Do You Trust Your MP's?

2»

Comments

• 1992 was when my MP stopped being a full time Union Official and became an MP

Next door has only been an MP a couple of years (he's a cyclist tho)

• and I actually do not mind my own MP.I always felt  that he is pretty honest........and he didn't go to the right school either......

• and my other MP, went to the school in the town he represents and Manchester Poly.... and has been MP for 8 years (Does that make him a Dark Age ?)

• you have more than one MP.thats greedy 

• Sadly I only get to vote for 1 of them

• GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭

I don't get this hatred of old Etonians and Harrovians etc. I'd rather have somebody in charge who knows the difference between a can of Tizer and a bottle of Blue Nun.

What does rile me is the Oxbridge PPE, parliamentary aide/researcher then get parachuted into a safe seat route, I'd like to know my MP's connection with the area. Or the Union Official/safe seat route, see Jack Dromey. I'd much prefer to see somebody from the local area represent the area.

Equally the assumption that Tories are rich, Oxbridge educated friends of bankers and Labour salt of the earth on the breadline. I invite a quick google search of say, Ed Balls' background, what his brother does, or whether say Ed Milliband attended one of the three great universities, Oxford, Cambridge or Hull.

On the subject of chemists Dave, they're brilliant at everything, FACT.

• GraemeK wrote (see)

On the subject of chemists Dave, they're brilliant at everything, FACT.

Only the ones who come from Grantham....

The 2 MP's who cover my homes are both ex Union Officials... Both went to the local high school and both went to a Poly.

Perhaps I should live in a better area ?

• As I understand it, about a third of current MPs went to 'independent' schools. Seven per cent of the school population is currently educated privately. More than 50 per cent of Tory MPs went to private school; about 15 per cent of Labour MPs; and 40 per cent of LibDems. I think it does tell you something, though what that is probably depends upon your existing political outlook. Apparently, 90 per cent of MPs went to university (31 per cent of working age adults did so); more than a third of MPs who went to university were at either Oxford or Cambridge.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8689818.stm

• Peter Collins wrote (see)

As I understand it, about a third of current MPs went to 'independent' schools. Seven per cent of the school population is currently educated privately. More than 50 per cent of Tory MPs went to private school; about 15 per cent of Labour MPs; and 40 per cent of LibDems. I think it does tell you something, though what that is probably depends upon your existing political outlook.

Possibly that a traditional Tory voter wants the best for their children and are prepared to go to any lengths to give them the best start.

I still don't see why a good school and a good university should be such a stain ? Unless of course you didn't go to a good school and good university and are jealous ?

• I think you've proved my point - it's all about your political and social views. To me it shows an absolutely reprehensible lack of representation of large swathes of the population, but what do I know?

• I think giving our kids the best start in life was what mattered...

How they decide to vote is up to them  image

• Of course, that's assuming that going private is better than the state system. My considered opinion is that it's not. That people from private schools get better jobs is, to my mind, a condemnation of our social and political system, not an argument in favour of private schools. Anyway, it's clear that people who go to public schools and Oxbridge have way too much influence on Westminster. Just my view.

• Well if you can't get into Westminster if you go to state school sort of proves the benefit of a good education

Although already pointed out my MP went to secondary modern and a poly 

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Quote thing -  "On the subject of chemists Dave, they're brilliant at everything, FACT"

Charlie Spedding was a chemist so that is fact -

Do I trust politicians - no - (I have to confess my son put the cross at the last local election - the only stipulation was he didn't choose the BNP guy as he wants to send his (Indian) Uncle home - he ended up voting for the guy he knew who drove the school mini bus - Probably the right choice

• GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭
    Charile Spedding is a pharmacist, which is very different to a chemist.
  • kittenkat wrote (see)

I'm fancying a Blue Tizer Nun cocktail. Anyone?

Red hued nuns doing a bit of blue?  I'm in!  

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

What's the best start in life for kids then, the conventional private education? 

Where's the pay off?

🙂

• RicF wrote (see)

What's the best start in life for kids then, the conventional private education? 

Where's the pay off?

They get into Westminster, and then lower your taxes, so you can help fund the grandkids through private education ?

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Just checked the cost of a private education, around £250,000. About the price of the average house in the UK.

So while people are patting themselves on the back for 'helping' their Giles and Jessica's with the best education money can buy, at the end of it they're still stuck with the same qualification as some kid from a local comprehensive.

Want to give your kids the best start in life. Save the (private education) money instead and use it to buy them a house outright.

🙂

• GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭
    An analogy to your argument Ric is give a man a fish, you feed him for a night, teach a man to fish, you feed him for life.

250k is the cost of a Harrow or an Eton, 30-40k a year for 6 years. King Edwards in Brum is 11k a year. A grade A from Harrow is the same as a grade A from Shitsville Comp in theory, but when I'm interviewing somebody, I'm not just looking at the exam grades, I'm looking at the person as a whole.
  • But of course with A levels from Eton, followed by a 1st from Cambridge earns more than shitsville comp usually
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

GK,  you appear to have revealed that you're going to discriminate against any candidate that doesn't match your own personal identity.

Just realised what you meant about fish and the like. In simple terms you're saying if you spend the money on an education, the kid will have the tools to earn the money to buy a house. Conversely, if you simply give the kid a house with the money, then that's his lot. 

One big elephant in the room. You're making the assumption that going to a comprehensive will result in 'no qualification'.

The link between education and earning capacity is tenuous at best. It's one of the great perpetuated myths that keeps the system going. Still, its a system that provides employment and purpose for thousands of people so let the fantasy continue.

For what its worth, my lad has an offer from Bath University to study engineering. Predicted grades 'A' & 2'A*'s. Maths & Physics.inc

From the nearest comprehensive to where we live.

He'll get the house too.

🙂

• GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭
    I've not revealed anything about discriminating against anybody. I resent that implication and frankly I don't know how the fuck you've deduced it. What I did say was that there is more to a person than exam results and what school they went to. For the record, I went to the local comp and an ok University.

In general, as Dave says, in general people with better qualifications will earn more. Wayne Rooney and Richard Branson may be exceptions, but I'd wager not too many FTSE CEOs don't have a good education or an exceptional ability to learn.
  • Our kids can work for their own houses
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Easy to deduce GK. You have knowledge of the cost of various private educational institutions and also refer to a comprehensive as Shitsville.

The ambiguity of your next paragraph gives the impression you favour the 'body' from Harrow.

🙂