Starting again from the beginning!

Comments

• lol sorry Grendel yes it was image I still think it applies to pretty much all of us, we are all guilty of thinking too much when it comes to this wonder sport of ours

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Except you B2B - you turn up do your stuff and go home

• ah what an illusion I have created! image Ultra running is ALWAYS on my mind, turning it off is so hard. I dream about it, it keeps me awake, it takes up most of my normal everyday life, it has turned into an all-consuming obsessive monster and im not quite sure how to get out! So crazy is this beast that the way I am dealing with running 100 miles is to look for even longer, harder events to put it into perspective!!

I am in trouble

• 330 - I would like to do the Loch Ness Marathon at some point too!

B2b my logic is also enter first, panic, I mean train, later. I have so far done 1 marathon, and now cant stop looking at other marathons that I would like to do. Gonna be expensive cos theyre all over the country. My bucket list is getting longer..a lot longer!! image

I also have the mind power and breathing strength for longer or faster runs than what my legs currently let me. Trying to strengthen my legs by up-ing my running to at least every other day atm.

Mummysaurus you are fantastic support! My mum wouldn't even bother to come and support me during the day let alone at stupid o'clock! In-laws are better, they came and supported me round Brighton, was such a buzz seeing them pop up here and there around the course.

Letting the side down tonight, I didn't sleep much last night so I feel shattered today. Rather than drag myself out tonight and do a crap run, I'm saving myself for a longer run tmw, in the hope that I sleep better tonight?

• Ps just read your pages in the Ultra Tale B2b. Liked your anecdote! image Maybe one day I can join you on a shorter ultra lol

• image Thanks! It was a very funny situation to be in at stupid o clock in the morning! 

I look forward to it Lisa! Just let me know when you are ready! image

• Mummysaurus. Got to say you're a big support just on here without getting out and about  - thanks.

330B - great to hear you're out again. Got to say I don't believe I overthink running - probably don't think enough tbh.

Did my fastest 5k since coming back tonight 28.58. Have to admit not really enjoying running faster as too hard to breath. I prefer just chilling on a longer run but will try and do some speedwork (fast for me anyway).

• B2b are there any 30-40miler ultras you could recommend/heard of?

• Lisa - the best place to have a look at that I have found is here (click) CAUTION upon clicking that link your event choice will change forever

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

The problem is B2B - you read the names of some of those events and they sound awesome -  Why wouldn't you enter them -  The Wall for example that Lisa is doing - it's Hadrian's Wall for goodness sake, the West Highland Way - some of the most beautiful countryside anywhere on earth - why wouldn't you do them? 

• EXACTLY!! The wall looks amazing! The west highland way, the north and south downs, Jurassic coast, coast to coast, the ridgeway, the viking way......the list just goes on!!!

Then you have the events that attract you for different reasons other than maybe beauty just the history....grand union canal race, Thames path 100, London to Brighton, hell even self transcendence and piece of string just because they are so twisted!

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

I did the North Downs 30 (K) many years ago - but it turned out to be about 2 miles longer so 20 still managed 2:10 - that was hard, legend had itthat a local runner had run the course, announced that it was about 30K and the event was born - but then thats what the piece of string does isn't it - you don't know how far you are going!!!!

THere was a local trail marathon through Constable Country - Flatford Mill etc, but as a point to point course I wouldn't have had the back up to get back to the car -

Forgot to say 4 miles this morning to turn the legs over

And JR good luck tomorrow.

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Jurassic coast run looks great image

Nice easy couple of miles after work today with a couple of strides at the end. 3.05 miles in total. Rain forecast for tomorrow, could be fun!

April - 76.83

2014 - 299.6

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Half way in the 5 x 50 challenge image (although the 30th & 31st March also counted)

A total of 349.45km covered, much of it will be cycling and still annoyed with myself at missing one day so far. 

Thank you for mentioning the challenge MS image

• Oh no B2b all those you've mentioned sound great! Still...I don't have to do them all at once...image

Grendel would you recommend the North Downs Way? I keep looking at it, I know it looks tough but is it interesting enough to keep you going and wanting to do it? (if you know what I mean?)

Well done on your runs and your challenge JR! Don't beat yourself up too much about that day, cant change it now! You've still done fantastic to only miss one, that's great will power!

6.2miles tonight, 81 for the month so far.

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Lisa, like a shot - it was tough but I ran round it before the race and used to train with a friend who lived in Eynsford(?)  so was used to the downs - go for it - a peace of cake after what you have lined up!!!

Ended up with 6.75 miles on the clock today followed by a mile and half on my wife's bike as I cycled it home from her work where she had left it - 15 due tomorrow and then countdown - 2 weeks

• Lisa - the north downs is beautiful! you could always go for my first ultra choice NDW50. I is hilly hilly hilly but that what makes it so stunning.

Grendel - wow you are still pushing it....good on ya!! I would really have liked to have kept my training up longer but just got to make the most of it

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Good going Lisa, not far off 100 for the month image

Two weeks Grendel image, nice idea for a warm down. Enjoy the 15 tomorrow.

I think the best thing you can be now B2B is organised. Forget the lack of training, you have what it takes in your head. That's worth a thousand miles on your feet. You have plenty of experience to draw on now when it gets tough. Keep smiling.

Haldon Heartbeat complete!

