Old folk - pros and cons

2»

Comments

• oiyouoiyou ✭✭✭

Rickster - to judge by the state of some younger folk I see around I doubt that your comment about less time to live is true.

• oi.you wrote (see)

Rickster - to judge by the state of some younger folk I see around I doubt that your comment about less time to live is true.

You're probably right on that one. Some of them already slouch down and have an arched back at 16. What are they going to be like at 40?

• I find it funny how delusional middle-aged people are about their youthfullness. To those who are actually young rather than 'feel' young you (we) are the old folk.

• vellooo wrote (see)

I find it funny how delusional middle-aged people are about their youthfullness. To those who are actually young rather than 'feel' young you (we) are the old folk.

I agree.i look at ther middle aged people around me and think you are so old......i will never be as old as youimage

• I think a good indicator is when you start to "potter".

I don't exactly know what "pottering" involves but when I'm old I'm sure I will one day realise I am pottering and at that moment acknowledge that I'm old.

• Demon Barber wrote (see)

I think a good indicator is when you start to "potter".

I don't exactly know what "pottering" involves but when I'm old I'm sure I will one day realise I am pottering and at that moment acknowledge that I'm old.

Ditto. I've never seen "pottering" in action and don't know what it looks like. Deadheading roses perhaps? Tightening the screws on things?

• It is indeed a mystery. Men seem to "potter" around garden sheds.

I've also noticed that a lot of old people in this part of the world get to a certain age and then start referring to things in plural?

Most of the old boys have quite strong rural accents, they would say for example "you gettin down that ploughs tonight then?"

Which roughly translates to "will you be visiting The Plough Public House this evening?"

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Rickster wrote (see)

The old person's guide to driving.

70mph speed limit means drive at 40mph.

30mph speed limit means drive at 40mph.

Everyone knows that you live there, even people who aren't even from the area, so you you can turn in to your driveway without indicating.

Drive at 22mph in 4th gear. It won't do your car any harm.

Insist on call 5th gear an overdrive.

It doesn't matter if you are turning left, right or going straight up at a roundabout. You can still take the left hand lane and stick to the outside of the roundabout, cutting up all of the other drivers. including several HGVs.

Of course tartan seat and steering wheel covers are the hight of fashion.

Even though you are driving a Vauxhall Corsa that is only 6 months old, you still have to double declutch everytime you change a gear, just as if you're driving a baby Austin.

You don't need to brake, as you can slow down using your gears. Everyone will be telepathic, so will instinctively know that you are slowing down, even though your brake lights won't illuminate using this method.

And if its an old bloke driving, its odds on he'll be wearing a hat.

🙂

• Demon Barber wrote (see)

It is indeed a mystery. Men seem to "potter" around garden sheds.

Yes but I've always thought that might be a euphemism for something else DB...image

• Screamapillar wrote (see)

Demon Barber wrote (see)

Yes but I've always thought that might be a euphemism for something else DB...image

I shouldn't think so at their age!! haha. I am happy just to convince myself that old people don't do anything saucy. They just eat sweets and watch Countdown.

• They also drink a lot of tea and eat biscuits - I'm quite looking forward to that bit.

I do intend to remain saucy for as long as possible though. And when my hair goes properly grey I've already decided I'm going to cut it short and dye it bright pink!

• Screamapillar wrote (see)

They also drink a lot of tea and eat biscuits - I'm quite looking forward to that bit.

I do intend to remain saucy for as long as possible though. And when my hair goes properly grey I've already decided I'm going to cut it short and dye it bright pink!

Absolutley!! grow old disgracefully. I intend to try and stay in decent shape and have a good time. Age is just a number.

I'm not quite old enough generally speaking to be going grey but the prospect doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I'm not fussed about wrinkles or any of that stuff. I might end up with a face like a prune's wallet but hey ho. Life happens.

• "A face like a prune's wallet" - never heard that one before, LOL image

• I was going to comment on this thread but I've forgotten what it was about................................

• .................aahh yes, being, and getting, old is far better than the alternativeimage

Just make sure you wear out not rust out!!

• Con - They sometimes smell funny and clog up supermarkets in the evening and weekends when they;ve had all day to shop.

pro - Full of knowledge and amusing stories

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Demon Barber wrote (see)
    Screamapillar wrote (see)

Demon Barber wrote (see)

I shouldn't think so at their age!! haha. I am happy just to convince myself that old people don't do anything saucy. They just eat sweets and watch Countdown.

I'm certain the sight of Rachel Riley on Countdown would have many old men pottering frantically!

• Pro.they must hae bad eyeslight........in atraffic jam today a old man wouund down his window and said good morning to me.........he then told me I was looking very beautiful today  and he liked my hair........

I was all red and sweaty and dresed in lycra on my bike at the timeimageimage

• Pro's.  They're not fussy.

Con's.  They smell.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

sorry seren....I thought you were Rachel Riley

• Seriously?

Pro's.  They've lived in a world you can never visit.

Con's.  Soon they'll be gone.

• jelly bean wrote (see)

Seriously?

Pro's.  They've lived in a world you can never visit.

Con's.  Soon they'll be gone.

You could reverse the Pros and Cons.

• I'm very interested to know just what yardstick you are using to label people "old." Nowadays surely it's more a matter of how fit and active in body and mind a person is rather than how many birthdays they've seen? My 80-year-old neighbour who goes out cycling every day is a lot fitter than many lazy slobs half his age.

• Bionic Ironwolf wrote (see)

I'm very interested to know just what yardstick you are using to label people "old." Nowadays surely it's more a matter of how fit and active in body and mind a person is rather than how many birthdays they've seen? My 80-year-old neighbour who goes out cycling every day is a lot fitter than many lazy slobs half his age.

It depends. Does your neighbour "potter"?

• Not that I'm aware of. And he's deffo got all his marbles. So we come back to my question - what's the criteria? My brother has been "pottering" for years but isn't old/

• John Glenn was 77 when he flew on space shuttle Discovery's mission in October 1998. He was quoted as saying "Now I knew I came up here for something, what was it..."

•  They can do whatever they like and nobody says anything. Like for instance going round Asda they will just STOP for no reason whatsoever in the middle of the aisle. Plus they can be a bit racist and nobody bats and eyelid. Also they can drive at 10mph on a motorway slowing down for any bends.

The only con is they smell of wee