Football season

2»

Comments

• There's a pretty good rant in The Guardian:

"a game owned by crooks and despots and played by racists and rapists"

• Interesting article - in the last couple of days the football apologists have started laying into the Olympics, but both viewpoints are a bit extreme tbh

In my athletics club, there are many footie fans of many clubs, who actually go to matches - I'm a Bournemouth fan and cannot wait to go to Pompey tomorrow, but as far as that goes, I can't say I really love footie that much. We all know that not ALL footballers are as described in the article, but playing in football teams growing up and then joining an athletics club, I just find the general 'scene ' so much better. I have had many good friends I have played footie with, but there's always a cocky, fag smoking idiot around the corner.

I just think that the nations footballers could do with having a quite season scandal wise, TV could publicise their charity work a bit more..and most of all the managers demand that they respect the ref alot more than they do at the moment. That would help raise their standing with the public a bit.

• Team sports seem to have a lot of badly behaved individuals. It has been said that team sports foster a level of immaturity, that athletes simply cannot afford to have. In a team the individual is secondary and that can result, if you have been playing since you were a child, with  adult men with millions in the bank but the minds of teenagers. Its not accidental that athletes can seem alot more focused and muture than rugby players footballers etc. You dont get to be Laura Trott if you constantly need yer mam to remind you that staying out late isnt good for training, or get to be the first woman boxing gold medalist at 29 if your too busy with "boys".

• "TV could publicise their charity work a bit more"

WHAT, thats something else that makes my blood boil!  Lots of people give to charity but dont feel the need to publicise it to justify their existance.  Its a hell of a lot easier to give to charity when you work 20 hours a week, earn countess millions a year (and in many cases avoid the tax on most of it).

• Give me the Olympics anyday. The fans are as bad as the players.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Simon Coombes 2 wrote (see)

Interesting article - in the last couple of days the football apologists have started laying into the Olympics, but both viewpoints are a bit extreme tbh

The most dopey backing of football over the Olympics I saw was from Robbie Savage, who said Olympians only need to peak once every 4 years, whereas footballers have to peak every game.

As if the athletes aren't competing at any time in between! He obviously doesn't realise the World Cup is the equivalent of the Olympics...

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Stephen E Forde wrote (see)

Team sports seem to have a lot of badly behaved individuals. It has been said that team sports foster a level of immaturity, that athletes simply cannot afford to have. In a team the individual is secondary and that can result, if you have been playing since you were a child, with  adult men with millions in the bank but the minds of teenagers. Its not accidental that athletes can seem alot more focused and muture than rugby players footballers etc. You dont get to be Laura Trott if you constantly need yer mam to remind you that staying out late isnt good for training, or get to be the first woman boxing gold medalist at 29 if your too busy with "boys".

Generally agree, but the profile of Premier league footballers is off the scale, whereas most of our Olympians could walk down the street tomorrow and you wouldn't recognise them. Therefore, naturally the footballers tales of squalidarity will get feasted on by the press, whereas if there are similar stories from athletes, chances are no one will find out.

• Stevie G . wrote (see)
    Stephen E Forde wrote (see)

Team sports seem to have a lot of badly behaved individuals. It has been said that team sports foster a level of immaturity, that athletes simply cannot afford to have. In a team the individual is secondary and that can result, if you have been playing since you were a child, with  adult men with millions in the bank but the minds of teenagers. Its not accidental that athletes can seem alot more focused and muture than rugby players footballers etc. You dont get to be Laura Trott if you constantly need yer mam to remind you that staying out late isnt good for training, or get to be the first woman boxing gold medalist at 29 if your too busy with "boys".

Generally agree, but the profile of Premier league footballers is off the scale, whereas most of our Olympians could walk down the street tomorrow and you wouldn't recognise them. Therefore, naturally the footballers tales of squalidarity will get feasted on by the press, whereas if there are similar stories from athletes, chances are no one will find out.

Yes totally agree. I am sure many watched Mo Farah having little idea who he was.

Most footballers have lived , played, retired and died with little impact on the gossip columns. Most still do but a hard core seem to want to and are encouraged to have an impact beyound their sport.

Its quiet funny when the press try to do it beyound football and show how little they know of sport beyound the big three of football, rugby and cricket. There was a picture printed of Unsain Bolt in the back of a car with a "mystery"blonde woman in the front and it was pitched with the usual nudge nudge wink wink angle. If anyone had done their home work they would know the woman was one Marion Steininger
    Director of PACE Sports management. They also represent Mo Farah.

Yes I am that geeky I recognise athletes management.