Starting again from the beginning!

Comments

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

mine would be 16:59 never managed sub 17 in a race.

• Have never ran an official 5k race

10K PB is 46:26 back in 2003 !!! Havent done may 10ks either

• wow Grendel speedy legs! image

330 - doesn't have to be an "official" one image wow thats a great 10k time! I think my 10k is around 57 minutes? but this was just legging it down the road timing myself. I would be really happy with a 45 minute 10k 

• A few years ago back in 2000 my 5km was 19 minute some change so would like to beat that time my 10 km was my  race.  time 37mimuite some change.

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

My whole running life was about not breaking barriers, 5K was 17:07, the 10K was 35:04, HM was 75:05, official mile was 5:08,  always 0 something!!

• Jesus, you lot are machines image

My dream 5k would be sub 25mins, best was 27:32 a couple of years back. I'm not built for speed you see.

• Brad - some great times! well done!

Grendel the speed machine!

Beachball - I think most times are achievable just depends on how much training you want to put in.......that why I run far and not fast image I can take all bleedin day but it looks good on paper! image 

slow 5 mile for me tonight, just a plod around

2014 - 121.8

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

My dream time would be sub 25 for a 5k, 26:45 is my best garmin time, think i've gone a little quicker but i'd have to look back through my diaries. 

Sub 25 could lead to my dream 10k time too, sub 50. Anything 8:02mm and under would get me my times but much more consistent training is required.

• Wow some quick times! Well I didn't get time to get out yesterday but I swam tonight, then got a pb at the 10k! 53mins exact, well chuffed! Thought at one point it would be a dnf as my Achilles started playing up but I stretched it a couple of times during the run and somehow managed to get round reasonably uninjured?!

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    Brilliant time Lisa, swimming is obviously a great warm up! I have had to stop and stretch mid run before and it's amazing how quickly a little niggle can be dealt with at times.

A gentle 3 miles for me after work today. Won't be tempted to try for a pb! Just looking forward to getting back out there as I'm still on cloud 9 after Sunday. I can really begin to understand the addiction of long distance races now.
  • Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Well done Lisa, thats a good time, to run a PB after swimming is pretty impressive stuff -

Sorry JR I still can't understand the appeal of the ultra, whilst admiring the guys who do it.

B2B - you are correct in what you say about training and how much you are prepared to do, but when I was running those times, I was hanging on to guys a lot lot quicker than I ever was so many of my runs were very fast, even the 20s were not far short of 2 hours - so I think getting into a a good training group is important.

Rest day

• Lisa - wow that a speedy 10k! well done! image

JR - I am getting to the point now where I think I need to run far as much as like it. I think your choice of word "addiction" could be very true.

Grendel - I think as I have pretty much only trained on my own for so long you do run the risk of developing 1 gear. I know I can get quiet competitive over short races and even with some guys from work on the treadmill we would always end up racing. As much fun as it was, I still enjoy "going long" more. I think maybe its a pressure thing? Racing the small stuff I feel like I have to win and sometimes leaves me feeling disappointed when I dont. With the long stuff, right now I know I dont stand a hope of winning and I guess all you are left with after that is to enjoy the moment. Something about the challenge is fascinating to me! Every race I enter its never a guaranteed finish let alone time! I dont really know how to explain it right now but something changes in you once you break a marathon and just keep going. Its like running to the end of a corridor and finding a door you have never seen before, the door swings open into a massive beautiful unending field. The walls have gone, the leash is off, freedom.....

Maybe ive run too far image

• Just a quick fly in from me sorry for being missing for a while but I do have a good excuse...........I have become a Nannysaurus imageimageimage making B2B an Unclesaurusimage to a beautiful little girl.......... but we have been sworn to internet silence until all the family had been informed....Have still managed to squeeze in a couple of runs and have been trying to keep up with what you have all been up to but will need to have a proper read later........hoping to get out for a LSR later today in this lovely sunshine

• image we can finally say something!! yay!! she is very pretty and no mummy...im not having one image

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

NOw the fun starts eh?  many congratulations to you

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Congratulatuions Nannysaurus & B2B!!!!image 

Nice easy 5k (which seems to be the theme at the moment) after a very gentle warm up  in 30:10. Very pleased with that as an easy run. Legs felt full of running and looking forward to a nice slow long run on Sunday.

Was trying to persuade Mrs JR to let me enter the Exe to Axe, a 20 mile race along the coastal path finishing on Seaton seafront, just like the Grizzly. Unfortunately, the race is on Mothers day.....maybe next year. 

Mar – 36.85

2014 – 181.59

• Well done Lisa, that's a great time.

Congratulations Ms and B2b, always nice to hear good news.

Exe to Axe sounds fun JR.

Looked at the calendar and thought, if I'm going to do this 10k on Mayday I need to start going beyond 5ks.

Always tricky for me knowing what to up the distance by (dreaded injuries) so just put an extra half mile on today.

Everything seemed fine 10:48, 10:43, 10:29 and 10:19 splits. Lovely, weekend off now.

Have a great weekend allimage

Mar - 15.9

2014 - 60

• My memory rally isn't good enough to respond to anyone except those on the page I'm typing onimage

Got to say it's great ready through though and seeing so many getting back into the swing of it. Congrats Mummysaurus and B2B - that's on this page!

