Starting again from the beginning!

Comments

• FatNoodles, I understand you want to beat your times (we all do) but it is important to build a base level of fitness. Grendel is a very good example of this spending last year just building the miles before focusing on more speed this year. If you try and set a pb every run you are heading for all sorts of problems. Injuries will be just around the corner and even if you do stay fit you cannot continue to set pb's all the time (if you do remember us at the next Olympics) and you could just end up frustrated and in a rut. Entering an event, maybe with a target time will give you something to aim for, maybe look up your nearest parkrun?. Training runs are just that, to prepare you for something in the future. You seem to be keen to improve but varying your training will have much more impact than running fast all the time. If you are running 4 times a week for instance try this....Day 1 Easy/Recovery run (1-2 minutes per mile slower than race pace) Day 2 - Throw in some fartlek, Day 3 - Easy. Day 4 - A little longer, a little slower (1-2 minutes slower than race pace) and maybe pick the pace up over the last half mile (fast but comfortable). Once you have entered an event and have a time for a distance go here and find your ideal training paces. http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/ 

Ed68.....where are earth do you live? Waiting for the sun? Good luck with your return, don't be afraid to add a few walks to ease yourself back into it. I have used them many times and you can drop them gradually over time. Will certainly help you keep any injuries at bay.

• Cheers JR. Ha ha - by sun I meant a bit of light as don't want my first run to be in the dark. 

I had a new watch to try out and happy to do 3 miles at 9.28 pace. I never knew my cadence so 168 average seems pretty good. The wind and rain were bad but I felt great. Bloody knackered now though - legs are aching but neck/shoulder is fine.

• Just realized it was a groin injury , er yes the foam roller would be a tad awkward to get in there. image  

Managed to get out yesterday in torrential rain and wind. It was a tough 3 miles but as I have said before I seem to love it more when its tough. Maybe i should look at doing a tough mudder ? image

Starting to feel stronger and stronger again with nothing really bothering me today which is the first in a while. 

That me over 50 miles for the year image 

• Thanks for that just run, I understand what you are saying and will change my routine as I think I should start properly and change my running format ie smaller strides etc and forget my time and just clock the miles up steadily.

• Well done Ed68 and DS, feels great getting out for a run in this weather doesn't it. Gives an extra bit of satisfaction. 

FatNoodles, just make sure a couple of times a week you go a little easier, enjoy a run just for what it is. No harm in letting yourself go when you're feeling good but don't put too much pressure on constantly beating your last time. 

No run for me this weekend by the looks of it. I am feeling bloody terrible today. Cold has gone onto my chest and first thing in the morning i'm really struggling. Been feeling better as the day goes on this week but today don't seem to be fighting back. 

• Well I went out for a 5 mile run today, felt like a terrible run. Just couldn't seem to get going. So just went with it in the end and plodded..at least I got out. Maybe I'm not fully recovered, I don't know but I hope I get my bounce back soon.

Carnage everywhere today though, leaves everywhere, branches and trees down, roads closed or police blocking roads off. Made for an interesting run I suppose!?

• Lisa, I think once you can get back into regular running it'll all come back. 

• Lisa , a virus can effect you for quite a while and will probably take you a while to regain your strength . It will come back .

FN- I agree with JR on the time thing. Forget it is my advice and just worry about how long you spend running and don't worry about the pace. Its a road to injury and expensive physio bills if you keep running every run the same pace or getting faster. Pace will come eventually. 

JR- I had my gait done then physio said my arches were low so he suggested insoles. So just went along with it. So basically had gait done without the insoles. Lesson learned , if you get a gait analysis done get it done with different insoles if you want them. I think the physio should have known to be honest and I just went along with it.  All seems to be good now though .

One thing I now do also is alternate trainers which also seems to be helping loads . 

• 16 miles, over half a minute quicker than last weeks average, (although I ran further last week)  No drink on board because at the last minute chose to run an out and back course, over dressed as once the sun came up it was quite warm. will either need to get a bottle and a belt, or remember to carry money to stop off and buy. However clean a puddle looks, it still tastes pretty foul.  image

Happy days 

• Just run,I have done a 4.30miles at a slower stride and not clocked watched at all,in fact covered the watch up until I got home, I didn't push it just a nice slow run and found it better but harder in some parts. With days like this when the sun is shinning I do understand why so many ppl run. Have only ran 3 times in nearly 2 wks due to pulling my groin on a 7mile run 2 wks ago And want to push to get bk there but as I have read many articles and forums, when injured and recovering just like a long run at the beginning it's hard but when u have crossed the finishing line it's worth it (If that makes sense)

• Lisa, as grendel says give it a little time. You'll be flying again soon no doubt.

