Starting again from the beginning!

Comments

• ha ha ha indeed! image sorry should have mentioned im an ultra runner! image I have completed......

1x marathon, 1x 50k, 1x 34mile 2x 50 milers, 1x 100k and DNF`d my first 100 mile at 60 something image

and it all started in here in 2012 trying to run for 30 minutes image

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Waited until 9pm for tonights run. Still muggy but much better than earlier. 5 mile tempo run in 41:59. Considering the first and last were relatively easy paced miles that sure does give me confidence for my upcoming 10k. Would like to get out again over the weekend for an easy 6/7 and get some regular running in for the next couple of weeks.

July – 56.74

2014 – 549.56

• The forecast is looking to be cooler on Sunday!

Wow, what a great time tonight Just Runimage and a very good performance on your parkrun last week end. Inspiring posts here this week on this thread - always motivating and informative thanks.

Hope you recover well B2B - diarolyte is good for redressing homeostasis but tastes better with a drop of fav squash.

I am now running 5 miles x3 weekly with the running club (beginners), along with boot camp and a weekly cycle of 20 plus miles - my parkrun has been adjourned  because of exercise time management - I blame you guys! X

• Went to the parkrun this morning. Only 4 seconds off last week's time (which was a PB since starting again) despite feeling so tired yesterday. Could have beaten it with a bit more effort, eased off in the last 200m - no one close to me.

Thinking of running a half marathon next weekend (haven't entered). My main target at the moment is a September half and it'll be interesting to give it a go again. Exactly 5 years since my last half - same race in 2009. Expecting to be about 10 minutes slower but ...

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Thanks Jaxmc64. It's certainly a little cooler here with a gentle breeze in the air. I missed parkrun this week too.

Slinger, there are people who need 3-6 months to prepare for a half marathon and there are people who can turn up on the day and just blag it. I guess it all depends on your general fitness (in particular your running fitness) at the moment, your previous history (you sound like you were pretty fit before) and what your aim is. At best I imagine you'll be a bit stiff the next few days but a famous runner once said "It's not the distance that kills, it's the pace". If you feel up to it then do it, just maybe enjoy it rather than worry about a time. A friend of mine, who is in his forties and hasn't run for over twenty years (although eeps fit playing football) turned up to our local parkrun a few months back and finished in the top seven. He said he ached a bit the next day but although 3.1 is a little different than 13.1 you'll understand where i'm coming from. 

Although I missed an early run in favour of catching up on the Commenwealth Games while having a lie in until 8:30. Spent all day yesterday, and I mean all day (9am till 7:30pm) fishing with my boys. 28 carp later (could be the title of a send up horror film)  and they finally wanted to go home for tea! 

Will run later today, happy running image

• Just Run: I'm just thinking of running to see how it goes really. Race predictor says 1:37 for me based on a recent 5k time, but I suspect that is sheer fantasy given my fitness, the likely weather and the odd hill or two. 8 minute miles gives you 1:45 in a half marathon, so that seems a sensible starting pace. Maybe a tad faster image

• thanks Jaxmc64 everything seems to be balancing out now image

speedy Slinger!! image Will be interesting to see your times once you are "ready" if this is just the comeback! Im yet to break 2 hours for a half, guess its due to all the long, slow stuff image My half time is just based on a hilly out and back training run....think its 2:11 and change image

Went along to see Mummysaurus at race for life yesterday, very, very warm day! Looked like a tough one and a lot of folks were suffering in the heat. It was so great to watch her breeze across the line still keeping great form, massive well done! 10k next year? image 

Going to head out tonight I think for a gentle bop. Need to keep everything low as im already tapering again! ha ha ha next saturday im pacing for 50 miles of the NDW100!!! oh man thats close! pfffft! oooops image

• Sorry for being absent again!!!! you have all been doing so much good running, there hasn't been much for me but as B2B says yesterday was Race for Life day, this is what I started learning to run for,  after walking last year. Well it was very hot and sooooo many people I kept getting stuck behind groups of people holding hands walking or jogging together, but blocking all the flippin path, or mums with pushchairs people with dogs (not so well behaved as some of the kids image ) but I finished it and to be honest felt pretty strong all the way to the end, and miracles upon miracles today I don't have one single ache or pain imageimageimage

At last I think I have finally beaten my calves into submission, got rid of the shin splints and the nerve pain meds are working, golly gosh can this be true I actually feel like I might be a runner image although according to the race directors yesterday you could only be a runner if you were able to finish in 20 mins or under anything above and you had to line up with the joggers.....ggggrrrrhhhhh!!!!!!

B2B thank you for coming out and supporting me yesterday......glad you think you are getting back to normal, you had me scared there for a while, but think the fuzzy head is still on.........NDW100 isn't next weekend you still have another week after that so plenty of time for tapering, get out there and run!!!!!!!