I took a little break this week as soreness in shoulders and neck although to be expected. Going for a shortish one this morning - trouble is it's a mile to where I start running and once out on the 'country paths' and Forest areas it's hard to stop.

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

I had a look at the entry details for the Exe to Axe Beachball, 20 miles of coastal path running, shed loads of climbing, spectacular views, 4 water stations en route, bus provided to transport you from finish to start before race for £6, entry £10! I think there are some fantastic events out there for unbelievable value. Compare that with my friend who asked me if i'd fancy doing the Rock Solid 10k this weekend for £52......er, no thank you. Don't think the wife will let me enter though as it's mothering Sunday and no amount of creeping will work this year. They did put a warning on their entry form as someone complained last year they weren't warned about how tough it would be lol.

As far as your 10k is concerned Beachball, just add a little to one of your runs each week, either time or distance, and make that your long run. Make one of your runs easy, say 5k, one of them  faster running (mid run after warm up) and hey presto, you have a 3 day running week to prepare for a 10k....add a fourth run (easy) if you like.

My shoulders were aching earlier in the week Ed after the Grizzly, more than my legs in fact, those country paths and forest areas sound perfect, so much better than roads. image

Happy running all 

• JR - a tenner for a 20 mile?! Bargain! £52 for a 10k!!!! image robbery!

keeping up the 5k trend at the moment I headed out into the beautiful sunshine for a nice "slow" one. Trotted away in the sun around my new hilly hilly route and was very surprised to finish in 29:11!! so that 3 sub 30 5ks in the same week?!?! Not really a normal thing for me but its interesting.

2014 - 124.9

• Hmmmmm if I had known you were out running B2B I could of joined you but at those speeds maybe watch you run past is more accurate........

thanks guys for all the congratulations

a nice 4.9 miles for me in the sun this morning, first time this year I have worn just one tshirt image  was going to go further but want to save the legs for my birthday run on Friday..........

2014 - 86.38

• CollinsCollins ✭✭✭

Hi again.  What a lovely, friendly and inspiring lot you are image You all seem to be very committed to your running and certainly support each other completely.  The good news for me is that my back is less painful though still not quite better.  Today was so lovely weather-wise, I decided to go out and try a gently jog around the village, but then our builder came and it was late by the time he left.  Anyway, weather forecast for tomorrow is also fine, so this could be it.  Kit may be worn, shoes may see the light of day and I might take my first step back to fitness (and my usual weight).  Fingers crossed.  Enjoy your running all.  Claire

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Good luck tomorrow Claire,

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Went out with the intention of doing a very easy 12, kept trying to reign it in a bit, ended up doing a hardish 16 on what is an amazing day here in Clacton -

• Thanks JR, sound advice for me there. It does surprise me the difference in price for some events. That one sounds a right bargain. Maybe next year if you ask Mrs JR now?

Good luck if you manage to get out Collins.

Ms - Doesn't this weather make such a difference? Mrs Beachball made a version of your flapjacks this week. they were lovely, thank you.

Good work as always Grendel.

Ed - That sounds a lovely area to run. I can't wait to get back onto the forest trails this year.

B2b - 3 nice runs there mate. Can't do no harm that's for sure.

Rest day for me, out tomorrow. Enjoy what looks like being a fantastic Sunday everyone image

• At least you'll have a decent warm up before your run Ed?!

Still a decent length run MS well done! PS congrats on being a Nannysaurus!

Hope you managed to get out Collins?

Grendel great run! I don't know how you manage to convince yourself to run that early?

Beachball good luck tomorrow!

Well I was going to go out for a gentle 3ish miles today after Thursdays pb, but the weather was so lovely I ended up exploring a route in the countryside I've not done before and ended up running 17.1miles, the furthest I've ever run before!! (I did have to stop for a Fab ice cream about 3miles from home though) image 

Well chuffed, although if it wasn't for recent injuries, I would have liked to have run this last week, and done a 20mile this week..but never the less I am still pleased I have passed the half marathon distance finally. image

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Well done Lisa, marathon sorted then.  Like the idea of the ice cream - 5:15 is easy, because its all done and dusted by 9:30 at the latest.  

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Rest Day for me today - - I will run Friday this week as I have booked my car in for a service and will have to run home (measured it yesterday and just under 3 miles, will then have to run to get it)

We are having our bathroom re-done this week so no bath or showers so will have to be a wash (or a dip in the sea!!)

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    Ah....an ice bath eh Grendel! Be great for your muscles to have a post run dip!

Thank you Claire, I think you'll struggle to find a friendlier bunch than the people on here.

Promise I will catch up properly later after I have been for a run, the weekend turned into a rest weekend!

After Friday's run, I welcomed the kids and Mrs JR home from school, we had tea and went to the brother in laws as it was his birthday. Saturday morning was spent coaching the kids football followed by an afternoon at the beach and fish and chips while watching the tide come in. Sunday morning was a trip to Torquay to watch my daughter play football, and as the weather was so good we spent the rest of the day there.Came home, Mrs JR cooked a curry and that was Sunday done. Will be running tonight for sure!
  • Faltering badly here

Ran Monday and Tuesday, Ibrox weds night (rest day anyway) Thursday and Friday slipped away

Up for a run Saturday - bed early Friday up Saturday, had to run daughter to work so that was that as Ibrox was early KO

I simply must go tonight and will report back. See Mo was second in NY half (after falling earlier), carted off in a wheelcaair but alls well apparently