Just under 8.5 miles of muddy tracks, forest and the odd hill. After a decent warm up to keep the cold at bay we started at Exeter racecourse on a chilly morning. It hammered down on the way there but we were spared the rain for most of the run. The first mile is slightly downhill and I probably went off a little too quick @ 8:40 but I ran by feel rather than the watch concentrating on breathing and watching the mud and stones underfoot. At mile 2 we were faced with a particularly muddy track. Either side of huge puddles we slipped (and sunk) into the mud and didn't my calves know it! Mile 3 had one decent descent and I made a bit of time there but again probably a little too quick @ 8:29. During much of the race I spent most of my time watching where my feet were going and the conditions underfoot sure made it tough at times. We hit the one real tough hill around half way just after a well placed water station. It was short but required hands on thighs all the way to the top. The spectacular view made it worthwhile though and a nice gentle run along the top of the hill was welcome before heading slightly uphill again back towards the forest. 

Mile 6 was particularly tough and my feet were getting heavy. I couldn't work out if it was the amount of mud on me or tired legs, or both! Anyway, that mile was all uphill, as was most of the final 2 1/2 except for one nice decline before the second water station and the slog home. I had a couple of people in front who I just tried to stay with and as we finally exited the forest via a Grizzly style bog we actually got to run on concrete for the last few hundred metres, that felt good. I didn't think I had a sprint finish in me but my daughters cheers of "come on Dad" got me past the woman in front (it's so nice when you overtake someone younger than you!). 

The race was tougher than I imagined but much of this can be put down to what's under your feet. Felt pretty good most of the way though and an average pace of 9:38 for an off roader is quite pleasing as is the fact nothing felt like it was going to break or fall off so I reckon i'm getting stronger. Finished in 1:20:43 by my Garmin. 

My wife has the Killerton 10k next Sunday so we will parkrun Saturday and i've offered to marshal at the race with the kids. Not sure if they still need people but i've offered. Such an important part of any event. Todays marshals were brilliant once again. My daughter was fourth girl in the 2 mile fun run with my boys 5th and 7th in the boys race. Very proud! Got a tshirt for the Heatbeat and the wife and kids got a pretty decent medal.

April - 85.72

2014 - 308.49 image

• That sounds great JR. So much more fun than trawling along pavements. Got to admit I love my country paths and think what you did is a step too far for me currently but may give it a go later in the year.

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Thanks Ed, the going was tougher than I thought it would be. Something for you to work towards! Find yourself a nice autumn trail run and go for it. image

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Went out for a 'recovery run' this morning. 3.62 miles in total with what was meant to be a gentle 5k in the middle. Somehow ran 26:15? It was pancake flat but didn't expect that. Legs felt great today! Had no intention of running quick, especially after yesterday but just went by feel and I flew!

April - 89.34

2014 - 312.11

• Wonderful stuff JR! By the whole family!

Cant do the NDW this year Grendel as it clashes with the Wall, but I may consider it for next year then!

Really need to drag myself out today but so tired! Daughter's got chicken pox and I reckon she woke me every hour last night where she is feeling groggy. Also trying to give the house a de-clutter, which is taking aaaagggggggeeeeeessssssss! image

Will update later with hopefully some sort of mileage for today!

• So I had an hour nap on the sofa with my daughter, then I paper mached an old cat food box with my son to turn into a treasure box...

...then I went for a 19.5mile run!! Woohoo, go me! Bloody knackered now.

101miles for the month!

Hope everyone had a great weekend, running or not, preferably running though imageimage

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    Bloody hell Lisa!!! Now that's a run!!! Well done you.
  • Lisa

I laughed out loud when I read that, you listing what you have done for the day the casually mention ..... "then I went for a 19.5 mile run" - like its a daily occurrence !!

Brilliant Lisa that's fantastic well done !!!!!! 

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Well done Lisa, love it as a throw away comment. " I did 19.5 miles!!) Hope you daughter recovers quickly -

Realised yesterday that my 15 mile run was a mistake, I had opened the book at the wrong schedule - should have done 12!!! Oh well keeping me up there in the Fetch vs RW challenge. did a very very slow easy 3 miles this morning. Looking at the right schedule still has me doin a couple of 6s a 4 and a 10.

Have a good day all.

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    Lol Grendel..no one can say you're not commited.

Well I guess I've no excuse not to hit 100 for the month now seeing as I've only got another ten or so to go and the huge efforts of others on the thread. Very inspiring Lisa and Grendel!

Have to drop the car to my mate for its mot later, take my lad to football training and was hoping to watch Chelsea in the Fa youth cup final. Will squeeze a 5 miler in somewhere.

Update later, happy running
  • Nice report JR! and thanks for the smiles

I feel after catching up with you lot like I last ran years ago!! Nervous doesn't even begin to describe what it going on in my head right now. I hope all of this "resting" will do me well on the day but lets see!

At the moment I remind myself as often as I can how much this is going to hurt. Worse case scenario is im right! Im going to smile anyway and give it everything I have

• Ah, just the 19.5 miles.

I managed 9.3 yesterday - great run yesterday seeing both the beautiful and ugly side of nature. Oh, and if there was anyone around then I would have looked mad the point I started flapping my arms and screaming 'aaark, aaark, aaark' at a crow chasing a baby rabbit down for breakfast.

The scenery and wildlife was great but in addition to rabbit snaffling I saw a blackbird eating another blackbird and a cat walking away with a baby bird - not sure what kind.

• Thanks everyone!

Nice Grendel to be ahead of schedule! You're gonna do great!

You can do it JR! Still a couple of days of April left! image

B2b, as previously mentioned, you have the right mentality to complete an ultra. I'm sure your fitness has dropped that much, if anything the rest will have done your muscles some good. You will be fine. PMA! We are all supporting you!

Well done Ed, great, if not weird, run lol!

Didn't do a recovery run today because my right knee is niggling because I forgot to put a knee support on after recovery (did the RIE just not the C). But generally everything else seems fine, which is promising. Gonna try and get out tomorrow, even if for a few miles.