• yeah next saturday 9th/10th, this saturday is secret cinema! image going to see back to the future and they have made a whole town!! should be loads of fun

• Good to hear about you MS...you support so many on here so great to hear good news from you.

After my recent race was cancelled I've decided to do a trail half marathon at Delamere. It's only a half but looks like it may be a toughie for me. I'm hoping the events organised by Montaine are decent.

I got some training in this weekend by a 10 mile run at 7am and 'rocking out' on the front row of a concert at 10.30pm. I'm way too old for that kind of thing nowadays!
  • Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Good running MS image 

B2B .... Get out and run image

lol Ed. I'm usually in bed by then these days. 

Went out for 7 miles last night, much cooler run and very pleased with the time (1:02) on an undulating course. The recent hill reps have clearly improved my climbing, I flew up even the steep ones and felt really strong. Had to ease off the pace a few ties as it crept down under 8 1/2 minute miles. Save it for the quick runs I told myself. The legs needed no encouragement, they were full of running image

July – 63.74

2014 – 556.56

• Ed - I love trail! image A trail half will be bags of fun and will challenge you a bit for sure! Well done with breaking into double digit training, I really enjoy doing 10 mile runs. Who are you going to see?

JR - alright, alright im going! image Tried to push hard yesterday evening, felt like I was flying but had no watch as the battery was dead. I looked at the clock before leaving and timed it that way. I was quite surprised to find 5k took me 30 minutes as I felt like I should have been a couple of minutes faster. Oh well not too shabby! image This was a rare time that I didnt have water on me as well, just shorts and t shirt. Once I got in I was also surprised to find that I was absolutely dripping with sweat!! I guess my body is still balancing out image 

• I'm not starting from the beginning exactly, but I've barely run since an April marathon this year. I keep a training log and it shows I ran 16 times in the 6 weeks following the marathon, and 3 times in the 10 weeks since that.

Same pattern as last year. Partly because I really don't like running in the heat, partly because after training for the marathon I guess the pressure lifted a bit and I haven't been encouraging myself to go out for a run, and partly other things have taken over; work, etc.

Anyway, i'm back plodding the pavements now, and hopefully can get back into some decent sort of shape over the next couple of months. Just need to remind myself to take it easy and not think I can jump straight back to where I was in April.

• JustRun: Sounds to me like you need to find a race. Must be something coming up in your area.

Agent Ginger: A month of greatly reduced training after a Marathon is often a good idea but 16 weeks is too long. Yes. Get back plodding is the best idea. Slow is good. Try not to compare training times with those of 6 months ago - nearly always a bad idea from my experience.

• welcome AgentGinger! Sounds to me like you need to find some trails image its almost a guaranteed way to ignite your love of running again image as slinger says, take your time and come back slowly. Remember you are building a foundation on which the rest of your running will be built 

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Hi AgentGinger image Can relate to your pattern, once the big event is done it's hard to motivate yourself. Enjoy the return to running and feel free to post about absolutely anything on her, they're a great bunch. Echo B2B's foundation.

slinger, there is a 5k next week which i'm hoping to attend and I have a 10k entry on the 20 August (pancake flat and no secret i'm hoping for my first ever sub 50 minute 10k). 

• JR - I'm normally in bed by then on school nights but allow myself late nights at the weekendimage I need to start doing some hill reps myself.

B2B - I do easy trails at the mo and don't like road running. I have also done a little around Delamere and it's a great area. Just a half maybe a step up for me! The concert was last Saturday - The Wedding Present in a 200 capacity venue. A group I must have seen a dozen times in late 80s/early 90s.

Ginger - welcome in. I know what you mean about losing focus. I agree with the others - a race to prepare for and preferably out on some trails will get you loving it.
  • hey folks just a quick one this morning as I have a meeting this afternoon image

Lovely run with Mummysaurus last night apart from the bugs that seemed to enjoy flying into my eyes!

for those who would like the full story of the 50k I have put it up on my blog image

http://cardiosaurus.blogspot.co.uk/

catch you guys in a bit

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Just a quick catch up, well done all the runners, have read the blog B2B - a good write up and I only noticed one error and I won't mention that - you know what I think about taking too much water - obviously a very fine balance -  it could'nt have been heat exhaustion though could it?  It was, after all very hot that weekend. 

One performance stands out above all others since I last posted - 28 Carp, more details JR sizes etc, that sounds an awesome day. 

Running wise, still plugging away -  finding it quite hard though as am now working 6 days each week, 3 at work, and 3 cleaning and hoovering caravans and chalets to ensure the great British public have a good holiday -

Started a new schedule this week, after a couple of easy weeks, designed to get me sharp for the Wix 5 in October (although they haven't announced the date yet) 

Monday - 5 including strides

Tuesday a warm up and down followed by 8 times 80 seconds (did 12 because 8 didn't sound enough - although at the end of it I realised why they only did 8!!!)