DS, I alternate my trainers and I agree, it does seem to help. 

Grendel, I know how you feel. I have tasted one too many muddy puddles lately. Very warm day here today too. Can't believe I have had to rest when the sun has finally come out!

FatNoodles, Glad you enjoyed your run. I do like to know how far i've been and how fast but have done many runs with my watch covered and resisted the temptation to look. Those runs have been some of my best.

No running for me today as yesterday evening this bug/virus thing took a real grip. Spent the entire evening coughing and spluttering, sweating like a pig and was in bed by 8:30 on a Saturday night.....image. Woke up this morning feeling bloody terrible and spent it lying in bed watching the winter olympics. Really annoyed but I am feeling a little better now so hoping to be fine for work tomorrow. Just want to get back into my normal routine and run as soon as I can. Will take the rest however and make sure i'm better before I run. 

• Hey welcome Ed68! Always good to have some new faces! image

Wow thread in full flow! Well done everyone!

Sorry to the sick folks, hope you all feel better soon!

Not posted a lot of late as im just getting back on track after the 45. Update is I think I had tendinitis in the outside of my left foot but its pretty much cleared up now. Feeling is back in pretty much all of my toes so almost time to start again...again image Hamstring is still tight but working on it.

Off to Germany tomorrow afternoon for work, back late tuesday night so still no running for me till wednesday image oh well on the upside at least I should hopefully be nice and rested.

11 weeks till Thames Path 100!! image I think I might need that sick bucket! image

• Time was 39mins so am happy with that if am honest. Does anyone go fell running?? If so is it better than road running?

• I shall be using your Thames Patth 100 for my inspiration for Halstead which is 12 weeks!!!!!  image!

• After all your training Grendel, race day will feel like a relief! image Just kick back and enjoy it! After about 6 miles into the TT50 I started to relax, it was such a nice feeling to finally be running the event you have been training for image

• FatNoodles, Fell Running is no doubt better than road running. Fells, mountains, races in the Lake District, road running just doesn't compare. It's all about the gradient with races graded depending on the gradient and distance. Navigation skills are required and lots of the longer races would require you to carry survival kit etc. 

If you are interested then read Feet In The Clouds, a quite brilliant insight into the world of fell running.

Just 20 days to go until the Grizzly and i'm off work, sick. Up at 5 this morning with a banging headache, but on the plus side have probably sweated out a pound or two. Was deciding whether to go into work or not when I fell back to sleep and awoke at 9:45. Decision made for me. Obviously no running for me again today so Wednesday will be the earliest all being well. 

• Well who would have thought you could catch the dreaded lurgy through social networking forums.

Well thanks whoever it wasimage

Didn't get out yesterday, was struggling, but managed today but it was tough. Wore an extra layer to try and sweat the B*stard out.

Another 2.8 miles in the bank though.

Hope those suffering get well soon.

Feb - 16.2

2014 - 32.2

• Just realised I have passed January's total miles in 17 days this month image

• Sorry for the lurgy if it was me? lol! I am still struggling with my running. I generally feel better now, although my throat does still hurt a little in the evenings, but I am still slow on my runs. I start my runs feeling like I should be finishing. And the first two or three miles my lower legs ache ridiculously, even though I've stretched and not raced, and I almost have to push passed it to start feeling ok and feel like I can start running 'properly'. Its starting to annoy me now as I've had this problem for a couple of weeks now. Don't know if its virus related, as I've not changed anything about my running?

Couldn't be bothered to go out yesterday, was enjoying my family time too much. So I've been out today for a nice 7miler in the sun.

Well done beachball!!

• Hi

All good running from all and sorry I haven't been about but this thread moves quickly !!

Love reading all the posts your all doing so well its infectious !!

JR - Thanks for the post re not trying to make up the miles. I had a bad week last week with only one run post weekend. I went out Saturday for 6.5 which was an uncomfortable run, I ached everywhere and if it wasn't for my bloody - mindedness would probably have jaked it in after a mile. I think maybe January caught up with me. No run yesterday as I couldn't be bothered, but out tonight see how it goes

• Well done all who have got out and hope those that are under the weather are now on the road to recovery - 

After Sundays 16 and yesterdays REST DAY, ran a very easy if slightly tired 6.20 and it looks like I am to be dragged swimming tonight - that I will take easy,  ahead of tomorrows 6 miles Fartlek - 

Happy Days

• Grendel - nice one -  looks like your training is going well for Halstead

Hmm - daughter wants a lift tonight as she getting a puppy and has to collect it - a pussle - which apparently is a cross between a Jack Russell (already got one of those) and a pug !!

