Switching off!!!!

Well, today, I managed increase my run, ever so slightly, by .25 of a mile, in spite of the biting cold!!! However, I seemed to be in a constant battle with myself!!! Although I was trotting along quite nicely, my brain kept telling me I couldn't do it and needed to stop!!! Thankfully, my legs won and I got round my whole route without stopping!! image However, I was wondering how you guys manage to turn that voice off in your head and just keep running!!!!! Any tips????

Comments

• StiltsStilts ✭✭✭
    Jeez - just don't turn it on in the first place
  • Hahaha!!! Why didn't I think of that!!!
  • Think about dinner, or the sky, or the birds, or telly.

• If all the voices in my head told me to do was not to run I would be in a lot happier (and less secured) place. image

It sounds to me that mentally you are living in the moment of your run, you need to try to get in the mindset that I am running for x minutes what can I occupy myself with? and find something to distract yourself with be it music, audiobooks - they work for me or just composing a shopping list, anything but running.

When I first started I would be mentally checking for aches, pains, breathing and everything else constantly as I ran along worrying about nothing, now I think "that'll sort itself out soon enough" and drift off. It's like driving a car with a broken radio; all of a sudden you notice  every knock, splutter and noise from the engine and it sounds awful and yet it keeps going. Usually.

On the plus side you didn't give in to the voice and pushed on, running is as much mental as physical and you should see it as a test that you passed. Congrats on that and the extra .25 image

• It happens occasionally. My last 2 runs I've found myself slowing for a walk for no real reason, other than I can't be bothered to keep running! Then I tell myself to MTFU and get running again.

Well done on your longest run.

• chubby bloke wrote (see)

It happens occasionally. My last 2 runs I've found myself slowing for a walk for no real reason, other than I can't be bothered to keep running! Then I tell myself to MTFU and get running again.

Well done on your longest run.

Yup, until 10 days ago I was exactly the same and was jogging along nicely and would just start walking. I couldn't run more than a mile before a hill or my mind just made me 'give up'.

Last week I signed up for the Loch Ness Marathon and have started base training,  slowed down to a 5mph average and tonight managed just shy of 5 1/2 miles without stopping and ran up the hill to home without stopping for the first time ever. Speed can come later.

I've read that running is 80% mind and 20% fitness so well done Jessica, keep on keeping on image

• Andi McGill 2 wrote (see)

I've read that running is 80% mind and 20% fitness so well done Jessica, keep on keeping on image

Tell me where you read that, Andi....  then I can make sure I avoid that crazy publication image

• Hehehe!!! Thanks guys!!!! Some good tips there!!!
  • sinbad113sinbad113 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Yes its so easy to stop.

Yet try and develop some key words to say when trying to get further distance in.

One friend said, about 50% determination.

I try and say when getting nearly to a top of a hill, its my brain wanting to stop not my body.

In time you will get there.

• I keep telling myself , "if I cant even do that, how am I going to raise my children in this tough world"  image