Kindle

12346»

Comments

• RedjeepRedjeep ✭✭✭

Apologies for highjacking this thread (but I don't think I'm the first to do it), but does anybody know anything about the Kindle Fire that's about to be released ?

Are they as good as they seem ? I want one to use as a tablet, read books, surf the web watch movies etc, but was wondering if anybody has an opinion. They seem great value.

• They seem a good value tablet, but like all tablets it will be harder to read in direct sunlight then using eInk.  Basically they are like most screens it will have glare and reflection. I haven't seen one so I don't  know how much glare etc... it might be perfectly acceptable but I can tell you that on a really bright summers day it's impossible to read outside on an iPad, and this might not be as bad.... but it will still be a lot harder than on a kindle.

It looks great value, for me, if I was buying a tablet it would be the HD Amazon Fire or iPad.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

or google nexus 7? similar priced to the kindle fire...both quite a bit cheaper than an ipad - and both have various pros and cons. I think the kindles are better for reading outside...

• Remember Kindle Fire is not a 'Kindle' in the ebook sense, but is an Android tablet. As Booktrunk says - it's a backlit screen, so will not read as easily as a 'Kindle'.

If you want an ebook, get a proper Kindle. If you want a tablet, consider the Kindle Fire/Nexus/Galaxy Tab/etc.

• RedjeepRedjeep ✭✭✭

Thanks for the replies. I'd say it will be more for use as a tablet and the times I'll be reading it outside in bright sunlight will be fairly low (living in the west of Ireland and all that).

• Hehe, hard to beat the for the price as a tablet.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FWIW I have an anti-glare screen on my tablet and it's made a huge reduction to the glare issue from sun light or office lights!

• Any thoughts on what's available now please? Doesn't need to be too fancy for me; just so I can read stuff on the train image

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭

I'm a Kindle fan, and the bog standard Kindle would be ideal.  Long battery life, lightweight and easy to read.  If you are likely to want to read it in the dark, the paperwhite is apparently great, but £50 dearer (standard is £59).

I have a Fire, but it's a tablet so is bigger, heavier, and I suspect more fragile (although it tends to live by my bed, so I've not tested the theory).  The battery life is also much shorter (especially if like me you get distracted by the apps/internet and forget to read......).

However, if your train is busy and you have to stand a lot, I did notice the Kobo Mini in WH Smith recently.  It's *tiny*.  On the downside, it doesn't have the great reviews for useability and customer service that the Kindle has, but it's certainly portable.