Reading as you run

2»

Comments

• for many people it is reading.

although there was a scrawny wee chap at my school who scurried about the place with his nose in a book. he did bump into the occasional wall, but it didnt seem to put him off.

• PhilPub wrote (see)

And the obesity crisis, cos it's the only reading you can do while running!  "Are you breathing comfortably?  Then I'll begin..."

the dude abides wrote (see)

although there was a scrawny wee chap at my school who scurried about the place with his nose in a book. he did bump into the occasional wall, but it didnt seem to put him off. 

He wasn't a maths teacher by any chance? One of ours used to read-walk and even read short stories by Ian McEwan to the class during maths lessons!

• he was seven at the time....but he probably is now! image

off out for chapters 7-10 of moby dick (or maybe 11). this is how i measure my runs now.

• You could always sit & watch someone else go round a track and then say you've been for a run.  You could even read a book while you're doing it image

What's your average pace in miles per chapter?

I also had a teacher who walked around with his nose in a book, but he seemed to avoid walls.  Worked by echo-location, probably. 

• like a bat? clever. i don't have the ears/arms/wings for that.

i'd say i average a chapter every two miles. moby dick is very inconsistent, though, chapter 9 took up half my run this afternoon! felt like shit. also a little queasy. seasickness? image

• the more I get into audio books the less dismissive I feel about them. done well, they are so vivid and engrossing, and every bit as valuable.

we were joking about the educational benefit but I recall with great clarity being read stories at school and at home, well after I was able to read, and those experiences have remained with me. it also makes you pay a different sort of attention to the meaning and sublety of the language in a way that you can skim past as you read.

• Dude - Is it just coincidence that I see from Google's homepage it is the 161st anniversary of Moby Dick? It's one of those books that I always intend to read one day, but will probably never get round to it. I presume you mean that the chapter lengths vary considerably when you say that it's inconsistent. How are you finding it?

• I often watch people running and count it as training Dave ;0)

I have also fallen over a piece of street furniture in spectacular arms and legs awaving style while walk reading. Once I'd picked myself up I was gutted to learn no one had witnessed it (phew).
  • I love the old classics - I really don't think I've MD - let us know what you think Dude image

• I've never read while running, but I have tried to compose stories while I was running. It made a nice change from thinking about what had been happening at work that day.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • gul dar - i don't think its a coincidence. that must be why it is being serialised here http://www.mobydickbigread.com/

its pretty good, not sure about the david cameron chapter though! image

furball - i love it so far. it's so.....so......redolent image

• I tried reading actual physical books on the treadmill when I was studying for my A-levels.  I ended up with so many bruises on my arms from where I ran too fast and hit the front of the treadmill that I went back to loud music and mental oblivion!

The audiobook idea is a good one though - I might have to try it.  Not that I have a treadmill now that I'm a poor student, but people might look at me strangely if I start running along the road with my nose in a book (I say that as if I'm not clumsy enough already...)

• The dude... which was your favourite Dickens? I'm doing that predictable thing of reading all of them in order and I'm up to David Copperfield. Only just started that, so I have to say I rather liked Barnaby Rudge so far, the first of his 'historical' novels.

• daisyjess - now that's impressive. when I was injured I used a cross-trainer and I could (just about) read on that but a treadmill? that's hardcore image

im ultra training at the moment so i find audio books particularly beneficial for those long slow miles. not sure how it would work for a tempo run...maybe a thriller! image

peter - i like the humour and the detail of the old curiosity shop but overall?...great expectations.

• Do the dickens novels have to be read in a particular order then ? I thought they were individual books so it didnt matter. I've just downloaded Great Expectations

• Carterusm, Dickens' novels are individual books, but a lot of people read them in chronological order to see how he progressed as a novelist.  They get a lot more subtle as you go through them - Oliver Twist sort of beats you around the head with melodramatic goop but by the time Dickens got to Great Expectations he could really write incredible books!  GE is one of my favourites, especially the bit in the marshes.

(yes, I like books image )

edit: and some people are like me ie. anal enough to read them in order just because!

• Is there much sex, violance, drugs, aliens in any of his books ??

Nothing wrong with being anal image