Can Mo Farah win in London?

Comments

• I don't think Mo will win, although I wish he would, but he will do well, possibly beating the British record.

•  

Dont let the NY thing and the distance involved worry you. What happened at NY doesn't mean that there's the possibility he's going to collapse anywhere after 13.1m. Isolated incident that was.

This man is a highly experienced and talented distance runner, like any of us he'll fully understand whats involved and have respect for the distance.

So dont worry about him, just wish him all the best.

If you're there and racing or even if you're not, enjoy it. Likewise if you're watching it on the BBC- enjoy, Its got the potential to be a great race.....................possibly with a great outcome

• I have a feeling he may finish 3rd. The pace if it is world record pace will mean that some will blow up...then Mo can over take the drifters late on...
  • Perfect conditions for elite runners tomorrow I should think.

• I can't understand the panic over the collapse after the 1/2- it's common for runners to collapse after the finish, and not sinister..............remember the same panic about the Brownlee ( can't remember whichi one) before the olympics- just shows he was trying.

I hope he breaks the record, but I fear that the gutter perss will pile in with "shock horror" if he doesn't win.

Will be glued to TV in the moring.

• popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

If it's a fast pace I think he'll crack and either DNF or drop right back, if he runs to a pace he knows he can sustain then a GB record should be doable but I'm not sure he can live with a WR pace if he gets dragged into a race.

• One very good thing that may result from today's race is that a wider public (not just distance running followers) will appreciate just what an outstanding runner Steve Jones was.

Mo is undeniably an all-time great and yet, in perfect conditions, he couldn't run as quickly as Steve Jones did nearly 30 years ago and without anywhere near as much "science" and support as today's elite have access to.

That's not to say Mo won't break the UK record one day (in fact it will be a major surprise if he doesn't) but it does highlight just how good Steve Jones was all those years ago.

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

8th, 1 minute outside UK Record. Got the English record. 

Sure you knew that already Daveimage 

• Nope....

Raced myself this morning,

Home to watch Paris - Roubaix

Then out on the bike for a few more miles...

Just caught up on BBC 2
  • Sorry, I only asked how did he do, my humble apologies if I should have bothered to find out earlier....

Neither of us had watched it, and was on here rather than bothering to look it up
  • Self pleasuring is always the best I'm told
  • mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

I think Mo did great. So he didn't get the British record and didn't come in top 5 but so what? I'd say that's pretty good for a first marathon.

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

it was good, totally agree, but not good enough I think as far as mo is concerned, he seemed disappointed, also last week one of his competitors did his 1st marathon in France in 2:05:04 I know a different course, but 3 minutes better than mo. 

• I said previously that didn't know if he'd win, but was hoping so although the British record shouldn't present any problems.

Wrong on both counts then.

And dont get me wrong here, I'm not knocking him. Seen Mo racing for enough years now to know that he prepares himself properly and then on race day he'll give it ten tenths. Today just wasn't his day, it was a good effort but not performed to his potential.

During the last few miles Brendan was indicating that he'll be best sticking to the track in future, and in the interview Jonathan Edwards gave him the chance to say that marathon possibly not his distance? , Mo obviously disappointed with performance but said he'll not be leaving it like this. ...............good to hear it.

I for one will look forward to his next attempt at marathon

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

+1 said it better than I did. 

• Yes I thought that piece of commentary was utter shite actually - the equivalent of "if at first you don't succeed, give up."

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Screama, I agree and I think he should have kept his thoughts to himself.  It was almost as if he had prearranged what he was going to say if Mo didn't win or "do well".  Mo was obviously disappointed in his time but I thought he had planned to go out with the second group anyway, so surely there was little chance of him winning from there in that field?

• Agree with that. Brendan Foster in particular seemed over-eager to write him off as a marathon runner when by any objective criteria, a 2.08 debut is a stunning achievement !

Being the competitor he is (and it came across very strongly in his post-race interview with Jonathan Edwards) this is likely to spur him on to run even faster next time and the UK record at least is surely only a matter of time.