Mr. Phil Pub I think someone has upset some of the girls in your Club

2»

Comments

• I don't know seren, it's really a question for the club but I don't think they're trying to exclude anyone or put them off joining. 

• PhilPub wrote (see)

Cinders - the shorts are in there somewhere...

Ah yes...the club where Kenny Everett lives on! 

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    Cheerful Dave wrote (see)
    PhilPub wrote (see)

Karen does have a point though. The gallery may be a good advert for what goes on at the pointy end of competition but it's not as representative of overall membership activities as it could be.  And I do have some input so I will be having words.

But the shorts are staying.

Well, on that note the 'Some of our athletes' section is also exclusively male.  That said, since it's obviously focussed on the very sharp end, if you don't have any women members at that level you get accused of tokenism if you add an athlete competing at a lower level.  You can't win really.

Why are the folks in "some of our athletes" all from the pointy end?  Why not have a mix of abilities?

If you want to highlight the more successful ones, call it "our faster athletes" or something.

It never occurred to me to think about how many men or women there were in my running club before I joined, nor in my cycling club.  

However, PP's club site does look very male-dominated, and very serious about competing!

Do they welcome barely-sub-55 minute 10k runners? image

• every piccie in the gallery is male..................Phil......you looked like you were not very comfortable in those shorts.........it looked like you were hiding something in themimage

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Now, what could Phil be hiding in his shorts?

• looked like he had just shat himself to be honest image

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Yikes, those are *short* shorts image

literatin...you were right image

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Is it to do with this....

Lots of different speed 10k groups then....

Adrian M***** – Long Distance (Seniors). Women’s group and 40 + min 10km men. Starts at 7:00pm.

So the women train o with the slower men.... what if they are quicker then 40m...... image Not trying to cause an argument just a comment!!

• Could do with running a spell check over the site as well perhaps... memeber!

• And therein lies the answer to the conundrum.

Blokes of all paces and woman fast types are drawn in with the pictures of Olympians in GB vests, the rest of the good ladies of Kent are attracted by pictures of Phil Pub and his unfeasibly brief shorts.

• Must be draughty in the winter image

• Big_Bad_Bob wrote (see)

Phil Pub and his unfeasibly brief shorts.

Isn't that a character in Viz?

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    booktrunk wrote (see)

Is it to do with this....

Lots of different speed 10k groups then....

Adrian M***** – Long Distance (Seniors). Women’s group and 40 + min 10km men. Starts at 7:00pm.

So the women train o with the slower men.... what if they are quicker then 40m...... image Not trying to cause an argument just a comment!!

There's nothing to say that the 33 - 40min group is gender-specific. We've had a few speedier woman joining the "B group" from time to time.

JMopper wrote (see)

Could do with running a spell check over the site as well perhaps... memeber!

Yep, and a missing apostrophe on the front page.  We drew up a little list at the last committee meeting.  Bear with us...  image

And Wilkie - yes, more than welcome.  The more the merrier! (If you remember to pay your subs. image )

• Buster Gonad was indeed the the man behind my thinking of the description, Dave.

There'd be some mileage in an offshoot character here though, don't you think?

• Wilkie wrote (see)

However, PP's club site does look very male-dominated, and very serious about competing!

Do they welcome barely-sub-55 minute 10k runners? image

I doubt they'd turn anyone away, but it's fair to say there may be other clubs more suited: running covers such a wide range of ages, speeds and competitiveness that it's hard for a single club to cater for everyone completely.

Some clubs will measure success in terms of how many promising young athletetes they turn into Olympians, other clubs measure success by how many former couch potatoes they get out running regularly.  There's nothing inherently wrong with either but it's inevitable that people gravitate towards clubs close to their own needs.  As runners we're fortunate that there are hundreds of clubs to choose from, if indeed you want to join one at all.

Other sports aren't so lucky: fewer clubs and often with little room for the 'recreational' participant (for want of a better word).

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Big_Bad_Bob wrote (see)

There'd be some mileage in an offshoot character here though, don't you think?

I want royalties.  Unfeasibly large ones.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
  • SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

I was asked to write an article for my club web site aimed at enouraging slower runners to join and maybe enter the occassional event even if they didn't consider themselves elite runners.  So I wrote about my experience of coming last in a race and the support and encouragement I got from my club.  I felt that it helped to show that the club was open to ALL abilities

We also had some events that the club subsidised to get new people into doing events.  Photos of everyone wearing a club vest, no matter what their ability, were posted on the website to show the full range of runners that we had.

• Only just catching up with this thread...HOLY SHIT, those are short shorts Phil!

Also, did someone mention member?!

• Is it in fact a running club for gayers?

• From the thumbnail it looks like a large member is already making a bid for freedom image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Cripes, I can see what some people are saying about that club now...from the pics it looks super elite!

I'd be put off myself, as it looks like PubPhil is one of the slow ones!

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

It's okay Stevie, they'd probably let you train with the women's group.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

they have no women's section, as the standard is so high.

It's an ugly cycle.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

They do! Booktrunk spotted it. They have a special group just for women and also slow men. Maybe we could both go along to that.

• It is a shame Kent AC's website focuses solely on the elite men.  The women may not reach the lofty heights of some of the men but they make a valid contribution (there would be no annual road race without their help, for example).  I am surprised someone here found mention of the women's training group - well done, I couldn't see anything!  It's not just the women who are missing but also the veterans (of whom I believe Phil is one).  They not only still compete but also do a lot of running of the club.