Wednesday between 5 and 7 so I did 6.44

Thursday (today) - 35 to 40 minutes easy fartlek -  (actually did 50 minutes) 

Tomorrow a rest day!!!! woo hoo.

• Welcome Agent Ginger

B2B great blog post,

Had a really nice run with B2B last night we went and tried out a cycle path that use to be an old railway line, it's 6.5 miles from start to finish so would make a great half marathon training route as an out and back, we did 6 miles which after my 5k Race for Life at the weekend was enough for me. Rest day today then want to try and get out for another longish one tomorrow if the legs are recovered enough.

Happy Running Everyone

• cheers all,

will need to go looking for some trails by the sounds of it. I live in south london (Tooting), anyone know the nearest place I can get to from here? I suspect I might need to cycle to / from somewhere to run in nice scenery, nothing but miles and miles of pavement where I live. And parks / commons too, but not quite the same thing. Richmond Park isn't that far away, and that's pleasant enough to run around.

I cycled to brighton (about 60 miles once factoring in my mate and i getting lost a bit) last Sunday, which was the furthest i've ever cycled in one day (previously about 20 miles) but just took it easy and used it as an excuse to get some fresh air. Also been doing a bit of swimming to try to retain some fitness, but i'll need to take it very slowly at first until I get my running mojo back image

• Grendel - thanks! yeah pretty sure there is at least one error ha ha ha! hmm ive had something like heatstroke before and it didnt feel the same, also didnt last as long. Sounds like a nice plan! image

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Wix 5 is the 19th October - entries have opened today and I don't have my wallet with me!!!!!

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Entered it - first entrant!!!

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Will have a read of the blog later B2B. I had a bug hit the back of my throat the other day, must have looked hilarious as I coughed and spluttered along the tow path.

Grendel, it was indeed a super day, we lost a few too as the boys panicked before I could get to them. Most were around 3-4lb, a few hit about the 6lb mark and one or two were around 8lbs. My back was aching, not from the weight of the fish but I was in and out of my seat all day long like some strange interval session. The boys sure enjoyed it!

Good solid running from you as usual Grendel, enjoy the rest day. First entrant! Nice one!

Great running MS, if you feel recovered then run, and enjoy it. Half Marathon entry on the cards then?

Agent Ginger…..so many people have said how nice Richmond Park is to run in, so much lovely scenery. Cycling is a fantastic way to get and stay in shape. Non-impact  too so a perfect foil for your running. I think the furthest I’ve cycled is 35 miles?

Ran my last miles of July last night and did the hill session that I’ve done the last few weeks. On leaving the house I realised my Garmin battery was dead so ran to feel. I’m sure my warm up was a little fast but didn’t push so accepted the pace as easy. Arrived at the bottom of the hill and set off for my first rep…..halfway up I ground to almost a complete stop, I had set off far too quick. Rep two felt spot on and rep three too. Rep four was far too slow (I felt far too good at the top) but the last two went well. It’s amazing the difference your arms make on a steep hill when the legs tire! Relaxed into an easy run home only to end up following another runner. I was slowly gaining on him and couldn’t resist picking up the pace. On catching up another appeared in front and again I couldn’t resist so finished with a rather quick warm down. Felt really good afterwards and this morning  too so may add a rep or two next time. 5.5 miles in total.

July – 69.24

2014 – 562.06

• Took the advice here and went on the trails yesterday. Unfortunately for me that means a big hill. Still seem tired from Saturday. Very poor at hills at the moment so walked quite a bit. 1:20 and was fairly tired at the end. Shortish run tomorrow and planning race on Sunday.

Sat: 21 min 5k, Mon: 0:55 slow, Wed 1:20 slow, Fri: 0:30 slow, Sun: HM race. Seem to be doing about 3 hours and a bit each week at the moment.

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭
    Myself, son, two nephews and brother in law have an annual fishing trip, we go to a local pond where they live where we are pretty much guaranteed to catch some fish. Always important when talking about kids. Not sure this year. We got bad news last week, brother in laws chemo not working, they basically sent him home to put all his affairs in order. It won't be the same without him. I will take his boys though as life has to go on.
  • Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear that Grendel. A nice touch to continue the fishing trip. 

My Grandad has been taken into hospital today after suffering a fall. Had to have his head glued and had an irregular heartbeat but hopeful that he will be able to return home tonight. 

Good running Slinger. Hills are so good for you. 

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    Finally got the internet back on my phone after no data for days. Going to kicks off August with a steady 5 this afternoon and also have some targets to aim for.

1. Another sub 24 5k, dream time sub 23:30.

2. A sub 50 minute 10k

3. 100 miles for August

4. A couple of double figure runs

5. Stretch more - it works!

Had an email about next year's Grizzly, it will be on Sunday 1st March. Ballot entry again so fingers crossed. Will find out in October. Also going to enter Taunton marathon April. Only half hour up the road from me.

Back later, happy running
  • Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭
    Brilliant JR, you'll storm the marathon.