School Reunions... have you been to one..?

I missed the one where my leaving year would have all turned 40...  and I am expecting that as we approach turning 50 someone will start talking about doing a reunion again...

What are they like...?   I remember some bizarre stats from the last one where three people in my class had become professional ski instructors and were still doing it...  a few people in other classes had committed suicide... 

I've never been to a reunion and I'm not entirely sure whether I'd go to a 50th...  but I think my curiosity to see whether the girl I adored in class , Heidi, turned into a MILF might just convince me to go.... image

Comments

• For some strange reason I was always left off the guest list for our reunions.

Did run into my old geography teacher once who said "Oh so you're out then" (meaning out of prison not out as in gay I don't think). Obviousl;y made a good impression in my school days

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I was invited to one, but it was so soon after we left school that I didn't bother to go.

An old friend I hadn't seen for the best part of thirty years tracked me down and invited me to her fiftieth birthday party, but I didn't go to that either!

I wouldn't have minded being a fly on the wall, though, seeing what everyone looked like after all that time.

• Wilkie wrote (see)

I wouldn't have minded being a fly on the wall, though, seeing what everyone looked like after all that time.

That's what is so great about Facebook image

• And no, I haven't been to one but I suppose it's still a bit early for my ex-classmates. On the other hand, I'm in touch with everyone I want to keep in touch with ... don't really want to make awkward smalltalk with the rest of them ... Except maybe for the girl who called me fat in Year 7, and who I last saw stuffing a KFC family bucket down her gullet while I was on mile 19 of a 20 Mile race, and then the conversation would be along the lines of "Who's fat now, eh?!" image

• No, never been invited to one & not sure I'd go. There is something to be said for moving on and not going back to revisit the past.

I did go back to my old secondary school 10 years after I'd left, to present the prizes at prixegiving. I'd not long got my PhD, and mum mentioned it to the head (who she used to see occasionally) and next thing I know, there's a letter in the post asking me to present the prizes. Funny thing was, I never won a prize when I was there. Caught up with some of my old teachers, which was odd, to say the least.

Although I can see the attraction of seeing what's become of them all (in some cases because I'm interested, in other to gloat over their decline) A few years after we'd left school I saw this chap I fancied rotten aged 14, he'd really badly gone to seed and I did think what a lucky escape.

• Not had one yet and our 10 years since leaving rolled around last year - no one did anything. Not sure I'd want to go...mixed memories of school and not sure I could suffciently supress the bad ones enough to go.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

The only thing like a reunion I've had was going back to my old school about 6months after leaving. I can only imagine it must have been to collect qualification certificates or something?! You'd be called out and go on stage to collect them

Was quite uncomfortable, as the few people I'd got on with didn't turn up.

Have a potential Uni 10 years reunion this Sep...am slightly concerned, as there's only a couple on the list I even remember! Only saving grace is living in the town still, so i have no travel worries!

• No. Not remotely interested.

Anyone I wanted to keep in touch with I have. I don't care about the rest.

• I agree with Screamapillar. I don't really care. Some have got fat, some look older than they should and the wonder of Facebook keeps me informed of those things via other people. I don't really want people to know about my life now when they didn't want to know about it then.

• Nope. I am definitely a move on and leave the past behind kind of person.

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

I have been to 2. They have not been massive events. The first was nearly all people who I was at primary school with which was very strange. I met quite a few people on the second one who I remembered but didn't remember me which was quite good fun.

The best part is to see how people have matured. Adults seem to want to get along with each other far more than kids do.

D. went back to our school some years after leaving as part of an IMECHE initiative. Some of the teachers mistook him for his brother before he corrected them. D is dyslexic and struggled at school as they refused to recognise it. He was just labelled lazy, unco-operative etc. He did quite enjoy running their noses in it. He only went back as he wanted to point out the error of their ways. I doubt that they'd recognise him now as a person.

• No. Not in the least interested. I did contact one old friend through Friends Reunited website but we have nothing in common any more - she plays golf, I agree with Churchill that it is a good way to ruin a perfectly good walk. Like Screamapillar, friends I want to keep in touch with I have. Not bothered about the others.

• I've been to several.  I think it depends on your school as much as anything else.  For us it was like we had never been away on the whole (it was a boarding school - though I don't know if that makes a difference)