Pay Or Not Pay?

Comments

• we could sort out GP's. a couple of years ago i got blisters on the bottom of my feet.....they became infected......I saw a friend who said they needed antibiotics..

I phoned up my GP telling the receptionist I needed an appointment for antibiotics....she told me that she had no appointments at all...i said that I only needed a quick appointment even with the nurse practitioner..I was told to wait until the surgery closed and then phone the out of hours number at the hospital or go to teh A&E dept right then

I then had to go to the hospital for the out of hours doctors who straight away took one look and prescribed antibiotics and a special cream....

surgeries should not be telling people to go to hospital for relatively minor things when they are openimage

• Samuel Karen wrote (see)
    Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
    Getting most GP's to work 8am to 8:30am 5 days a week would be a start

You mean 8am-8.30pm 5 days a week

Not round here, Sometimes it's even 8:00 to 9:00 AM

• Yet another stupid NHS web site.... My nearest walk in centre according to them is 5 miles away...... Shame the Mersey is between me and it !
  • CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Not everywhere has a walk in centre.

• There's definitely scope in making more treatments available over the counter, like in the USA.

Obviously, you have to pay to see a doctor over there so their pharmacies are much better stocked than ours. Given the litigation culture over there I dread to think what dire warnings they put in some of the eaflets but it seems to work. 

• Samuel Karen wrote (see)

And  David Cameron PM wants them to work 8am-8pm 7days a week!

Given that they are providing primary healthcare I don't think that's wholly unreasonable although just running from 8.30-6 every day with a late night or two would probably be adequate.

In urban areas you could probably run a system where different surgeries take it in turns to provide weekend cover so you might not always see your doctor at your surgery but there would always be one available within a certain distance.

But then hospitals manage to be staffed 24/7 and even vets have a 24/7 emergency service it so why not a GP's surgery? Practice nurses do lots of the routine stuff now anyway.

• GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭
    I'd kick off by making those who don't work have the GP appts in working hours, leaving the evening appts for those who work. I'd scrap the rule about getting an appt within 24 hrs so I can book a convienient appt a week in advance.

I'd get the NHS to organise themselves. A friend had to wait 8 hours to be discharged after a long planned op. He was waiting for his prescription. Can you imagine that in a private business? You'd get it ready the day before.

My mum works for the NHS and gets nearly 35 days holiday. Plus statutory. I'd say most in industry get 25+ statutory.

I'd sort out the obesity problem. Obesity leads to diabetes which costs a fortune, read the stats on how often diabetic ulcers lead to amputations and to death. Obesity contributes to dementia.

The NHS is good but it could be a whole lot better. Political parties or whatever colour won't do what is needed, Tories will get accused rightly or wrongly or privatisation by the back door, the unions won't allow Labour to do anything.
  • Virgin Health is bidding for lots of work round here, going to shake things up
  • Trains, airlines, credit cards, music, radio station ...space travel...

Think you are being a bit limited Karen
  • They even used to do weddings at one point.

• Yes of course they did image

What you mean is that you just didn't get in.

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Why, what experience have you had?

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Then why would we trust you?

• Virgin Healthcare are making big strides into the NHS.
  • Anyone who can run an organisation based upon efficiency and customer service could make massive inroads into the NHS, we just have to remove the "hands off" from the current incumbents to get to the improvements

•  

Runnin man wrote (see)

Anyone who can run an organisation based upon efficiency and customer service could make massive inroads into the NHS, we just have to remove the "hands off" from the current incumbents to get to the improvements

Yes because that always happens when you put services (or parts of them) into the hands of the private sector doesn't it? The service always improves and it never ends up costing more does it?

Like transport..and energy...and water...

• Our utilities were sold to Joe Public in the knowledge that he would sell on to the speculators at the first hint of profit. Our utilities are now in the hands of private foreign speculators so I'd say a totally different case, we are simply being held to ransom.

• Perhaps if the NHS got rid of a couple of tiers of management ?

In our area 2 PCT's have been amalgamated to form 1 new trust.....

They have made clinical staff redundant, whilst employing over a 100 new managers !

A consultant I know is the only person on the planet who still has 3.5" disk drive on her pc ! Bet when Virgin Health take over it ends up in a museum   

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Samuel Karen wrote (see)

NHS and Virgin don't mix!  Trust me on this.

I agree, one is fucked the other isn't!

🙂

• It may be a slightly different case but why do you think the effects wouldn't be the same?

Private companies are there primarily to make profit. Virgin Health could make it by charging or cutting services. What a great choice for the patient.

• Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

Perhaps if the NHS got rid of a couple of tiers of management ?

In our area 2 PCT's have been amalgamated to form 1 new trust.....

They have made clinical staff redundant, whilst employing over a 100 new managers !

A consultant I know is the only person on the planet who still has 3.5" disk drive on her pc ! Bet when Virgin Health take over it ends up in a museum   

I don't disagree with that!