - 13.4

2014 - 29.4

• Didn't bow to the pressure of the schedule and took today as a rest day.

• Cheers b2b I did change my running stance before but sometimes like you say I do over stride which is what has to be the problem, lazy running I suppose... Drunken sailor I do have a foam roller but not sure how to use it?? Still in its wrapper and is my wife's.

• Lisa feel better soon

BB doing well good luck for getting out Sunday

330 Planning your summer holiday must be a bit difficult if you only get one week to choose from image I know what you mean though feels like it's been raining forever

Noodles - groin strain is normally from things like playing footie when you move sideways and change direction suddenly and as B2B said your running form may be off a bit, you may need to see a physio to prevent a full tear I am not sure which bit you would foam roller to help that area.....

Grendel glad your taking your rest days

DS sounds like a good plan, I have also been guilty of getting a bit over excited and running too often or too far for my own good, have made some changes to my 3 runs a week and added some extra cross training in and I too am hoping this will keep me injury free

B2B glad you enjoyed your spin class, I did 10.33k on the bike last night just to keep the legs moving but would much rather a spin bike if I can find one with a nicer seat 'ouch'

I am hoping to get to the gym for a quick lunchtime run, if I can get out of work on time.

• Apologies for the following long post!

Hi everyone, not been able to log on for a few days so will catch up now. Not affected by the floods like some although my daily commute has been interesting with a flooded lane to tackle to and from work. Got a sh*tty cold too which is annoying the hell out of me early in the mornings.

5.57 miles today along a very wet, windy and muddy canal tow path. Very pleased as I took it very easy and ran every mile well under 10mm. Two weeks running I have missed my Wednesday run now so next week need to focus and get my arse out the door early. I have a 14 mile ‘long slow run’ planned this weekend and as long as this cold doesn’t go onto my chest I will be doing it tomorrow afternoon or Sunday.

Grendel, am I right in remembering you used to take those dextrose glucose tablets before? Good luck with the creatine. I have no experience of such things. I too am suffering with a sore throat type cold and have felt like sh*te every morning this week. I missed Wednesdays run and went to bed a little earlier but it has still got worse during the week. As you’re looking to ‘get round’ your mara I think you’ve done the right thing keeping the extra rest day.

MS, Grendel runs 3 times as far as me each year so don’t worry about the miles, just keep going. Extra protein! Something I’m trying to get into a habit of myself, I have always lacked in my intake.

• Looks like you’re going to be well organised for The Wall Lisa. I didn’t think I had the mental capacity for a multi lap event but I did manage a near 10 mile run in the pitch black around a 1.3 mile circuit much easier than I anticipated recently so maybe we can handle more than we think. My wife works in a school too and has a cold herself. We also have three young children to pass germs on to us at regular intervals so can sympathise with you.

330, sometimes you just have to put a run down as a bad one. So many things could have been the reason. It’s the time of year for bugs and even if you are just a little under the weather it can make your joints and muscles ache big time. The weather, tiredness, your muscles recovering from your last run. Don’t panic, and don’t worry too much about your target. If you miss a run, forget it. Don’t be tempted to catch up, you have plenty of miles and time to run between now and your targets. You’re spot on about the one tablet fix, we’d all like that but it’s well worth looking into getting the right fuel on board. My wife does not help when it comes to snacking in the evenings, she does not encourage me. Every time I open the fridge there is a bag of giant chocolate buttons or a bag of doritos in the cupboard. 

• B2B, +1 for Vaseline on your feet. And other places too, it’s fantastic stuff. Much cheaper than things such as Glide (which doesn’t last long) but Vaseline will affect and damage your clothing over time. Superglue is fantastic for little cuts. Don’t think I’d be taking gels for anything over a half marathon, I have been a victim of the sugar crash myself recently. Not in running but been looking after my diet a little better recently and when I fell off the wagon for a few days I really felt the effects of eating sugary crap. Have to say though that as much as I like lots of different fish, I hate tuna! A balanced diet, and it’s not as difficult or as expensive as people think, is key to being healthy. No professional athlete or sportsman (or woman) would neglect nutrition, without it their training is worthless.

However, you can keep the NO SUGAR for now I’m afraid. I sit here enjoying a coffee with two sugars as I type. One thing at a time!.....and a burger without the bun? Or sauce? Hmmm….if it meant a sub 3 marathon I could probably give it a go but I enjoy my food and life is too short!

• Hi DS, if you’re wearing special insoles you shouldn’t wear anything other than neutral shoes. The insoles, like orthotics do the support. Anything extra and you are just overcompensating. Do you have a running shop near you? They are always up for a chat and even if you’re not buying anything any decent place will offer advice. The ‘easy’ week every fourth week really does work. Allow those muscles time to recover and develop, long term it’s a winner.

Fat Noodles, do you stretch? Maybe you’re going a little too fast? Are all your runs at the same pace? (run easy at least 50% of the time). Your best bet is to try one thing at a time (reduce pace or stretch post run) or see a physio. Overuse most likely cause as B2B says. +1 for the foam roller although I’ve no idea how you use one on your groin?

Well done on getting out Beachball. This thread sure moves fast doesn’t it. Think I’ve typed a bloody essay trying to catch up with everyone but it really motivates me to get out there when everyone else is doing so. 

Feb - 29.89

2014 - 130.28

• I dnt stretch often as I am lazy, I do try and vary my runs in terms of speed, but most days try and beat previous times if I can, understand about having slow days but sometimes I dnt think I am doing enough so push.

• Ok - I've been awake since 5 and can't get back to sleep. Looking to do my first run in nearly three months when the sun is up.

Hopefully won't suffer too much discomfort in my neck where I had the discectomy at the beginning of December. I'm guessing I'll also be struggling to run anyway after so long off.

Wish me luck.