• I tried sweating it out but think I made the wrong decision last Friday with my 5 miler. The run may have wiped me out and I’m off work again today feeling washed right out. Felt much better yesterday afternoon/evening yet this morning it’s like someone has parked a bus on top of my head.

As Lisa has accepted responsibility for giving us all the lurgy I think she should run our miles for usimage

I can’t believe we’ve had two days of sun here and I’ve not done anything except take pills and wipe my nose! Glad you’re getting out Lisa, I hope this thing doesn’t hang over me too much longer as the Grizzly is approaching fast. Just as well I only planned on ‘getting round’.

330, knew we were missing someone! I think infectious is the wrong word for some of us lol. I don’t think it does us any harm to take a day off sometimes. I know we put it down to ‘not being bothered’ but I think that’s being a little harsh on ourselves as we clearly can be bothered by the efforts shown this winter. A days rest is as good as a run as one or two on here have put it.

Quality running Grendel. You are making me jealous. Do you mind if I ask what pace you are doing your longer runs at? What are you doing with fuel, are you still drinking those Tesco energy drinks? Have you done any with just water and if so have you notices any difference?

Glorious sunshine here, the wife and kids are off to Escot for the day and I’m stuck indoors feeling genuinely pissed that after running in wind, rain hail and pitch black over the winter that as soon as the weather starts to show signs of improvement I cannot enjoy it. Sorry, don’t mean to dampen the mood but I’m not a good patient.

Enjoy your running.

• Lol 330, never seen one of those. 

• Now I have to admit, if your daughter asks you for one of these you'd have to be one hard bastard to say no. I, on the other hand, am extremely tight.

On the film front I watched 'Cloudy with a chance of meatballs 2' yesterday. If you are a fan of animation then this will delight you. Brilliant film.

• Hope you recover quickly JR - but don't rush back, if you feel better leave it at least another day.

JR my 20 miler last weekend was done at 11:03 mm, it was very windy that day - Sundfay was an average of 10:23 so around 30 secs faster - 

As far as hydration goes, on the 20 I did Sunday before last I did use one of the Tesco sports drinks as I went past home twice, (piece of information, Morrisons do a far greater selection and 5p cheaper)  For Sundays 16 miles, as I did an out and back I didn't take anything with me and felt, as the sun came up, pretty bad - which is why I drank from a puddle. Will take money with me to stop off at a newsagents on the way round if I do that again.  So yes I have done a run fueled only by water, although what the actual contents of the water was I wouldn't like to say!!!!!!!!!!!!  But no after effects so I guess it wasn't to bad -

• Well done everyone thats managed to get out in this lovely weather and hope all those that are sickly feel better soon.

I went out on Sunday for what should of been my LSR but as my legs were a bit tired from my speed session with B2B I thought I would wear some nice comfy squishy shoes...wont be doing that again, sore feet, numb toes and they felt like I was wearing the shoe boxes only managed 3.5 miles and decided to call it a day, I will be sticking with my Luna's come rain or shine even if I have to wear socks. Just wish they would let me wear them at the gym image

JR I really enjoyed that film and as for the puppy oooooohhhhhhh!

330 hope the puppy is enjoying it's new home

Grendel........please take water or sports drink with you, the thought of what might be in that puddle just doesn't bear thinking about image

• Grendel, I didn't think you'd actually drank from the puddle!!! I have tasted a few when splashing through them but you must have been pretty desperate?!?

I am running a similar pace to you on my long runs but so far only up to 12+ miles (12.31 miles in 2:09:59 10:34mm) and after trying a few different things including energy drinks and water (oh, and peanuts) have found my stomach prefers water as long as i'm well hydrated in the days leading up to a long one and a decent meal the night before, chicken or meat based usually but no hot curries!. I thought the peanuts had helped the week before on my previous 12 miles but after a short while they were repeating on me. I did, however, take on board the peanuts further into my run without water so that may not have helped. Carbs should be washed down with water? I hate carrying stuff on a run and the following week put a drinks bottle in the hedge at the start of my 5 mile loop. This went much better so I think I will stick to this. Will maybe try some raisins (and peanuts again but this time make sure I wash them down). I'm confident at races where there are water stations so I don't have to worry about these things. Will take that extra rest day, at the moment a walk up the stairs is tiring lol. 

• JR - You make a good point re the wind rain and hail !! we were all out in that, this year can only get easier !! after putting up with that I am not going to slack off now. And the puppy she is paying for - shes nearly 20 and her mum isn't to keen but its only a small dog, she has her heart set on it. Besides there cute !!!

Mummy - its not here yet getting it tonight.

Grendel - hope that puddle wasn't the sea !! I have a bottle belt quite good really used it a few times last year